Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Explain to me why you bought a Tactical in .45ACP.

I eventually want to get a Tactical but I don't understand why someone would buy one in .45. Excuse my ignorance as I'm still fairly new to firearms.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
140 Posts

I eventually want to get a Tactical but I don't understand why someone would buy one in .45. Excuse my ignorance as I'm still fairly new to firearms.

Thanks in advance
I like full size guns. And the balance of the fs vs the short or med just fits me better. A bit better muzzle volocity too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can actually carry this gun, since I carry OWB. Had to retrain a tad to lift my arm higher, but it works. Finding a holster was hard, though. Ended up with a belt slide.

I also like to do IPSC. For that, I wanted the Tactical for its longer sight radius. The .45 because it can knock down those poppers.

Instead of buying two guns, I bought one.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I own a Tactical model (45 ACP) as well as Service (45 ACP) and Sub-Compact (9mm) and like all of them. I'm a big fan of the 45 given its ballistics and stopping power. That's my preferred caliber for any handgun. The Tactical is more accurate and felt recoil seems to be lower than the other 45 (though not as low as my heavier 1911s) . In addition, using my carry ammo, I get a bit more out of the Tactical model but that's marginal and not really a consideration. Also, since I like to carry my gun with the Surefire light attached, the difference between the Service and Tactical barrel is not relevant, as the light makes it about 5" anyway.

As for year round carry, now that it's getting colder, all the models are pretty easy to conceal. So 4" vs. 5" makes no difference in late fall or winter. For late spring and summer it's a bit different but a fanny pack or CrossBreed holster takes care of that issue) so that and the fact I don't usually attach the light during long summer days).

So my 2 cents to you is to go to a range where you can try out the guns and buy the one you shoot best with. It'a all about you and what you shoot (and hit) best with.

Better yet, given the relatively low price of the XD, buy one of each size :p and have a nice collection.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i bought mine cause it was cool. no seriously. longer sight radius, little longer and heavier on the nose so less muzzle flip and felt recoil and it is a full size gun. did i mention that it holds 13 rounds of 45 auto. yes that is correct 13 rounds. not sure about the service but the compact has a ten round mag is i am not mistaken. but back to square one it is just a cool gun. and it has tactical engraved on the slide. you can't beat that.:cool:
but like stated above try them all out and seee which you like then buy. either way you won't be disappointed

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got my XD-45 Tactical because I wanted a full size serious carry weapon I could depend on. The longer sight radius and the extra heft just felt right for my hand. Test fire alot of guns before you make a decision. Price was right too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really had my eye on a Tactical when they first came out, but at the time, I just couldn't afford to buy it. Then a couple of months later, I won one in prize give-away by my gun club. If I were buying and had to choose between the Tactical and the Service model, I'd probably go with the Service model because of overall size. But, I love the Tactical. It's fun to shoot and very accurate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're going to think I'm nuts but I wanted to out-do my own 1911. Seriously. I built a full custom Colt 1911 and I wanted to make a gun that'd shoot just as well but for much less $$. I've gotta admit I'm getting pretty damn close with the XD-45 5". FYI, this is NOT my carry gun or any defensive gun for that matter.

·
Registered
465 Posts
An oft overlooked point: If you have a Tactical and a Compact, you essentially have all 4 Springfield XDs. I started with a Compact and wanted to move up to a bigger gun so it made most sense for me to go with the tactical. Its actually really not all that big of a pistol. I mount a light on it (and a can at times), and its my house gun. There is a huge advantage to having a consistent manual of arms, trigger, and sights between the gun you carry on the street and the gun you wake up with and grab.

Oh, and its cool. Who are we kidding. Need and want are different verbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have carried 5" 1911's for years. The XD tactical is no longer than a 1911, it is slightly thicker through the slide and obviously through the grip but that's it. When carried IWB the extra length makes no difference- you can carry a bazooka IWB......

For me the balance is much better and I like the extra inch of sighting radius- while just an inch it's 25% greater than a Service model.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I have carried 5" 1911's for years. The XD tactical is no longer than a 1911, it is slightly thicker through the slide and obviously through the grip but that's it. When carried IWB the extra length makes no difference- you can carry a bazooka IWB......

For me the balance is much better and I like the extra inch of sighting radius- while just an inch it's 25% greater than a Service model.
XD and 1911 are actually about the same width in the grip but the XD is much more square and the 1911 is more barrel shape, the FEEL is totaly different.
I got my Compact Tactical because I already had the Compact and LOVED the grip, the CT will be my "paper puncher". All I've done so far is add Dawson adjustables but a Powder River trigger will go on it eventually.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
For a range, duty or house gun, I can't think of a better 45acp. I love my 1911s & the XDTac is my fav. non 1911 45acp. It's the perfect size for shooting quickly, good balance, great feel, good trigger & accurate as you'll ever find in a factory pistol.

·
Registered
609 Posts
A) I wanted an XD45 for home defense so that my bedside guns had an identical manual of arms and a near-identical feel to the the XD9 Tactical I shoot thousands of rounds a year through in competition.

B) I like the weight, balance, and recoil control that is offered by the Tactical model.

C) I plan to occasionally use the XD45 Tactical as an IDPA CDP division gun.

·
Registered
541 Posts

Thanks in advance
Like several others here, I have always been a fan of the 45 ACP. I own many handguns in various calibers but I prefer a 45 ACP in a situation where I need to depend on a handgun to defend myself with.

The 5" Tactical version is a better balanced handgun over the 4" Service version in my opinion. In addition, due to its extra weight, getting the sights back on target for follow-up shots is quicker. The extra sight radius helps in practical accuracy as well. The XD 45 Tactical is a serious no nonsense fighting handgun.

I like the Tactical so much I bought a second one, a bi-tone version and have installed a Streamlight TLR-1 Tactical weapon light. Its my go to handgun for things that go bump in the night.

·
Registered
133 Posts
IMO, the 45ACP does it's best work when launched out of a 5" barrel. 230gr slugs need a little more time to get up to speed, and I like launching big slugs. My next XD will be in 9mm, so a 4" tube will do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Contrary to what your wife / girlfriend tells you, SIZE DOES MATTER :lol:

On a lighter note, I like the balance of the 5" barrel, and also subscribe to the big bullet / long barrel theory (230 gr). I guess if it came down to carrying, I'd opt for the midget XD's, but as it's a fun gun that does double duty as a nightstand defense gun I opted for the larger gun. It just has that "Are you feeling lucky punk?" look to it.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
eventually want to get a Tactical but I don't understand why someone would buy one in .45
Now that you got lots of feedback on the topic, which way are you going to go? Will you buy a Tactical or was it just whim based discussion :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got my XD as I had been wanting a .45 for awhile, and finally decided it was time. I've had a Glock 19 as my go-to gun for about 15 years now so I was initially leaning towards a Glock 21SF. But then I heard about the XDs and was intrigued. I went to the range and fired some, and I was impressed. As much as the Glock felt initially familiar, I had to admit that despite years of shooting my Glock, the 1911 style grip angle of the XD felt more natural to me (who knew?). The trigger felt smoother, it had a bit less felt recoil, and I shot better with it. I was sold.

As to why I chose the Tactical model? I already have a compact gun in my G19, and wanted a full size .45 model. It's my first .45 and I figured a full size model would be easier to shoot and adapt to, and so far my XD has done well in that regard. I like the way it feels and balances in my hand, with or without a full clip.

In fact, I like my XD so much I'm now waiting for the XDM 9mm model to come out so I can buy one of those as well. My trusty Glock will get "retired" from nightstand etc duty and the XDM will take over, with it's big brother the .45 when I want a bigger gun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts