Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. so many (all?) of us have read about the problem associated with some XD's in 45 ACP. There are several threads with some kinds of reasons why & solutions offered and many, many more with complaining.

I took it upon myself to see if I could do something ro remedy my problems. The first 2-300 rounds, my XD fed & extracted everything with no complaints, hiccups, or problems. Then it wouldn't feed steel cased ammo reliably at all. It got worse & worse. From what I can gather, maybe my mag springs wore out really early. One of the rumors is that they came with "bad" mag springs. Fine. I sent mine back for new replacements. Not a problem. So far they have functioned fine. I haven't tested the new ones much with steel cased ammo yet, but they functioned fine for now with the limited steel ammo run through them.

I bought 4 mags from a member here. I have no complaints about him, the mags, or the transaction. The mags ran fine at first, but quickly degraded to misfeeding very frequently (3-4 times per mag). I didn't really feel like sending them back to SA for replacements, so I dug back into the old threads to see if there was anything I coudl on my own. I decided to not buy the extra power mag springs and try a slightly different solution. I saw that the 45 GAP mags had a "smile" in the front of the mag. Soooooo,...

The smile is .5" wide and .1" deep. I don't know what radius you would use to achieve this, but that is what I came up with from measuring pivctures of 45 GAP mags and comparing it to my mags.

I had the machinist here at my work do all 4 mags for me (for free). I am contemplating having the other 3 done, but if they exhibit feed problems, then I will try the extra power springs and see how that really works.

I took my XD, 150 rounds of steel cased amo form Herter's, and the 4 modified mags out on Sunday afternoon. I tried shooting with proper grip, about as limp of a wrist as I could keep hold of the pistol with strong hand, weak hand, and both hands to see if a loose, improper grip would help misfeed ammo. I tried slow & control rates of fire, and also as fast as I could pull the trigger.

All 4 mags performed falwlessly. They fed every bullet in them with no problems. I had two other malfs that I asked about in another thread. They had nothing to do with the mags.

I noticed something else about the mags. They seemed to load easier than before the notch was made. My bias...? Maybe.

The real bad fliers were from the ultra loose grip. ;) :D

I had asked several people if they would be willing (or able) to help void my warranty by welding a little bump on the underside of the slide, but I had no takers. Yes, I was/am desperate to make my pistol reliable. It's my only one that I have that I could CC. No bother. I went with the free option first, and it has seemed to have solved my feeding issue that XD45 has.

Discussion...? Questions...? I hope I can answer them, but there are others around here who I hope see this and chime in to help us out.

Remeber,... you can complain, but why not do us all one better and try to help us out. :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Fritz,

This fix got discussed somewhere else and it might have been with you. (The mind is aging!) There was another piece to this fix and that was making the feed ramp on the locking block deeper. I almost went for this but decided to get rid of the XD45 instead.

You may want to look at the relationship of the scoop in the modded mags to the feed ramp in the locking block and make it match. It is bit of a band aid solution but it might help also.

Continued updates on the fix would be helpful to those who follow and encounter the dreaded nose-dive jams.

CX

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, we exchanged some pm's. I forgot about the relationship with the feed ramp.

I would have to do some serious asking/begging (?) at work to see if the machinist at work would want to do this.

I will look at the fred ramp to see how well they line up. I know that it does not sit very smoothly precisely against the locking block.

So far however, it seems to be a "fix",....... for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts