Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pros cons? For conceal. Anyone have side by side pic?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Both will conceal but the SC obviously better. Do you have a preference in caliber? You're talking .45 versus 9mm/.40 and there is a difference in recoil. Might be worth finding a range and renting them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The XD SC is an excellent gun and great for a carry piece. If u decide on a SC I would recommend getting the magazine extnders from Pierce especially on the 10 round mag. The 16 round mag already has an extender on it and makes for a great grip especially if you have to draw your weapon. As someone already mentioned you should compare the calibers at a range prior to making any decision. There is a big
difference betweent he 9m and a 45.. The SC is definitely a carry.. Good luck!

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is a big
difference betweent he 9m and a 45.. The SC is definitely a carry..
I really am picky about my carry guns size wise, 99% of the time I always go for smaller but with the XD I choose the 45c over my 9sc EVERY time.
With a pierce grip extender the sc is just as big as the 45c in that area, other than a little more heft with the 45 to me its just as easy to carry as my 9sc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't have a .45 compact (yet), but I have 2 9mm, one SC and one service.

From what I understand the butt on the service is just a hair longer than that of the .45c. Wearing them around the house in my CTAC holster (I don't have my permit yet), I can tell a difference between them, mostly due to the longer barrel, but as far as concealability and printing, there's not much difference at all.

Obviously it will depend on the type of holster you use, your body type, size of your clothes...

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I have both a XD40SC and the XD45C I carry the 40 most, but really I have no problem concealing either one. I trust either one to save my life if needed. I guess I just like the Hard Chrome finish on the slide and the polished barrel and guide rod look of my SC. I expect to send the slide from my 45C out to be refinished in Hard Chrome at some point. The Hard Chrome looks great and it is extremely durable as well.If you can only have one go with the XD45C

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both will conceal but the SC obviously better. Do you have a preference in caliber? You're talking .45 versus 9mm/.40 and there is a difference in recoil. Might be worth finding a range and renting them.
How much recoil difference is there between the sc 40 and 45 compact?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
How much recoil difference is there between the sc 40 and 45 compact?
I don't think there is any question that the XD45 Compact is the better choice as a carry gun.

The XD40SC has a very snappy recoil, 9 round capacity with the short mag and 12 round capacity with the full size mag. Hollow point performance is questionable due to the reduced velocity of the 3" barrel. There is a risk of over penetration when using FMJ as defense rounds.

The XD45ACP Compact recoil is more of a push, has 10 round capacity with the short mag and 13 round with the full size slide. Has excellent knock down power using FMJ with no risk of over penetration. Even better performance using hollow point defense rounds. With a 4" barrel it conceals as easily as a Sub Compact while maintaining the accuracy associated with a longer sight plain.

Remember the 40S&W was developed in an attempt to get the performance of the 45ACP in a frame the size of a 9mm. In the XD45 Compact you have higher capacity and a more comfortable gun than the XD40SC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have both the 45c and 40sc... I prefer the compact even though it is larger. They are both easy to conceal but the hoster I have for the compact comp-tac gurkha feels better than the comp-tac shirt tucker I have for the sub.

·
Registered
208 Posts
+1 for the 45c. A sc with the mag extention is about the same length as the compact's grip. This is the hardest part of a gun to conceal. A 40 in a small frame is a pretty snappy shooter to get follow ups with . . . I prefer and hit better with a 45.

Given this, I'm still temped to get a 9sc for practice and some carry but I think I'll always fall back to the 45c for carry. I wish they made the 9 in a compact size.

Now Tard's tactical . . . that's some kinda sweet shooter!

Slugger

·
Registered
787 Posts
+1 for the 45c. A sc with the mag extention is about the same length as the compact's grip. This is the hardest part of a gun to conceal. A 40 in a small frame is a pretty snappy shooter to get follow ups with . . . I prefer and hit better with a 45.

Given this, I'm still temped to get a 9sc for practice and some carry but I think I'll always fall back to the 45c for carry. I wish they made the 9 in a compact size.

Now Tard's tactical . . . that's some kinda sweet shooter!

Slugger
The 9sc is really nice. I shot XDConvert9mm's and I want one now. I do prefer it with the pinky extension, though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm a bigger framed fella, weighing in at 250lbs. I picked up the Compact .45 and have it in a Supertuck and its awesome. I dont use the extended mag as it will stick out too far. With the standard 10rd magazine its fine. And actually comfortable considering you have all the potentiall wallop in your waistband.

Oh, but I can only carry around the house, lol. I'm taking the CWP course tomorrow.

If I ever get another pistol, it'll probably be the SC 9mm though. It'd still be nice to have one.

The only benefit I'd see to using that SC 9mm instead of the Compact .45 is that the barrel wouldnt have as much potential to dig into you while sitting. B/c with the extension on the 9mm magazine its nearly as tall.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
You also get MORE rounds with the 45C!!!!! 40SC 9+1 rounds with the compact mag, 12+1 rounds with the extended mag. 45C 10+1 rounds with the compact mag, 13+1 rounds with the extended mag!!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I HAVE A 40SC AND A 45C. THEY BOTH CONCEAL WELL. HOWEVER, THE 40 DOES HAVE A SHORTER BARREL AND THE HAND GRIP IS SMALLER MAKING IT MORE CONCEALABLE. I LOVE THEM BOTH:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I noticed that 4 or 5 posters commented comparing the XD45 to a 9mm.......

the original post is about comparing a 40 caliber subcompact to the 45 compact.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
a 9sc and 40sc are the same size frame. exactly the same size, so either caliber could be compared for size.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
a 9sc and 40sc are the same size frame. exactly the same size, so either caliber could be compared for size.
As stated early when comparing to the 40sc the 45 Compact has greater capacity which changes everything. Superior stopping power, less chance of over penetration and greater capacity it's a no brainer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts