Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a XD-45 Tactical (used) in putting the the first box of rounds through it I found that it seemed to be off target. The gun was originally purchased in July of 2006, and I have all the original reciepts. I am not sure how many rounds the previous owner has put through this weapon, however I do know that it could not have been all that many, as the riffelings in the Barrel still appear new and the slide still has all the paint on it.

I have been shooting for quite some time and with a smith & wesson 9mm at 25 yards I can put a very consistent grouping. With this weapon I have found that I need to adjust up and to the left to get close to the target. I am wondering if there is a break in period or if there is something functionally wrong with this weapon.

Thanks in advance
Scott

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Have someone else who shoots well shoot it and see if it's you or the gun. I found my Tactical to have different aimpoints with different ammo (mostly bullet weight) but they aren't very far off. What is your ammo? Can you try it with different ammo? When I get a new gun it takes me time to learn the grip feel, I nearly always group hi/low/right/left at first. That's one reason I have three XDs and pretty much just shoot them now; they all feel the same.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point the Ammo I grabbed was blazer at Wal-Mart so that could be a part of it. I am going to have somone else shoot it, the problem is I am a better shot than most of the people I shoot with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The rear sight on my 45 Tactical was off when I bought mine new. It would shoot 1 & 1/2 inches off center at 15 yards.

Once I replace the stock sights with Meprolights (that I can adjust myself) all is good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... again for all the insight, my only concern is my ability to hit the same target with a Smith and Wesson 9mm at the same distance with considerably more consistancy and put a nice grouping in the target.

Any Idea's what the main difference between a Smith & wesson and the XD?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I shoot mostly xd's-long ones & short ones. before that I was a 1911 man. I was pretty good; not great but good.
then I got and xd. it took some getting used to but I got it down.
I spotted an Operator available in Houston and I jumped on it. I spent many trips to the range trying to get decent groups out of it.
finally i called Springfield and asked how an Operator comes from the factory; what are the sights set for? she told me and asked what the problem was and I told her that I can't hit squat w/this high dollar gun after shooting my cheap xd. she told me that is a common complaint-an xd is unlike most other guns.
it may take a while to get your grip down but when you do you may feel like selling all your other guns since you won't shoot them as well.
where do yopu think got my Operator?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XDMikey;

I don't follow what you are getting at? Sorry if I seem a little slow. Are you saying that after I get used to my XD that I will be a terrible shot with my Smith and others?

I can see a SA operator being a little biased in their opinion.

How many rounds did it take before you were able to consistently shoot the weapon with accuracy? I have concerns because this is my weapon of choice for my personal / family protection and I want to be as accurate as possible with this.

Thanks
Scott

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I say bench shoot it before you put blame on the pistol itself. Get a proper pistol rest and shoot it at 25 yards, if it is off than you could probably put blame on the pistol otherwise it could be you getting used to a new firearm. Just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
XDMikey;

I don't follow what you are getting at? Sorry if I seem a little slow. Are you saying that after I get used to my XD that I will be a terrible shot with my Smith and others?

I can see a SA operator being a little biased in their opinion.

How many rounds did it take before you were able to consistently shoot the weapon with accuracy? I have concerns because this is my weapon of choice for my personal / family protection and I want to be as accurate as possible with this.

Thanks
Scott
I agree with the others, there are many variables as to why you will shot one gun better than another. For one, you have had the S&W for a while and have shot it considerably more that the XD. There for, you will be a better shot with the S&W. If you consistently shot left or right, your sights need to be adjusted. If you are all over the place, trigger squeeze - grip more than likely. Good Luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was shooting Winchester 230Gr. Personal protection Ammunition at the Range and found it to be very accurate,I was hitting the Target at 50 Yards.
No Bulls eyes but I was hitting close.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Drop some snap caps in her or have your buddy do it so you don't know which mag they are in. Work on your wrist and grip, jumping from that 9 to a 45 may have you deap in the back of your mind. Bench shoot it to make sure it's not you.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I have recently purchased a XD-45 Tactical (used) in putting the the first box of rounds through it I found that it seemed to be off target. The gun was originally purchased in July of 2006, and I have all the original reciepts. I am not sure how many rounds the previous owner has put through this weapon, however I do know that it could not have been all that many, as the riffelings in the Barrel still appear new and the slide still has all the paint on it.

I have been shooting for quite some time and with a smith & wesson 9mm at 25 yards I can put a very consistent grouping. With this weapon I have found that I need to adjust up and to the left to get close to the target. I am wondering if there is a break in period or if there is something functionally wrong with this weapon.

Thanks in advance
Scott
Are you a lefty by any chance?
What S&W are you shooting?

·
Registered
14 Posts
jumping from that 9 to a 45 may have you deap in the back of your mind.
I own and fire the XD-45 tactical quite often. Its my primary weapon. Until I started reloading for it, to make low recoil target rounds. I was having a bit of trouble being consistent with any of the 230gr stuff out there due to "flinch". Dry fireing helped a little, but custom loads make me such a better shot its uncanny. Now with the the soft loads I work up for myself I know that I'm not nearly as affected by "flinch".
I'm going to eventually work the loads up to near max to see if I can slowly build my tolerance to the sharp recoil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The flinch if a factor is very small as I wanted to take that into account the smith I am shooting is a mid 80's 4609 or something like that not sure of the actual model number though off the top of my head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well...are your groups tight? If your groups are all tight but just low and to the right. Then I guess it would seem that "flinch' may not be an issue. As "flinch" tended to make my shot group go low and to the left.
I would not dissmiss using a handgun bench rest or dry firing as methods to help weed out the cause of the inaccuracy. The snap cap placed randomly in your magazine so you don't know what order its in will definitly tell you if you have developed bad habits from the recoil.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jack Sparrow; you are correct the pattern I am seeing is low and to the left. The weird part is they are grouping there....

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
went and put another 100 rounds through this gun.... MUCH better. I am seeing a better pattern and better grouping. This was different ammo as well as more time.

This is a great weapon, even my wife loves it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jack Sparrow; you are correct the pattern I am seeing is low and to the left. The weird part is they are grouping there....

Thanks
you're jerking/pulling the trigger, or you have too tight a finger grip on the pistol..

i think that everyone who shoots the XD does this at the beginning.. it goes away with more trigger time..

dry fire practice.. and pay attention to the trigger travel, and the trigger's reset.. and try to stay within that distance when shooting..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let me mix it up a little more on you. I had the same problem when I got my XD45. My problem was I was so used to shooting, that my grip was loose. As I pulled the trigger my grip tightened and I went low left. I was sure it was the gun then my wife outshot me like a bandit with the same gun. My fix was to conscientiously grip tight and it worked.

The xd45 is probably a good bit larger in the grip than the S&W. For a visual, take the guns and stand in front of the mirror and pull the trigger like you normally would...it is hard to replicate in the mirror what happens at the range, but notice your grip on the 45 and how the muzzle behaves. This is a training thing, and you just need to evaluate the cause and train to a good habit (hitting what you want).

Tim

1 - 20 of 30 Posts