Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like your input regarding my sight alignment. To hit the middle of the target, it is always necessary for me to either aim high with a normal sight alignment, or change my sight alignment so that the front sight is above the back sight. I've been setting the front sight above the rear sight because I don't like my target to be hidden behind my front sight. The alignment looks something like this:

The vertical separation between the front and back sights is a bit exagerated in the image. When aiming, the front red dot rests on top of the back green dots. The front sight is placed just below target center (a little higher and slightly to the right of what you see in the image above).

It seems to me that I'm holding the gun still during the final phase of trigger pull. In fact, this alignment works even when the pistol is firmly in a gun rest, so it doesn't seem to be related to anticipating recoil. (Jerking the pistol forward and down.) My groups are becoming more consistent (for me).

- Do any of you have this experience? It seems that most of you aim lower with a normal sight aligment.
- Is there any reason why I should not train this way since it works for me?

More information: I've noticed that this works for me on both my pistols (Ruger P95 and XD40). My daughter does not shoot the XD low like I do. Her grip is much less firm, and she has more muzzle flip. I use a very firm grip with my support hand.

I have considering looking into a elevation-adjustable rear sight, but don't want to do that until I can be sure that I'm not doing something technically wrong.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Looks like your pistol may be shooting a little low. (Without seeing you shoot and being there it is near impossible to tell) It doesn't seem that bad but you can always send it to SA or another gunsmith to have it adjusted (if it can be). Do you have another pistol to compare it to?

In comparison:
I just sent in my SA 1911 because it was shooting WAY low. If I lined up the 3 dots: |0|0|0| it wouldn't even hit the paper at 25 yards! In order to hit the paper I had to aim at the top of the target. (Where it say 25 yard slow fire target)....

HTH

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
get a shorter front sight to solve the problem.

mcone said:

- Do any of you have this experience? It seems that most of you aim lower with a normal sight aligment.
- Is there any reason why I should not train this way since it works for me?

what kind of training?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
therooster said:
Can you recommend a front sight that might be lower? It looks like I would need one that puts the red dot directly on the slide.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
mcone said:
therooster said:
Can you recommend a front sight that might be lower? It looks like I would need one that puts the red dot directly on the slide.
most SIG sight will work. i dont know exactly wich ones, but i do know they have different hights.

there was a thread on the boards about the SIG sights working with XDs, but i dont remember what the title was.

you might want to try searching with "sig sights", or "front sight". unless someone remembers the topic and posts a link.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mcone said:
therooster said:
I know there are adjustable rear sights out there for the XD - that may be the way to go. I got a question for ya, I'm about 10 minutes from Williams - did you get those sites installed by them? If so, they may work with you on getting the issue fixed.

I like the contrast on those - how much were they and how much was installation? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
IF you get to know your weapon the way as it is now....you'll be able to hit where you want without any sight adjustment.
Might just be the way you shoot with your gun....if that makes any sense?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dinzag666 said:
I know there are adjustable rear sights out there for the XD - that may be the way to go. I got a question for ya, I'm about 10 minutes from Williams - did you get those sites installed by them? If so, they may work with you on getting the issue fixed.

I like the contrast on those - how much were they and how much was installation? Thanks...
I installed them. Removing the original sights is the difficult part. Williams may be able to change these for you. If you need help, let me know. I can give you some pointers.

Putting the Firesights on requires some filing of the dovetail slide. This is a delicate process because the fit for the front sight must be very snug. It is very easy to take too much metal off the front dovetail slide. (I had to purchase a second front sight from Williams due to this problem.)

The cost is about $50 for both in a kit. William will sell them separately if you ask though.

File the front sight like this (both sides of the slide).

Push in from right to left like this. If it moves any farther by force from your hand alone, then you may have taken too much off the slide. File a bit then slide it in for a test, then file some more until it is slid in probably 25% of the slide max. In the image below, the front sight is almost too far by hand-force.

Direction of sight removal/installation: Some say to remove the sights left to right. Install the sights right to left. I'm not sure it makes any difference on the XD, but I do it that way anyway.

I recommend a 1/2" or larger dowel to move the sight into position the rest of the way. There is no way a wooden dowel will mar the finish of the sight. It should be tight enough that you have to hit the dowel pretty firmly with a hammer.

To do this, it is probably easiest to use a vice with cardboard to protect the sides of the slide. The slide was placed in the vice so that the hammering was in the horizontal (to keep the slide from moving out of the vice.)

Gunsmiths often use "sight pushers" to remove/install sights. The only sight pusher that I know of that will handle the force of the sight removal in this way is a $500+ universal sight pusher from Brownell. According to those who use it, even this super expensive sight pusher nearly cannot handle the load of pushing XD stock sights.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FatMatt1981 said:
Might just be the way you shoot with your gun....if that makes any sense?
Exactly what I was thinking.

I just don't want to fly solo here without some advice from many of you who have had scores of years of experience with handguns. I was raised on rifle only. So I consider self-defense with handguns my new hobby (for about two years now). And I'm playing catch-up on technique.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mcone, thanks for the information! Excellent pictures and description by the way! I'll have to give it a try. It will give me another reason to blaze through a few hundred more rounds.

As far as the shot placement...when I first got the XD, it took me a little to get used to the trigger pull distance. It seem I'd hit low-left consistantly with pretty good groups. My G-17 has a shorter pull and a slightly different point of aim when I pull the gun up.

Thanks again & good luck with getting it dialed in.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sig #8 front and rear are the standard for the XD. Some Sigs come with a #6 front #8 rear, so you have to be a bit careful of the details if you order Sig sights for your XD. I can't remember offhand which direction a change in sight number would move the point of impact. The #8s on my XD40 seem just right for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fly-Sig said:
Sig #8 front and rear are the standard for the XD. Some Sigs come with a #6 front #8 rear, so you have to be a bit careful of the details if you order Sig sights for your XD. I can't remember offhand which direction a change in sight number would move the point of impact. The #8s on my XD40 seem just right for me.
OK - So the Sig numbering system indicates height of the Sig sight. And I need to figure out which number corresponds to which height. I'll search the net using that information. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mcone said:
Fly-Sig said:
OK - So the Sig numbering system indicates height of the Sig sight. And I need to figure out which number corresponds to which height. I'll search the net using that information. Thanks.
Check CDNN on the internet they had the whole set of Sig front sights in different numbers for almost nothing in cost. Don't know if they sold all of them but when you get on the site go the gun parts then click on Sig.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
utccop said:
Check CDNN on the internet they had the whole set of Sig front sights in different numbers for almost nothing in cost. Don't know if they sold all of them but when you get on the site go the gun parts then click on Sig.
Yes, they appear to have some. Thanks.

Also, I found this website that gives the actual heights of the different sight numbers:

http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/SigProFAQ/VI/2.html

I'll include some info here in case the praxagora site ever goes down.

Rear Sight Heights:

# #4 = 5.24mm (0.21 inches)
# #5 = 5.52mm (0.22 inches)
# #6 = 5.80mm (0.23 inches)
# #7 = 6.07mm (0.24 inches)
# #8 = 6.35mm (0.25 inches)
# #9 = 6.62mm (0.26 inches)
# #10 = 6.90mm (0.27 inches)

Front Sight Heights:

# #5 = 6.01mm (0.235 inches)
# #6 = 5.88mm (0.230 inches)
# #7 = 5.74mm (0.225 inches)
# #8 = 5.60mm (0.220 inches)
# #9 = 5.46mm (0.215 inches)
# #10 = 5.32mm (0.210 inches)

A higher rear sight number (taller) will raise the point of impact, but a smaller front sight number (taller) will lower the point of impact.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
invssgt said:
Thank you, Mcone- excellent information.
You are welcome. I think that I will post this info in the Accessories section with its own title so we can find it in the future.
- Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts