Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been a believer of the .45acp for years. I have had a xd45 service and recently purchased the wife xd9 service model. Well I took both out today for side by side comparison. Well I like the recoil on the xd45 more than the xd9. The xd9 seems to have more of a muzzle flip compared to the recoil on the xd45. It seems to me that with the xd45 actually recoils into the hand more than the muzzle flip. I think this has made it final for me my next xd will be the xd45c:). I could just imagine the recoil on the xd40 would be very compairable to the xd9 just a little more snap.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The XD9 and XD45 are far more comparable to recoil. The XD9 has a little bit more snap and the XD45 like you said pushes back into your hand. The XD40 has a lot more snap and really is beyond both of them, IMO.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've always liked shooting the .45ACP...it just kind of pushes straight back. I'd like to have another .45, my only problem is deciding between the XD or a 1911 (I miss my 1911 :) )

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey thanks for posting this!

I was curious about how these two specific XDs would shoot back to back. I have an XD45 Service TSV and was thinking of getting an XD9 for my wife to shoot with the idea that it'd be a little easier for her to shoot, and cheaper for plinking. I agree with the description that 45 pushes back into your hand. It's a very smooth recoil and not harsh at all. I've tried 165-185gr bullets in my 45 and it got a lot harsher and snappier, which I guess would make it feel more like 9 or 40. I liked how the normal 230gr bullets felt better, so that's what I've been sticking with.

So now the debate. With one Service XD45 already, I'd really prefer a compact for another gun, but the only way to get a 9mm compact is the sub-compact XD which I don't like at all. That XD45c is tempting! :mrgreen: I'd lose out on cheaper ammo, but something more compact would be nice, and only needing to worry about one caliber of handgun ammo would be a bonus. Keeps thing simple.

Has your wife shot the 9mm? Would be curious if any ladies here have shot the 9mm and 45 Service pistols back to back as well and what they thought of the recoil.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Having shot all three calibers listed above, I really prefer 9mm overall, then probably the .45 over the .40. In my not-expert opinion, the 9mm and .40 have similar recoil characteristics but the .40 is harsher by maybe 10% or more.

I rented an H&K USP .40 in full size frame at the range this evening and put one box of CCI Blazer through it. I did OK with it but it is snappier than I like. I'll be sticking with 9mm for now.

As for my wife, she has yet to shoot my 9mm. In fact, I finally got her to shoot the Walther P22 just a couple weeks ago. There's no way I would move her to a .40 before getting comfortable with the 9mm first, and even that's going to be awhile.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No she has not shot them back to back yet. We will do that hopefully this week sometime. I'm hoping she likes the recoil on the .45 better. She really is not sure of the semi auto thing yet. She really likes revolvers, she has a 38 special snub she really likes. If she likes the 45 recoil better it will make it a little easier justifying my next xd45c purchase. If everything works out correctly maybe I will be able to score 2 more xd45's:D(both compact options 4" and 5"). Only time will tell.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts