Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
The X2 is notorious for poor battery life, and as far as I'm concerned, the X2 is only useful if you have the Sub-Compact, since a normal rail-mounted light won't fit on that model.

If you're looking for quality, the Streamlight TLR-1 or the Surefire X300 is what you want. I don't know about the Surefire, though I do own several of their flashlights and can tell you they are a quality product. The Streamlight is what I have on my .45 Tactical, and they run in the $100 neighborhood on eBay. The Surefire will easliy run you twice that ammount.

If you want a laser as well, the Streamlight TLR-2 runs in the $225 range, or you could add a set of Crimson Trace grips.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes, the x2 does have shorter battery life than others. I bought mine because it isn't huge like all the other laser/light combo's and not as expensive. If you only use it when you need it like at night when there is an intruder it's not bad at all. If I used it more I would buy a surfire, but for now my dogs can chase the x2.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I just checked eBay. The price differential right now between the X2 and the TLR-1 is roughly $5. If your intended use is for when things go bump in the night, the question is, do you want the X2 with 40 lumens and a 30 minute run time, or do you want the TLR-1 with 135 lumens and 2.5 hour run time? Part of the purpose of a weapons light is to visually stun the subject. With this in mind, the TLR-1 is more effective as a weapons light than the X2. Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Go Surefire. If you want I'll go take a picture of mine with it on. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I just checked eBay. The price differential right now between the X2 and the TLR-1 is roughly $5. If your intended use is for when things go bump in the night, the question is, do you want the X2 with 40 lumens and a 30 minute run time, or do you want the TLR-1 with 135 lumens and 2.5 hour run time? Part of the purpose of a weapons light is to visually stun the subject. With this in mind, the TLR-1 is more effective as a weapons light than the X2. Just my $.02
Lutheranpriest just wanted to mention that the TLR-1 LED has 80 lumens with up to 2.5 hrs. My son has that model and I have the X2 which is acceptable for my home. It came as a package deal when I bought my son a used XD9 and I use it on my XD45C. I spoke w/the original owner of the 9 who said he only shot about 100 rds. The gun was virtually new.
However I would tell anyone w/o a compact to spend the extra money for the TLR.
I spoke to a retired special squad/SWAT type guy who mentioned that he didn't really care for lights on pistols as he was taught that it was a give away. What he did say was they were taught to throw a flashlight into an area that they suspected a BG was hiding. However I've seen training videos and it doesn't seem to be an issue. I like them myself.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

I know it has more than just the XD.45 but I'll get a different pic tomorrow after work.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Streamlight just upgraded the LED on the TLR-1 to 135 lumens. Yeah, I'm stuck with an older 80 lumen model, but it would be nice if Streamlight would offer a kit to upgrade the LED bulb.
Well how about that. Sorry, I guess I shouldn't question the "priest". :lol:
Maybe it's time for me to upgrade from my X2.
A conversion kit might be available down the road but we do have a tendency to want to get the latest. 80 lumens in the house is not bad.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I don't have any pics handy, but my vote for a light setup on the XD-45 (and what I have used) is:

if you are on a budget, get the Streamlight TLR-1

if money is no object, get a Surefire x200/x300 series lights.

Both are excellent lights, with the advantage on durability and battery life going to the Surefire in my experience.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
im droolin over that socomII
Haha, funny thing is I drool over everybody's AR's on here. But they drool over my M1A. Pretty funny, guess I just got the dream weapon first!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts