Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my friend's S&W .40 today, kind of testing it against my XD40. My impression is that the S&W's trigger is crisp enough (shooting it in SA mode), but it feels like about an 8 lb. pull. My XD40 is almost as crisp, and has a reasonable 5.5 lb. pull. The S&W, being heavier, has less recoil of course, but I had to think about it to notice the difference.

I shot 10 rounds each from from a sandbag rest at 15 yards. They both put 7 of the 10 into about 2.25 inches (in each case 4 shots were touching), with 3 others opening the groups to about 3.5 inches. My XD40 normally does just about this good from a rest.

As a comparison, I decided to shoot 10 rounds from my Ruger P97, same distance, also from a sandbag rest. All 10 went into 2 inches, with 8 of the 10 into 1.25 inches. Again, this is about the way this gun always shoots for me.

My impression is that the XD40 is certainly more fun to shoot than the S&W, nicer trigger pull for sure. I think if I shot both guns without a rest the XD40's better trigger pull would make a big difference in group size. But neither gun is super accurate. I keep trying new loads for the XD40, and I've found out it certainly prefers jacketed bullets over lead. Maybe I shouldn't be expecting more accuracy from the XD. I keep telling myself it's OK for personal protection purposes. (Everytime I shoot it though, I get a little irritated. Why can't the XD40 be as accurate as the Ruger??).

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know if it's the ammo or your particular XD, but I do know that Rob Leatham can take one off the shelf without any modifications and shoot off hand at 25 yrds and keep all rounds in 2". Impressive! Anyway, keep trying with different ammo and experiment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts