Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new XD45 Tactical Thumb Safety.

When I pull the trigger with the grip safety not depressed, the sear moves, but does not release.....is this OK?

The gun passes all safety checks.

I'm thinking like a 1911 owner. On a 1911, the sear cannot move at all with the thumb safety engaged.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
The XD is not like a 1911 in that respect. The safety is not fit that tightly so you will get some movement which concerned me too. One of mine was really bad in that it moved all the way to the tip of the striker and couldn't have left more than 2 thousandths before it released. In fact, if I hit the gun hard it would release so keep doing the safety check.

This is one of those reasons you have to know what you are doing when you work on an XD. I had a smith do a trigger job once and he didn't leave enough clearance for the safety bar. A slightly bulged mag inserted with authority and it released the slide, bumped the striker and bang.

Make sure you know your gun in and out so you can monitor those things when you detail strip it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have never heard of an XD slam-firing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would this affect slam fires? The XD sear is held up by spring force when disconnected. That is the only slam fire prevention.

The grip safety locks the sear to the striker....sort of....as positive drop safety or trigger pulled without hand on grip(grip safety depressed). This replicates 1911 or AR15 thumb safety function, but automatically.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Why would this affect slam fires? The XD sear is held up by spring force when disconnected. That is the only slam fire prevention.

The grip safety locks the sear to the striker....sort of....as positive drop safety or trigger pulled without hand on grip(grip safety depressed). This replicates 1911 or AR15 thumb safety function, but automatically.
I was NOT saying that the XD has a tendency to slam fire however, it can happen if someone doesn't know what they are doing as it happened to me. As stated above, I had a trigger job done and the smith didn't have enough clearance between the safety bar and the mag.With the mag inserted there was only a couple thousandths and the sear is only holding the striker by a couple of thousandths. One of my mags was bulged at the top, as is common with the XD45 and the mag bumped the safety bar which, in turn, drops the sear, and released the striker, resulting in a discharge.

In that instance, I was racking the slide so the grip safety was depressed which negates that safety. But,. as I mentioned to the OP, the GS does not completely stop the sear. Mine, even after it was fixed by SA, still allows the sear to move a little and, if the original condition still existed, would have released the striker even if the GS was not pressed. I had a second XD45 that was done by the factory and, if you pull the trigger without the GS pressed, there is enough movement to almost release the striker. It hangs just on the very edge of the sear which can be seen from the gap in the back.

Not knocking the XD platform in any way just saying there is some sear movement and folks need to know what they are doing before trying to do a trigger job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts