Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I feel completely safe with one in the chamber, with a quality holster. Try this
carry cocked without a round in the chamber around your house for a few days. After you notice the firing pin never drops you will be more at ease.
Also always follow the primary safety rule with any gun. Do not put your finger inside the trigger guard until you are ready to fire the weapon.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
one-eyed fatman said it right. plus, a good holster always help :wink:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
How else should you carry your weapon? Mr. BG, please wait a minute while I load my weapon.

Condition one unless it's in the desk night to my Cocked and Locked Kimber.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Finger off the trigger. I also put keep my hand off the grip safety when I put the XD in the holster.

I carried it around cocked without a round in the chamber for a day or so to get comfortable with that the striker will not move by itself while in the holster.

Oilman

·
Registered
259 Posts
The only way to carry is one in the chamber ready to go. If you keep your finger off the trigger, you wont have a problem. Remember your finger does not go in the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
I always carry withone in the pipe.

The only way to do that safely is to have a holster that COMPLETELY covers the trigger and to keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Also, avoid any holsters with retention straps that would depress the grip safety.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
yeah, when i had just bought my XD, about a month beofre i got my permit, i had it in the back of my truck locked up in a box under my lockable tonno cover. So a friend I worked with who was at that time just a deputy reserve with teh SD wanted to check it out. Well, he looked at it, took one of the loaded mags from teh box and put it in it, , cycled the slide to chamber a round, and then closed up everything back the way it was. I was like, "Why did you do that?"

He replied, "Makes for a mighty expensive paper weight carrying it around like the way you had it."

He went on to explain that even if I didn't have a permit, but i had to scramble for it in teh back of my truck, that time I needed to grab the mag and chamber it could be the time i need to save someone's ass or my own. When i got my clipdraw, i carried around for a while un-chambered, but i started carrying chambered because i don't tuck my shirt in and it fit pretty tight in my waistband. I eventually did the right thing though and got a cheap but good IWB holster...

carry your junk ready to rock! once your comfortable with it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
How safe is a gun that isn't ready to be shot, when you need to shoot it? Doesn't sound safe to me.

Raymond

·
Registered
595 Posts
Glocks have even less safety features than the XD but most cops I've talk to carry in "Condition 1". A fully loaded DA revolver is always in "Condition 1"

·
Registered
453 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
Joe Lloyd 44 said:
How do you carry XD40 in Condition 1?
I think that would be un-safe.
Please describe how to safely do this .
It's pretty simple. Keep your damn finger off the trigger.
+1 :D

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Until my gf gets more comfortable with one in the chamber I carry it around the house without one in it. But she knows once I can carry, there will always be one in there.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Maybe this will help. This is my response to a similar question a couple weeks ago around here.

Understanding exactly what is happening with the grip safety AND the trigger safety will help your comfort level.

Unless the trigger safety is pressed then the trigger cannot move to the rear AND until the trigger is slightly moved to the rear will the firing pin safety move out of the way of the firing pin. The firing pin is physically blocked until the trigger moves about 1/4 inch to the rear. AND...if the grip safety is not depressed then the sear is also physically blocked. When these two conditions are met, then further rearward pressure of the trigger will the sear release the firing pin to contact the primer and fire the pistol.

Also, carry it around the house without one in the chamber but in condition 1 until you see for yourself that it is safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts