Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first post, and let me start by saying that this is a great forum, full of information! I currently own a XD9mmc. I think it is a great gun, but I am currently in the market for a new XD40. I can't decide whether or not to get the compact or the subcompact. Both feel just as comfortable as the other, and I really don't plan on range shooting more than say 25 yards. I have never seen the XD40 in the service model 4" version, but would like to know more about it. If anyone could tell me the differences between the compact and s4", I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey guys,

This is my first post, and let me start by saying that this is a great forum, full of information! I currently own a XD9mmc. I think it is a great gun, but I am currently in the market for a new XD40. I can't decide whether or not to get the compact or the subcompact. Both feel just as comfortable as the other, and I really don't plan on range shooting more than say 25 yards. I have never seen the XD40 in the service model 4" version, but would like to know more about it. If anyone could tell me the differences between the compact and s4", I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Matt
It was my impression that compact = service. The 4' .45 is called compact, while the 4' .40 is called service.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was my impression that compact = service. The 4' .45 is called compact, while the 4' .40 is called service.

The standard 4" model with the full grip is called the service. The compact model is also a 4" barrell but it has the chopped off grip, same as the 3"sc models.

So, 'compact' refers to the size of the grip in this case. The sub-compact model has the chopped grip as well as a 3" barrell.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Where is college park? or better yet, send a "hello" post in the New Members section....

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Just to be clear, the 40 does not come in a compact version. It has a Subcompact (short grip, 3 inch bbl) and a Service (full size grip, 4 inch bbl) and a Tactical (full grip 5 inch bbl).

There is confusion because the 45 has a few extra versions that the 40 does not.

Anyway, many think the .40 cal round is too snappy for a subcompact. I think it is fine.
Of my 4 XDs, my 11yo son like the Tactical 40 the best. I know, probably doesnt mean much to you.

I have a 9SC, and a 40 Tac. The Tac is very good in my opinion, as is the 9, but they serve different purposes.

Clear as mud?;-)

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
If you plan on carrying at all, the Subcompact is the choice. The short grip conceals much easier than the full grip Service model.

Either will go bang at the range (the higher capacity Service model will come in handy here). Comes down to what you like, and maybe price.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The standard 4" model with the full grip is called the service. The compact model is also a 4" barrell but it has the chopped off grip, same as the 3"sc models.

So, 'compact' refers to the size of the grip in this case. The sub-compact model has the chopped grip as well as a 3" barrell.
It seems like every week someone is confused about the XD models. First there is no such thing as an XD40 Compact. There is a 9mm/40S&W Service model XD which has a Full size grip with 4" slide. There is a 9mm/40S&W Tactical which has a Full size grip with a 5" slide. There is the 9mm/40S&W Sub Compact model which has a shortened grip with a 3" slide. The Sub Compact is a totally different family of guns and the parts are not interchangeable with the Service or Tactical. Here is where the confusion starts there is the 45ACP model XD which come in a Compact which has a shortened grip and can have either a 4" slide or a 5" slide. There is also a XD45 Service model which can have either a 4" or 5" slide. All of the models in the XD45ACP have interchangeable parts except the return spring and guide rod. The Compact model with a shortened grip and 4" slide is only available in the XD45ACP model.

This confusion has been cause by gun dealer not bothering to familiarize themselves with the product they are selling. If you want a XD with a shortened grip and a 4" slide you must buy an XD45ACP. If you want a XD with a short grip and a 3" slide you will not find it in 45ACP.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yea, I love my 40sc but it does have tremendous muzzle flip. The chopped grip is a must for CCW. I run it with a forward cant. Any longer and it would print really bad cant or no cant. I can shoot equally well with the chopped grip or with the extended mags.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
boardsurfer & rgeliske summed up the types available very well, here's something else to consider.

I think it really depends on what you plan to use it for. If it's a range and HD gun, get the tactical. If you want to carry it sometimes, but mostly range and HD, I would recommend the 4". As others have stated though, this will be harder to conceal. If you are looking to conceal every day, the SC is the way to go. I carried my SC all summer and love it. I'm thinking about carrying my Service though in the winter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would definetly recommend for you to look into the XD 40 V10, its so far the best handgun I own, my GF who is only 105 pounds love shooting it, in fact the recoil on it is lower than my Taurus 380 because of the ported barrel. It is a little more expensive than the regular Service Model but it is definetly worth the money. Either way you cant go wrong with an XD, but if you can afford the ported version dont hesitate to jump on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the information. I do see on SA's site now that they do not offer the xd40 in compact. Just to answer a few questions, I will not be using this as a carry weapon, because it is illegal in Maryland. I will be using this gun strictly for range shooting, and if need be, protection within my home. Thanks to everyone who responded. Great site.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a .40 Service and it is a great gun and I plan on using it for Concealed Carry when I get it in the mail. I've worn it around the house and it conceals very well...Happy Hunting...get the .40 Service if you already have a subcompact...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a .40 Service and it is a great gun and I plan on using it for Concealed Carry when I get it in the mail. I've worn it around the house and it conceals very well...Happy Hunting...get the .40 Service if you already have a subcompact...
+1

I Conceal Carry an XD 40 Service all day, every day down here in the Lone Start State, with shorts, and a Tee Shirt, and my trusty Crossbreed Super Tuck.

No problems what so ever (especially since I ditched theWally Word belt for a real gun belt).

·
Registered
913 Posts
+1

I Conceal Carry an XD 40 Service all day, every day down here in the Lone Start State, with shorts, and a Tee Shirt, and my trusty Crossbreed Super Tuck.

No problems what so ever (especially since I ditched theWally Word belt for a real gun belt).
We have the same setup Marty..now if only I could light a fire under DPS and get them to send me my CHL back...

·
Registered
22 Posts
XD-40 Service (4")... Conceal Carry all day long. IWB BladeTech holster... Springer combat/carry trigger job.

I love it. Never a problem. I shoot it all the time, at the range and have successfully shot IDPA matches. 1000's of rounds. Great gun.

Good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
+1

BSMarty, what kind of belt are you now using?

LS

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i conceal carry my xd.40 sub compact almost every day and i love it i carry it in a tagua holster at about 5 o'clock and sometimes forget its even there
i carry it with the lower capacity magazine and it almost never prints in shorts and a t shirt
on the days i dont carry the xd i carry wither my wifes kel tec 3at or i carry my beretta model 1934 in my front pocket

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have carried my XD40 service for months with no problems.... I just sold it this week and bought an XD.45 4" and conceal that fine as well. XD's are awesome.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Thanks for all the information. I do see on SA's site now that they do not offer the xd40 in compact. Just to answer a few questions, I will not be using this as a carry weapon, because it is illegal in Maryland. I will be using this gun strictly for range shooting, and if need be, protection within my home. Thanks to everyone who responded. Great site.
well if your not planning on carrying, and want a range gun mainly, i would go with longer barrel. if you plan on moving and carrying i would go with subby.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts