Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any info on the SW40VE? How does it compare to the XD40? Now that the XD's are going up in $$$ would you consider the SW40VE?

At around a $100 or more difference, the SW40VE has got my attention.

Thanks from a newbie,

Eagle1

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Eagle1, there is a write up on the S&W 40 GVE in the recent American Handgunner magazine. They did a 3000 round "torture" test of it and apparently it performed well. Two malfunctions in 3000 rounds, and they attribute them to the shooter limp wristing.

This is the former S&W Sigma, which was apparently a direct copy of the early Glocks, Glock sued them and SW then changed some key points of the design which apparently (at the time) negatively impacted performance.

The article notes that the 40GVE performed well...however this IS an XD forum and MY vote is on the XD! I have an HS2000 generation one with many many thousands of rounds through it without any major issues to speak of...that said...if money is the issue, then buy what you can afford...or save up and get the XD and live happily ever after. 8)

·
Registered
87 Posts
i have the 40v(early model) and it is very dependable but not real accurate IMHO. they sell under $300 at gun shows. SO-FLO, i had it with me Saturday but as you said there were so many guns changing hands i forgot to offer it to anyone to shoot. think i might try to trade it for something new. trading is usually the only way i can afford to get a new gun.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If you want aftermarket support and accessories, the XD-40 is the way to go.

If you're just going to use your gun for basic self defense needs and don't want to spend a lot of money, the SW40GVE should work fine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
All good points. If you have the $$ then go XD but IMO the S&W is a decent gun for the $. Some dont like the trigger but I have seen them for around $288. Good luck in your deision.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A friend of mine just purchased a SW40VE at Gander Mt. for $299. Not a bad gun if you can deal with the trigger. It throws off my friends accuracy, but I shot fine with it at 21ft. But, me pesonally, I'd spend the extra $$$ and get the XD.

·
Registered
56 Posts
XD!!!!! but hey i guess im alittle biased.. ive shot the ve.. and if you have the patience to wait ten minutes to fire a round go for the savings.. but all in all.. the xd is MUCH!!! better.. imo. bt hey you know how it goes.. we all have opinions.. and theyre like....... blah blah blah

·
Registered
266 Posts
Personally, I went from a SW40V to an XD 40 for duty use. Hands down, I would go with the XD. My qualification scores went from consistent 84% to 98% just by changing weapons. The SW40V isn't a bad gun, the XD is just better. And as mentioned earlier, the difference in triggers is night and day. Good luck and happy shooting with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you want a gun in the league with a Taurus or Kel-tec
or something that can hold its own next to a Glock or Sig.
Don't jump and pay 300 for an OK gun. Either buy used or
wait another week or month until you get the other other 100 for the XD
and do it right the first time. In the end you'll be happy and might
even save yourself from taking a loss when trading the SW in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Eagle1 said:
Anybody have any info on the SW40VE? How does it compare to the XD40? Now that the XD's are going up in $$$ would you consider the SW40VE?

At around a $100 or more difference, the SW40VE has got my attention.

Thanks from a newbie,

Eagle1
I work at a gun shop, and like my boss would say" YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"!:!:!
Had a sigma and never again

·
Registered
31 Posts
i owned a sigma 9ve. i sold that gun to buy my XD. the sigma is a about as good as a hi point. not worth the money. the frame warped on mine and many other people ive talked to had the same problem. i would stay away from that gun. just buy another XD or your first. my $ .2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts