Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, kind of new to guns here, so im lookin for some insight.
Fell in love with the XD45 service,every thing ive heard this is "this is the one to get".
I would like to hear all the good and bad about it,( if any bad).
thanks, Crash_X:cool:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I love all guns but XDs, like glocks, stand out and a great handgun.

They always work when you need them, dirty or clean.
They Live as long as you will (with care).
They are not that much $$$
They come in all different rounds and sizes, all made with the same perfection.
Large mag sizes.

The list goes on and on.
They shoot like a glock, and that is a different style then a lot of guns out there. But once you get used to it you never look back. These guns don't break the bank and of all the weapons I own I wouldn't think twice about trusting my life to the operation of my first XD; and it has over 10,000 rounds down its tube with no parts replaced. The service model is a good place to start if your getting your first pistol. Not to long, not to short.. just perfect. The XD is a perfect platform for new shooters, to SWAT team members.

Trust in the XD

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Bads? Can't think of any.

Goods? I think it's the ultimate SHTF weapon. All you need do is look at the 20,000-round torture test and ask yourself if you could count on that handgun if you really needed to do so.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Good-
Reliable,durable, dependable, excellent customer service, holds lots of rounds, accurate and relatively inexpensive. It's also comfortable to shoot.

Bad -

45acp is an expensive round to shoot a lot. 50% or more over the cost of a 9mm. But if you reload, it's 1/2 the cost of store bought 9mm. Good excuse to get into reloading...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pro: Great gun that fits perfectly in my hand. Will shoot anything put in it. OD Green with SS Slide is BEAUTIFUL! 45 ACP, easy to field strip.

Cons: Illinois does not have concealed carry. :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
just bought mine, xd 45 c.
no complaints so far, love the way it shoots.
haven't really had it long enough to find any cons...
except the cost of 45 ammo, which is why i'm going to start reloading since my dad has all the gear already.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
You guys can correct me if I am wrong but,,,, there have been a large number of post about some issues with the xd45's. Cant remember exactly what the issue was but something was wrong with the design of the gun which was making mags crack. If you do a search you should find it. I believe there was a topic just to this issue. I know it was pretty long. Apparently springfield designed the inside components of the xdm 45 differently to prevent this issue. I know a large number of people on this site was having this issue but many were not. I have not bought a xd45 because of it even though I have many xd's in other calibers. Worth looking at. Don't kill the messenger but I know it was posted a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Here is one of the post after some research. I know some people got new mags but still had the issue. I don't believe peoplel have had the same issue with the xdm. Anyway, not trying to bash the xd45. Many people have not had this issue but it is well documented in the 45 section if you do the search.

Originally Posted by Charlie Xray
There is a very old thread on this. I found it when I first joined and was reading to catch up. The problem relates to the fact that the rim of the .45 drops a bit below the breechface during extraction and snags the shoulder of the next round (SWC) in the mag. (Evidently not with the .40 or 9mm.) This violently drives the front end of that round down into the mag. I read of one case of it actually turning the round backwards in the mag.

Basically, there is no fix short of rounding the back of the rim of your cases and removing most of the shoulder of your SWC bullets, which one poster was experimenting with.

It will sometimes also do this with RN or HP. It drives the nose downward and the mag spring cannot get it repositioned properly before the slide returns to battery. Then you get a FTF with the round nose-dived into the front lip of the magazine, not even making it to the feed ramp. I had this happen on my second mag, which caused me to do some research. It was stated in the thread that after-market stronger mag springs will address this issue, but not the SWC feeding.

CX

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Mine is the compact, also. Never had one, single problem with this gun! It's my every day carry gun!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have the .45 compact tactical.

If you ever plan to CCW, you may want to look @ the compact version of the service/4"

Only con to the .45 is how hungry it gets, it just eats and eats and eats

I agree, I have the XD45 compact and love it. It comes with one ten round flush mag for CCW
and 1 13 round extended mag with grip sleeve.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love my 45 Service. Comes with 1 13 round mag for CCW and 1 more 13 round mag for CCW and for 30 dollars 1 more 13 round mag just to even out those 20 round boxes of HPs. (13x3 +1).

Front Sight says 45 is only caliber recommended for personal/home protection. Front Sight also says safe action pistol such as Glock or XD is best weapon for this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will lead into this softly and go out with a bang..I own a XD tactical .45 and although I consider it an accurate sidearm I would not call it the best .45 I have owned or do own..I can't stand Glocks that I am sure of..But there are a few things on the XD's I do not like.First of all my XD is long in the grip.It is barrel heavy , yes its a 5 inch but I have not had this same issue with other 5 inch sidearms..I do not like how the loaded chamber indicator snags on my Milt sparks holster..I think considering where these are made and the original price of the HS2000 coming out of Croatia I think these pistols are becoming over priced for what they are..
Of the polymer frame sidearms made it rates about 3rd on my list with H&K and FNH Five Seven still on top..The Glock down at the bottom or better yet the microwave where they belong..May seem a bit harsh with my opinion but I own several firearms and have plenty of time behind the sights to give a reasonable opinion..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts