Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if an xd45(fullsized tac model or any model really) can be converted to 40 super? Because this is my first post I want to say I have experience with guns and gunsmithing, as I worked in a shop as an apprentice before. I understamd aboit more powerful recoil springs and timing and all that, but really I am just looking for info if anyone has done this or knows a good company to get a barrel from in 40 super for an xd. I am only interested in 40 super, if I cant do a 40 super I will just stick with 45acp stock barrel. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Welcome from tn, I don't see why you couldn't, Barsto barrels might neck down a barrel when they make it for you.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Can anyone tell me if an xd45(fullsized tac model or any model really) can be converted to 40 super? Because this is my first post I want to say I have experience with guns and gunsmithing, as I worked in a shop as an apprentice before. I understamd aboit more powerful recoil springs and timing and all that, but really I am just looking for info if anyone has done this or knows a good company to get a barrel from in 40 super for an xd. I am only interested in 40 super, if I cant do a 40 super I will just stick with 45acp stock barrel. Thanks.
Don't think there is any place for a 40 super barrel but the 400 corbon is close to the 10mm in velocity.

This is the one i have.
Springfield XDSUB/XDS/XDT/XDM Pistol Barrels

don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't think there is any place for a 40 super barrel but the 400 corbon is close to the 10mm in velocity.

don
From what numbers I have seen the 400 corbon is weak sauce compared to the 40super. Do you load your own? If so what weight bullets do you use and what velocitys do you achieve?
I would like to add I am not only interested in velocity and corbons line of ammo does not impress me. Well, at least In 400 corbon. They have some other calibers that are nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen conversion kits to 40 super in glock, hk, and sig. I would rather have limited ammo capacity and go with a 1911 than any of those choices.
Well, if no one else comes along to add information here on 40 super conversion, thanks for everyones assist.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Anyways, hope you do it, I'd love to see . Always like newer/different stuff. Bet it's snappy. The xd platform doesn't see as much as some, but it's getting there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, in light of no one comming foward saying they have done it, and also reading a post of someone saying they called springfield armory and they did not recommend converting to 45 super, saying it was to much for a polymer frame, I think 400 corbon may be as strong of an upgrade as an xd should be pushed. Also I looked on jarvis, efk, bar sto, and ahh cant think of the companies name atm but I did look on at least two other companies websites and not one listed a 40 super conversion barrel. (In all fairness its probably not a top seller) Looks like I will have to either shoot an email to SA or some custom pistol gunsmiths. The 40 super is a beast when looking at chamber pressure, from what I found around 37000psi and thats not near top power just what ammo companies load to. I THINK top pressure is around 50000. Thats way way more than 45acp and from what I can find SA even says not to give an xd a steady diet of 45acp+p. And 45 super is (genericly) a 45acp+p++ and 40 super is a 45 super brass necked down to a 40/10mm bullet. I posted this for someone to use the info I have researched to possibly save them some time as well as keep small pieces of an xd45 out of thier face. I will not be converting an xd to 40 super unless SA gives me the nod. And if they do I will come back and post about it. As of right now, I will not attempt to convert an xd to 40 super. Looks like a solid 1911 is the only safe way which will have limited ammo supply. *sigh* I guess you cant have everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts