Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I bought a XD40 Service pistol. The pistol did fine when I was wearing my shooting glasses (right lens is focused on the front sight). But when I was wearing my street bifocals, I had difficulty acquiring a fast and decent sight picture.

My carry guns are primarily Glocks and SIGs. The broad outline rear sight of the Glocks, and the bar-dot sight picture on the SIGs is a lot easier for my tired old diabetic eyes to see than the 3-dot sights of the XD. My XD was even worse, cause it had factory night sights, which just don't have much white showing in the daylight.

But I liked the XD. The features are good, and it fits my hand better than any pistol I've owned (over 50 of them), even 1911s.

So I ordered and just installed a set of MMC adjustable sights on the XD-40. I chose the model that is based on a Glock sight picture -- broad outline rear and dot front. They're great. I can see them well enough for close in work (15 yds or less) through the distance portion of my bifocals -- for further stuff, I tilt my head up to see the sights through the bifocal part or wear my shooting glasses. They're certainly not cheap, being custom made -- about $130. The rear sight adjusts for windage by loosening two Allen set screws and moving the right sight in the dovetail. It adjusts for elevation my inserting a little larger Allen wrench in the side of the sight and caming the moving part of the sight up or down. The rear sight is guarded and won't snag on clothing during the draw. It also won't tear up my hand during clearance drills.

So, now, this XD40 will probably be my primary carry gun. If I can only wear a light jacket or cover shirt, then I'll wear my G23, which is a little easier to conceal. If I am really pressed for small pistol concealment, I'll carry my Kahr P9.

So, if any of you XD owners are geezers like me and have limitations in vision, you might check out the MMC web sight.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Good news Bob. I second Ajames's suggestion,
a pix would be nice.

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, guys. As soon as I get the batteries charged up on my camera, I'll take a picture or two. Then I'll post them as soon as I figure out how to do that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Justin. I'll try messing with it a little, and if I can't figure it out, I'll e-mail it to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts