Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at alot of the threads about the differences in the service models and the tactical models. It looks like most of the folks on the forum feel that the service model (9mm and .40 SW) is more accurate than the tactical model. While one can argue that the shorter barrel should be more accurate (from a technical standpoint), it's really hard for me to believe that, for the most part, that you can shoot the service model more accurately. The longer sight radius should make accuracy better. I'm seriously considering a .40 Tactical to "customize", and I'm wondering what kind of success some of you Tactical owners have had - especially in comparison to your service models. By the way, I own an HS2000 that I've had some work done to (not the barrel), and it's quite accurate. :?:

·
Registered
813 Posts
I find the tactical more accurate for me. Longer sight radius makes for more accuracy and a little more power for the round.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I talked to an avid 1911 shooter who spent a day at the range with a XD40 Tactical at one of Springfield's events. He said that his 1911 was plenty accurate, but that the Tactical was the most accurate handgun he has ever tried. He did not compare it to the XD40 Service.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've been visiting this forum for over a year and I seemed to have missed the threads that the Standard is more accurate than the Tactical. I have a Tactical in 9mm and a Standard in .40 and a SC in 9mm. I can shoot the Tactical more accurately off hand. I do not see any difference in accuracy shooting at rest....

I also have not ever read that the shorter barrel XD is technically more accurate than the Tactical. In fact, the trend in guns is that the longer the barrel, the more accurate the gun (provided, of course, that we are looking at the same quality of manufacter).

In bullseye competition, the standard autoloader is 5 inches I believe....

I have found, in the limited number of Tacticals I've looked at that the triggers seemed to be heavier than the Standard service guns. I do not know if this is because the factory is having issues or just small sample size variation (also, I had to change out the front sight on my tactical as it was shooting too high even using the factory suggested 6 O clock hold at rest; but this is likely due to that fact that the factory is no longer spending the time to sight in guns as they used to-guns are no longer being shipped with a live fire test target).

It is my experience that if you enjoy slow fire target practice, the Tactical would be your best choice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all your responses. I ordered a Tactical 40 today (I'm a dealer). I'm well aware that longer barrel guns are usually easier to shoot accurately. I guess I should have said that a shorter barrel can be just as accurate as the longer one (I'm talking about the barrel, not the shooters ability). As Margana mentioned, in a rest the short barrels perform about the same. It's when the shooter's actual ability comes into play, that the longer sight radius helps with perceived accuracy. Really what I intended to do here was make sure there were no accuracy issues with the XD Tacticals. Right now my plans are to add a Barsto barrel, get a trigger job, add MMC adjustable night sights, stainless guide rod, and have Tripp hard chrome it. Thanks again everybody. I'll post some pics when I get some of the work done. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Both my service XD9s shoot much tighter groups, and to the point of aim, than my XD9 Tactical (which also shoots about 3 " too high). I had an XD40 Tactical for a while, and it shot well; no complaints.

I plan to get another 40 Tactical, and add a 9mm BarSto barrel. FWIW.

These groups were from a rest.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting MMC adjustable night sights. Hopefully my XD40 Tactical will shoot to POA, but if not, the sights should be able to compensate for that. I just received my Tactical today. I'm gonna shoot it some and send it on for the trigger work. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts