Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to go over to Tennessee to do some boar hunting later on this year and was curious if using my XD40 Tactical will be a suitable sidearm against boar. I'm also looking to get a Barsto .357 Sig barrel.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
I was talking to a co-worker of mine who frequently goes hog hunting. He told me that he carries a small, 5-shot .357 revolver as a back up. He also said that most of the other hog hunters that he knows also carry .357 wheelguns.

His logic (as he explained) is that the .357 magnum load has excellent penetration. This logic seems sound to me. The last thing you want, when a wild boar is charging, is inadequate ammo.

How does the .40 cal round stack up against the .357 regarding penetration?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
I think comparing a 357 Magnum with a short barrel to a 40S&W out of an XD-40T they would be pretty close. The 357 Mag still probably wins in muzzle energy and penitration but I think being able to hit what your shooting at will be more important than the small advantage the 357 would give over the 40S&W. I would load up with some good quality 180 grain FMJ and have fun huntin'

mcb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (see Bear hunting thread), I'd recommend minimum .44 mag, and better would be .454. Boars can take a lot of punishment before they realize they're dead. In the instance where you need a backup, you're likely to be hunting in brush where a boar can come on you at very short range - the fewer shots you have to take, the better.

T

Edit: Found a good reference on the last page of this (http://www.magtechammunition.com/buttons/2003CA~1.PDF) for MagTech ammo; other vendors probably have similar charts comparing their rounds. I'd ignore anything over 50 yards, since you're considering a backup weapon. T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,246 Posts
I have used a Colt SAA in 44Spl for a hog hunting back-up. Worked for me. i havealso carried my 1911/45acps on the hip for wild pigs, had to put one down with the 45 and it did the job.

I'd say a 40 caliber XD would be fine as a back-up. Its more powerful than what I carried and I felt fine with the 44Spl. As long as its for back-up, it ought to do the job.

-Brickboy240
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
Hmm, I think all of you wanting to take this gun as a hunting back up for larger game are quite suicidal. The wild boars weigh in at several hundred pounds and have a nasty tendency to not want to die. There was a reason the old boar hunting spears had a crossbar on them, it was to prevent a boar from running up the spear after it had impaled itself. I would not go with anything less then a magnum caliber revolver loaded with heavy slugs and a hot load. But those are just my views on it. I have never hunted (just not into killing anything but cardboard if I can help it) but know a bit about the tennacity of this creature due to my background as a biologist. As it is a back up I would want to make sure that when used in a last ditch defense it would stop the attacking boar, COLD. Anyway, that is my view on it. Good luck and good hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
Couple random thoughts:

We always used a 22lr to kill all the pig on the farm for butchering, even pigs going close to 1000 lbs.

Your better off hitting with a 40S&W then misssing with a 500S&W. Don't shoot more gun than you can handle.

mcb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
mcb said:
Couple random thoughts:

We always used a 22lr to kill all the pig on the farm for butchering, even pigs going close to 1000 lbs.

Your better off hitting with a 40S&W then misssing with a 500S&W. Don't shoot more gun than you can handle.

mcb
Hmm, but didn't you just walk up to a docile, domesticated pig and shoot it at point blank range in the head? Not the same as a charging wild boar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
manygunner said:
mcb said:
Couple random thoughts:

We always used a 22lr to kill all the pig on the farm for butchering, even pigs going close to 1000 lbs.

Your better off hitting with a 40S&W then misssing with a 500S&W. Don't shoot more gun than you can handle.

mcb
Hmm, but didn't you just walk up to a docile, domesticated pig and shoot it at point blank range in the head? Not the same as a charging wild boar.
Hmmm... That wasn't really the point but I guess I should have saw it coming. The point was that 120ft-lbs placed properly will do the job and 2500ft-lbs isn't going to so you a bit of good if you can't hit with it.

Shoot as much gun as you can shoot accurately in a bad situation. If you draw your 500S&W in a pinch and miss due to a reflexive flinch you would have been just as well of with a 22lr.

mcb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
mcb said:
manygunner said:
mcb said:
Couple random thoughts:

We always used a 22lr to kill all the pig on the farm for butchering, even pigs going close to 1000 lbs.

Your better off hitting with a 40S&W then misssing with a 500S&W. Don't shoot more gun than you can handle.

mcb
Hmm, but didn't you just walk up to a docile, domesticated pig and shoot it at point blank range in the head? Not the same as a charging wild boar.
Hmmm... That wasn't really the point but I guess I should have saw it coming. The point was that 120ft-lbs placed properly will do the job and 2500ft-lbs isn't going to so you a bit of good if you can't hit with it.

Shoot as much gun as you can shoot accurately in a bad situation. If you draw your 500S&W in a pinch and miss due to a reflexive flinch you would have been just as well of with a 22lr.

mcb
Point well taken. Touche.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
We use to kill pigs with 22 also, but they weren't pissed off and charging either. Bullet placement is key, but if you are being charged you aren't going to have time to really aim, its going to be pretty much point and shoot. That being said I'd go for the biggest thing available. I've heard a lot of horror stories about wild hogs seriously injuring hunters. I also know that my uncle killed a one of those big black russian boars with a 22 last summer, but he was in the house and it was't. I think he said he shot it 7 or 8 times before it finally fell and he said it will still breathing until he walked up to it and put one behind the ear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,246 Posts
Manygunner, theres some truth to what you're guessing about, as far as killing pigs.

Yes, they can be tough creatures. Thats why we hunt them with 45-70s, 8mm Mausers and 30-06s first. Smaller rifles do very little to something big like a Russian boar. I have shot the smaller pigs, like javelinas, with the SKS and 44 mag lever guns but would never dream of going after the big ones with such light rifles.

I sat there and watched my brother nail a big Russian boar with a 30-30 about 4 times and the thing just sauntered away. This was from about 60-70 yards and they were solid body hits...amazing.

They don't usually walk away from Dad's 45-70 or my 8mm Mauser, with the 220 grainers. Ditto for the 03 Spingfield, stoked with the 30-06 220 grain round nosed softies.

The hangduns are really a last ditch or "finishing" weapon for us, at least.

-Brickboy240
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,955 Posts
I would advise a magnum caliber but in all honesty, the Tactical in .357 sig will be VERY close to .357 magnum velocity. I would opt for the .357 Sig over the .40 but thats IMO. Find some HOT loaded .357 FMJ's and I think you would be ok since its for backup only. I own guns in .40 and .357sig and I prefer the .357 for accuracy, reliability and stopping power.

Good luck, post pics
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Slaytex.......in a word,No.Without going into the long version.....not enough horse power,bullet weight or penetration.Yes .22's HAVE done the trick,but you asked if the XD40 Tac.would be sufficient.Are you willing to risk your life & limb?As tthebald posted,refer to the "Bear back-up"thread.The principles are basically the same.It is better to have too much than not enough.( this takes in account you can handle the gun and hit your beast) Hope you err on the safe side and good hunting.......Herman.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top