Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To qualify myself I'm latter 40s, enjoy casual shooting at the range, own a couple 9mm, several 45s, a couple of 38spl, and a few rifles. My accuracy is best with my S&W model 10. This bull barreled k frame came with a nice trigger in single action and is a pleasure to shoot.

I have been shooting since my early duck hunting days age 14 or so in South Louisiana. I can tell you that when it comes to a shotgun, I suck.

That should be enough to give you an idea of my level in the hobby, sport, etc.

On to the new XD45-T. I purchased this gun new. This is an interesting gun. I have about 20 rounds through it and one modification I have in the mail is a Brooks Tactical AGrip. I find the size of the grip to work nicely but the front and backstraps are a bit rough especially the front. I've used AGrips before and have good results with them. Once on I'll return to the range and practice more.

Observations of the gun are as follows:
1. front heavy - no surprise

2. perfect ergonomics for my sized hand even when resting the trigger finger on the guard in the ready position

3. manual safety is in the ideal place for this gun and the motion of pulling and deactivation is smooth and easily done.

4. longer pull and heavier to fire compared to my G36. on a side note, I tried the G21 on for size and did not like the fit on my hand. The G30 was also not comfortable compared to the single stack G36. The M&P45 was comfortable but not as comfortable compared to the XD45 but the M&P 9 with a slip on is a great fit. I did have to send the M&P9 back to S&W to get the crunch out of the action. They did a fine job and it is a pleasure to shoot.

(after several hundred rounds I may send the XD back to SA to smooth this out a bit)

I'm hesitant to use any other gunsmith because of legal issues but would be interesting in hearing readers opinions on this subject.

5. take down can be a surprise and reassembly can be a challenge. This is due to the extended spring. seating the guide rod is an effort.

6. man does that mag hold the ammo! The capacity of this pistola is incredible. With SA sending two freebie 13 cap mags, I am sitting in high cotton.

7. I considered the accessories cheap but when I tried them out, they are quite functional. The holster is as light as air and I can draw the gun with good speed. The mag carrier holds two mags and even has a tension screw. Most of all I thank SA for the mag loader. This makes those last few rounds quite easy to load.

8. my XD45 has the 3-dot sight set up. These are no frills, effective, easy to bring to target, and are easily changed out. Hats off to the Armory for this advantage.

9. I do like the grip safety. I've become accustom to this with my 1911. Having this gives a bit more assurance. It is also a talking point with nay sayers. (every family has a least one somewhere)

10. The weight. People, you can crack a skull with this gun without pulling the trigger.

11. The finish is consistent and appears to be a durable coating.

12. One thing I noticed during take down was where the slide attaches to the rear of the frame is made of plastic I believe. Same stuff as the gun. I never heard of a problem with this design but wonder if anyone knows of any issues.

This is my entry for this new purchase. I do look forward to breaking it in and getting back with my experiences. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Interesting write up and points of view. I am looking at a slightly used XD45 and you make great buying points for me.[Other choice is a XDm9]

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Zero issues with the poly rear slide rails, they will outlast the beefy steel rails by a large margin I would imagine, and since they are only a guide suffer very little stress.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just bought a XD .45 Tactical and love the thing. I have been a Glock G-21 fan for many years. I still like the Glock platform but the XD tactical has replaced my G-21 for my daily carry. I love it that much.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My first XD was the 45service. I loved the damn thing so much, I purchased the 45tactical. I have put close to 1000 rounds through both. I am very accurate shooting both. With my love for reloading, I have fed them both bullets from 155gs to 250gs. The only prob I have ever had with Fail to Feed ever with either has been with 200fp leads. Wich ironically is my best performing round in my G21.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
4. longer pull and heavier to fire compared to my G36. on a side note, I tried the G21 on for size and did not like the fit on my hand. The G30 was also not comfortable compared to the single stack G36. The M&P45 was comfortable but not as comfortable compared to the XD45 but the M&P 9 with a slip on is a great fit. I did have to send the M&P9 back to S&W to get the crunch out of the action. They did a fine job and it is a pleasure to shoot.

(after several hundred rounds I may send the XD back to SA to smooth this out a bit)

I'm hesitant to use any other gunsmith because of legal issues but would be interesting in hearing readers opinions on this subject.

7. I considered the accessories cheap but when I tried them out, they are quite functional. The holster is as light as air and I can draw the gun with good speed. The mag carrier holds two mags and even has a tension screw. Most of all I thank SA for the mag loader. This makes those last few rounds quite easy to load.

10. The weight. People, you can crack a skull with this gun without pulling the trigger.
I have the 4" Service and my buddy has the 5" Tac model. I like his but I love mine. I sent mine back to SA to do the trigger work. My buddys tac was sent back for the same work. It's 10x better than before. I would recommend sending your back to SA its their gun they should know what they are doing to it.

Hand loading the last two rounds in the mags will get easier over time. Just keep that speed loader close for when you get tired of trying.

The weight felt like a brick the first couple times I wore it on my belt. But the size of the rounds it shoots. I'm glad it weighs as much as it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts