Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 inch .40 and a 4inch .40 and am thinking of getting either the 3 inch .40 or 9mm.
Can my existing .40 magazines fit into the 3inch subcompact?
Also can my .40 magazines be used with 9mm if I get a 9mm drop in barrel for my 4 and 5 inch.? I am looking for interchange ability, back and forth usage between .40 and 9mm.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
203 Posts
yes service mags can be used in the sc. SA makes a grip adapter to fill the gap, and fits quite nicely
don't think you can use the mags with a 9 mm conversion though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search and found my answer about the magazines. Thanks guys.
Cant decide of what to get, the 9 or the .40- in the subcompact.
My thinking is a smaller gun with the 9's will have faster follow up shots, but I will read what people who have shot both feel.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
yes service mags can be used in the sc. SA makes a grip adapter to fill the gap, and fits quite nicely
don't think you can use the mags with a 9 mm conversion though
XD40 mags work fine in XD9s but you may have to tighten the gap in the mag lips by 1mm.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I say get the .40, since you already own one and the mags are compatible. I hear (and if you look around alittle) that the .40 recoil is almost equal to the 9mm. I have a 9mm and the recoil is so easy to control. I went with the 9mm beacuse of two reasons. 1. I have a 9mm service 2. the ammo is cheaper.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I say get the .40, since you already own one and the mags are compatible. I hear (and if you look around alittle) that the .40 recoil is almost equal to the 9mm. I have a 9mm and the recoil is so easy to control. I went with the 9mm beacuse of two reasons. 1. I have a 9mm service 2. the ammo is cheaper.
No way.... The 40 recoil is very snappy compared to the 9mm and tiresome if you are going to be shooting a couple of hundrend rounds in a session. As a self defense round it is fine and you can download to get a very nice range round but the 45ACP is less annoying. If you are shooting over the counter rounds it will not take you long to get tired of shooting the 40. I know there are those out there who just love their 40s and I really like my XD(M) 40 but no way is the recoil equal to the 9mm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts