Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I've posted. Reductions in personnel creates more work for the keepers, and believe me, I'm one grateful keeper, but it does cut in to your free time. On to my questions(s).

I've got two XD's (9mm, .40) both pre-melonite, and a Loaded Champion .45. Love 'em all. I threatened to pick up an XD45 a couple of years ago, but never followed through. However, now that Most Merciful Lord Obama's administration is looming, I'm thinking of picking one up while one can still be picked up. Based on the current chatter in this forum the XD45 looks to be every bit as rugged and dependable as any XD.

For those of you that have had an XD45 for some time, or for any time at all for that matter, any regrets, problems, praises? And I mean praises in the regard that you were more than happy (giddy perhaps :D) that you pulled the trigger and made your purchase. I'm already biased toward the .45 ACP round, so the thought of more capcity in my favorite round is more than a little appealing. I also understand that any manufactured device can have flaws, so I'm just looking for honest to goodness opinions of your XD45.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I love my XD45C and can't say enough good things about it. The size and weight is great, the grip and trigger are very natural for me (without any mods installed, yet) the recoil feels little more than my 92s and it's very accurate. I really like the fact that you can conceal easier with the 10rd mag and then reload with a 13 round mag+grip sleeve for a full sized grip. Not that the full sized grip can't be concealed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well on my way to 10k rounds downranfge on my XD45 service. It is my daily carry and I have only one regret. That is that I didn't go with the compact for a carry gun the full length grip can be a bit troublesome to conceal without printing for my body shape and size. I liked my xd45 so much that I converted 3 Blockheads from their respective glocks to XD45's. One tactical with thumb safety and 2 service models with thumbsafety's. Ith the words of Nike "Just Do It" you will NOT regret it.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I have the .45 Tactical and once I put a good trigger on it, it's actually the best-shooting gun I own.

I shoot my .40 Service in IDPA because it's thinner and lighter and cheaper to reload for, but the .45 Tact is a sweet ride.

After about 4K in the .40 and 3K in the .45, I'm still waiting for my first malfunction in either gun, and 90% of those are reloads.

Get one!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've owned my XD-.45 4" service w/thumb safety since mid Sept 2008, putting almost 1000 rounds downrange. I've used Speer Lawman, Fiochi, and WWB 230gr FMJs. 1 FTF, 1 stovepipe. Both were probably related to limp wristing. My sons are the ones that told me I should go XD, and after trying a few Glocks and XDs (including a 1911) I picked my service. I am a big guy (6'2" & 250) and am not so concerned about CC. It prints at times depending on what I'm wearing, but am looking at a IWB to help that issue. I favor Hoodies and Sweat Shirts in the Fall/Winter, and it's not bad, nor under my bomber jackets.

Like someone else said: "Just Do It"

·
Registered
375 Posts
Giddy as a schoolgirl. I love my service model. Only issue that I have had with is when I shot wolf ammo. Stay away from wolf and it'll feed anything you want it to.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dont waste any more time. Pick up a 45 today. I love my tactical. It's smooth on the trigger and a joy to hold. 3000+ teary-eyed rounds couldn't be wrong. Stock up on mags, also.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Have a Service, want/need a compact. Get a compact, not that there's anything bad about the Service.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Have a compact. One of the best purchases of my life.1k rounds downrange with no gun issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love the .45 Compact!!! My other guns are getting lonely from lack of use. I wouldn't say I am giddy but I might have gotten wood once or twice while firing it. Lol. If you buy any XD model from Oct 15 08- Jan 15 09, SA will give you two extra mags and a mag holder. Doesn't get much sweeter than that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i bought a xd 45 service model about 2 months ago. i love it wouldn't trade it for anything. fired about 500 rounds without a hiccup. just bought 500 rounds of wolf, haven't heard any pluses about this ammo but i'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
My xd45 service has performed perfectly. Have had it for over a year. That's two seasons for USPSA and oh yeah it's my (other) carry gun and one of my HD guns. Have put at least 2k rounds through it. Never a problem. Very accurate. Very rugged. Very good looking. Great feel in the hands. Traded a crappy PT1911 in on it and yes, very "giddy" to have this weapon.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Great gun I bought the XD45C and love it I carry it everywhere. My girlfriend hates that I carry, However I do everywhere and she can't tell. It does not print. I have over 6oo rounds with no problems. The only thing that sucks is the price of 45acp ammo. THE NEXT POST SHOULD BE THAT YOU BOUGHT IT FOLLOWED WITH A PICTURE!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to each and every one who responded. You know, you can look at them in the case, and admire the mess out of them, but it's the people who own them that can give you authentic information based on their experince. Decision made. It's XD45 time! Hopefully my friend will still have one in the case once I get back home. There's a lot of gun buying activity in my area these days. To all, thanks again.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I think everything about the XD45 is great except the terrible grips. As soon as your hand sweats its slippery and difficult to pull the slide back on. I spent a big $6 to get sand paper grip tape from midwayusa.com and now it feels like I can't get it out of my hand! Perfect! Never a single malfunction with all types of ammo and over 2,000 rounds through it!

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Awesome gun. When I brought home my .45 Service I couldn't stop smiling and looking at it! I wish I could afford to shoot it more. The grip is perfect and it shoots more accurately than I can, with nearly flawless reliability. Great gun.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My service .45 shoots better for me than my 9sc. You can carry a service .45 concealed, I do in the winter. It is going to be a bit more expensive to shoot though so be prepaired.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The XD45 Service was my first ever auto handgun. I loved it and carried it concealed for a year and then I got an XD45 Compact Tactical and it is my primary carry firearm and range gun. No regrets here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The XD45 Service was my first ever auto handgun. I loved it and carried it concealed for a year and then I got an XD45 Compact Tactical and it is my primary carry firearm and range gun. No regrets here.
Did you carry IWB? My service handle prints too much with OWB.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts