Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an XD-40.

I went out to the range and noticed that when I aimed the bullet impact was WAAAAAAAAAY OFF!!! What is going on? I had someone else fire the weapon and they noticed the same thing. The bullet is impacting way below where the sight suggests it would.

Where and how do I go about...do i obtain sights for this gun?

I hope this makes sense.

basically when I point at an object to shoot...I aim as anyone would. I pull the trigger...and the bullet hits INCHES below the sight line.

thanks.

what to do? who to talk to? i'm lost. thanks

has anyone else had this problem?

I sighted the weapon in for a laser mount...basically shoot, adjust laser until POI matches. after doing this i then aimed as i would and noticed that the laser showed the POI well below the sight line of the gun sights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
according to the owners manual the sights are set up for ether a 6 oclock or 12 oclock sight picture. read that section and see if it shines some light on the problem. not saying it will but thats all that comes to mind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah..been there done that. it says it could be either...apparently they aren't too sure how the weapon is set up? that throws me off a bit. i'll play around with it a little this week and see what i get. if all else fails i'll just call SA.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
It would help if you let us know what rear sigt is installed on your pistol and if it is a subcompact, service or tactical. Look at the rear sight and it should be marked with a letter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's interesting....My XD 40 is I think 3 years old or so....My owners manual, I'm certain says the XD was set up for the standard 6'O clock target hold. Have things changed?. I know Sig tells shooters that the front white dot should correspond to the center of the target on their pistols (which is the "combat" configuration).

Also, back when I bought my XD they made a test target which was sent with the gun...now they don't anymore (and neither does Sig anymore, except for selected models).

Unfortunately, I think there is some issues with QA with regulating the sights at the factory. About a year ago, a shooter at the range I go to bought a new XD9 and it shot left. He had me shoot it as well at bench rest and it shot several inches to the left. Even Sig has issues with this these days. I say, "Bring back the test targets!"

Fortunately my 3 XDs all shot well....Luck of the draw these days!

chevyman said:
according to the owners manual the sights are set up for ether a 6 oclock or 12 oclock sight picture. read that section and see if it shines some light on the problem. not saying it will but thats all that comes to mind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine says it is set for 6'oclock...but that it might be set at "point of aim"

i have found that it is neither. and that it shoots lower than where you aim.

i'm thinking of replacing the sights with some night sights...what do y'all suggest?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have found that mine hits exactly where I aim.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I didn't like the stock sights on my XD. I thought they were off. After that I decided adjustable was the way to go. I recall someone else had a similar problem as you and I believe he contacted Springfield and found out one of his sights wasn't the correct sight and they replaced it for him.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think mine is a "G" lettered rear sight, and it hits, or should I say when I do what I'm supposed to do, it hits dead on at 6 o'clock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check the rear sight for looseness. The rear sight on my XD service would move and shift when I laid the weapon down. You could move it with your fingers if you pushed hard enough. Once lined back up it shoots accurate. I will probably replace the sights with night sights, and hope that corrects the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts