Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I read about this guy who got a new gun or accesory from his wife but has to keep it in the safe until Xmas. I'm kinda the same but different.
I just got my wife a Glock tac light/laser (GLT 21?), and an EFK 9mm conversion barrel for Xmas so I've got to keep them hidden for several weeks. Of course I had to check out the light before hiding it.

Very impressed with this Glock unit. It fits onto the rail very snug, the controls feel good, bright light and laser, windage and elevation adjustments, and you can control the light and laser together or independently.
There's one thing that sucks about this combination. They put the laser below the light, so now there's a huge paralax error when aiming from different distances.
If the laser is zeroed at a distance of 10ft, then at 25ft the laser pointer is 5 inches above target. If the laser is zeroed at 25ft, then at 10ft the laser pointer is 5 inches blow the target.

It's still close enough to get the job done but when paying over $200 for something...

I guess the wait will be worth it when I get to see my wife's face on Xmas. She was drooling over this thing when our instructor demonstrated it at our safety class.

·
Registered
539 Posts
congrats on the new toy... even though it is for your wife. hehe...

Let me ask though, what made you decide on that particular weaponlight instead of some of the other ones on the market? I purchased an x200 not too long ago and i'm really pleased with it, and if you paid over 200 for that particular light/laser combo... its right in the same ballpark price.

On a positive note, i've heard some glock owners even remark that the glock light actually fit better on the xd than it did on the glock. Thats kind of amusing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reasons for going with the Glock GTL 21:

-Price, price, price: $225 final price from Salt Lake Optics, that included shipping.

-Reviews and capabilities: I saw a few posts saying the Glock units fit better on the XD than the Insight line. I was looking at the X2L because I really liked the shorter unit but then found out the Light/Laser could not be used independently.

It wasn't until after my purchase did I finally see one with the laser above the light (so it's more in line with the barrel) from another XD forum, I can't remember the make of it but it was quite a few more dollars.

Again see my first reason listed. PRICE.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I bought the light/laser combo I wanted to make sure it could really be useful in a home defense situation and not just eyecandy. I read quite a few threads, most saying that they would rather go with low level light sights and a tac light instead of laser. Alot said the laser would only be useful at the range for target practice. The laser pointer jumps around too much to aim well. They see no good advantage to be able to operate the light and laser independently.
Well, even though 90% of posts went against the laser, I went with it.

-About working the light and laser independently:
A home defense situation is more than likely going to happen in darkness. For me, I would like to be able to flash the perp once with the light so I can identify the target (is it really a foe, or is it my drunk moron cousin trying to get in my house after the bar closed?) and hopefully blind him for a few seconds. Then switch to the laser so I don't give off my position too noticably. If I can leave him in the dark (I don't want him getting familiar with the surroundings) but know my aim is still on him, that's an advantage.

-About TFO sights instead of laser:
Using sights takes alot of your attention off the perp. Using a laser lets you know your gun is trained on him without disattention to the situation.

-About the laser jumping around too much:
If the laser pointer is shaking too much while trying to aim, that's your own fault, not the laser. The laser is just going to show you where the bullet will hit, whether you're using laser or regular sights. As I was playing comando for an hour before my wife got home, I had no problem keeping the red dot fixed on the imaginary perp invading my home. The only time I see the laser jumping around is when you fire the weapon, and then it should be no harder to reaquire the target with the laser as it would be with regular sights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently tried the Glock tactical light/laser on my XD-40 Service. I know some of you purists may gag, but it fits beautifully, like a glove, and works well. I was blown away to see my groupings at 7 yds. dramatically improve. The laser really helps with my 42 yr. old eyes, and is easy to adjust for elev. and windage. The laser is also very interesting to use while dry firing, I can see if I'm squirming around while triggering. Cool! 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts