Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
I am making one thread out of what might be three. I figured it would be better than posting a ton...so here goes.

1. I have an XD 40 SC. I have a 9 round standard size mag but can actually fit 10 rounds into it making the gun 10+1. When I have 10 in the mag it is much more difficult to get the mag into the gun. Is this bad? Should I carry 10 or 9? Is it possible to damage the pistol by having 10 in the mag?

2. I polished my barrel. I know many of us have done this. I thought I would share my pics with you. I think it turned out great. After I was finished I gave it two coats of Blue Wonder Armadillo. I think/hope this will protect it from any rust issues as I do live in a very humid area. We shall see.
Here is a link to the pics.
http://djdanweaver.tripod.com/xd/

3. I called Lasermax today and talked directly with a Tech Customer Service Rep named Doug Warmbrodt. He said the Lasermax units underwent a last minute change. He said the new improved unit has to test out 100% perfect for 5,000 rounds before they will produce them. He said they may even go for 10,000 rounds to make sure. They will PROBABLY be shipping out at the end of this month.

After he finished telling me about that he said "not to make my XDSC a range gun." He went on to knock the quality/reliability of the XDSC saying that they had broken triggers and firing pins and and jamming and blah blah blah.
I personally think this guy is full of $hit but what can you do. I forgot to ask him what kind of gun he owns. I think the odds are high it would be a Glock.
I know of many people with many thousands of rounds through their SC's. Someone on this forum (don't remember who) has over 20,000 rounds through their SC with little problems watsoever. This makes me wonder if their laser is causing malfunctions with the XDSC.hmmmm.
I really want one of these units so I guess I will be a Guinea pig for one. Since I have both an SC9 and SC40 I will just purchase one and shoot the crap out of it. Man I will be mad if it jacks up my gun.

Any help or comments are appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
That's funny since one of the head design engineers owns and Carry's an xd sub 9mm its his main gun. And when we were talking at the shot show he had nothing but praise. Oh yea his personal xd sub that had a prototype guide rod, had already had several thousand rounds through it. The tech is an idiot the striker and trigger are the same ones that are used in the other xd`s. I have never heard any one ever say they broke a trigger, A firing pin yes but only one most are destroyed doing home trigger jobs.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah ajames. I think that guy just plain wrong but whatever. You should call and ask the guy you know about that.

On the other subject...about the mag. I bet you could answer my question. I bet you got wrapped up in the Lasermax part of the thread didnt ya!?

Bestow the knowledge.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
DJDan said:
Thanks!
Can't help you on the magazine issue since I don't know. But if you want my gut on it, I would say stick with the 9 rounds since that is what it was designed for. If you can't get a defensive job done with 9+1, I doubt the extra round is going to save your bacon.

I didn't polish my barrel. I did (sort of) polish the hood, since that's the part you see and that's the part that tends to show wear in the bluing (or whatever the finish is). I haven't had any rust issues, and I doubt you will either. The barrels are made of a different type of steel than the slides and they seem more rust resistant. Still, I would certainly keep the barrel from getting dry and unprotected. The front of the barrel and the hood should be lubricated anyway (aside from protected from rust).

The guy who told you the XDSC is unreliable is obviously blowing smoke. Even if the gun were not reliable, why not use it as a range gun? If a gun fails on a range, so what? Better there than when needed for self defense. Are you sure that he didn't say it the other way around?

As for the Lasermax...have fun. I am not sure what purpose the thing serves, but toys are all fun to own. I have shot guns with laser sights, and they are ok, but they are not going to help you learn to be a more proficient shooter unless you use it to demonstrate to yourself how much a little bit of shake is multiplied by at 25 yards. But you should know that anyway. At realistic defensive distances you should be able to point and shoot without needing to rely on any kind of sight (IMO). That just comes with practice. I am a big believer in spending money on practice ammo. I did buy a pretty expensive red dot sight for my .22 target pistol, but shooting tic tacs and pea sized targets with a 7 inch barrel on a .22 is a different sport than what you can do with a .40 or 9mm XD Sub.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delija said:
DJDan said:
Thanks!
The guy who told you the XDSC is unreliable is obviously blowing smoke. Even if the gun were not reliable, why not use it as a range gun? If a gun fails on a range, so what? Better there than when needed for self defense. Are you sure that he didn't say it the other way around?

As for the Lasermax...have fun. I am not sure what purpose the thing serves, but toys are all fun to own. I have shot guns with laser sights, and they are ok, but they are not going to help you learn to be a more proficient shooter unless you use it to demonstrate to yourself how much a little bit of shake is multiplied by at 25 yards. But you should know that anyway. At realistic defensive distances you should be able to point and shoot without needing to rely on any kind of sight (IMO). That just comes with practice. I am a big believer in spending money on practice ammo. I did buy a pretty expensive red dot sight for my .22 target pistol, but shooting tic tacs and pea sized targets with a 7 inch barrel on a .22 is a different sport than what you can do with a .40 or 9mm XD Sub.

D.
I am 100% sure of what he said to me. I think he is just not a fan of that particular pistol.

I want a laser because if I ever HAVE to actually use pistol in self defense it MAY difuse the situation by leaving the person that the gun is pointed at with the 100% realization that I AM going to hit my target.

Some of you may not agree with this method of thinking and that is fine with me. We all have different reasons for the things we do with our guns.

I agree that more ammo down the range is the best training and do plenty of that. I take my aim and ability to hit a target seriously. :)

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
DJDan PM returned

You know what I hate is when someone tells you "Oh no, you don't want that" Don't tell me what I want or do not want, everyone want the same thing but at the same time they also what different things....So basically find what works for you. A perfect example If I were to ask if Llama 1911`s were any good/work. You would get lots of bad answers.

I own a Llama govt model Max-1, and guess what mine works.....I did have to do some cleaning up of a few things but after a few things. Like shave a few thousands off the inside of the slide stop, square up the bottom of the rear sight. And I did not have feeding problems but I polished the feed ramp and chamber area anyway. It works for me. Oh yea the xd`s and even the I guess crappy subcompacts also work for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts