Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try .40 S&W Remington UMC 180 grain MC cartridges in my XD40 4". Out of only 48 cartridges, I had 4 FTFs! The cartridge got stuck halfway up the feed ramp to the breech, preventing the slide from closing completely. I had to cycle the slide to eject the stuck cartridge and load the next one from the magazine. It seemed that the extra ridge on the flat-nosed bullet was the culprit, as my gun and magazines have no obvious defects. I spent the rest of the day shooting WWB. I love using Remington products, but this particular one lacks the performance I demand.

I have a decent amount of shooting experience, keep my guns very clean, and shoot using proper technique. Any similar experiences with this problem?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a full clean and lube on my gun the night before taking it out to shoot the UMCs. When the failures occurred on the firing line, I did not break down and lube the gun because I wanted to test the ammo's reliability. I could see that the tip of the bullet was catching on the feed ramp because it rubbed a clean spot on the feed ramp through the gunpowder. Besides, each of the four times the FTF occurred, I thought it would be the last jam. I've fired about 1000 cartridges through this gun, mostly WWB, some Federal American Eagle, and Speer Lawman. But this is the first of the UMC design that I've put though it.

To date, Speer Lawman has been most reliable for me. I guess every gun has its own favorite cartridge. Hopefully mine will warm up to UMC.

To the XD's superior design, when the jams occurred, I recognized right away that something was wrong because the striker status pin was not visible. It is part of my sight picture, and I noticed right away when it was missing. This is an awesome gun - for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R/T-

The cartridge stopped halfway up the feed ramp, in all 4 cases. UNLESS, it fed successfully into the barrel but then popped back out...(unlikely), but I'll check for that the next time it jams. The trigger never reset from the last shot and the striker was not engaged.

Granted by XD-40 could use some more break-in, I'm not really sure what to expect from UMC the next time I shoot them. I still have a box left and I don't know what to do with it! Yes I do - I'll shoot 'em.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My XD-40 is completely stock. I suppose a stronger spring could manhandle the UMC fully into the barrel thereby eliminating my problem. However, I like the factory feel. I would like to switch to fiber-optic sights someday, but I've read about them falling off. Nothing a little super glue can't fix, right?

·
Registered
245 Posts
My XD-40 did the same even with a 24# spring. Didn't matter what ammo. Springfield asked me to send it in. They worked on it, sent it back, and it has never FTF again.

If you find that the problem does not go away, consider calling SA. They will ask you to send it for repairs. I got mine back after about three weeks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This may be unrelated but my very first .40 pistol was a Walther P99. I shot probably 200-300 rounds from that damned thing with many of the same failures you describe before I realized it just plain didn't like 180 grain UMC. I know it sounds stupid as can be but as soon as I switched ammo ( WWB )I had not one failure in the next ~1000. Just to experiment I tried the UMC again in that pistol and had a similar result to what I had in the first attempt. I actually have heard from many people since that UMC has some of the sloppiest tolerances in their case dimension on the market as far as bargain range ammo goes. Just my experience.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine is also picky about the UMC 180gr. Never a problem with the WWB though, so that is what I practice with. Mine is also flawless with Speer, Wolf of all things, and pretty much anything else besides the UMC.
IJ

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
spade said:
My XD-40 is completely stock. I suppose a stronger spring could manhandle the UMC fully into the barrel thereby eliminating my problem. However, I like the factory feel. I would like to switch to fiber-optic sights someday, but I've read about them falling off. Nothing a little super glue can't fix, right?
I have a hi-vize on my four inch and its great front sight for the money .and just had tfo's installed by rich on the sub-compact and will rate them after I beat them up awhile :p

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Some bullet profiles don't seem to feed as well in the XD40 and I believe that they can all be made to feed well.

First off is check the magazine lips and see that they hold the cartridge at the "right" angle. You can open or close the lips to adjust this.

Second is polish the feed ramp. Some pistols have enough "tooth" on the ramp to cause a feed problem.

Third is to polish the chamber, especially at the top where the bullet deflects from off of the ramp.

Fourth is to radius the transition between the ramp and the chamber. Some production runs have left this a bit sharp, and smoothing this seems to help quite a bit in feeding. This is not a big change, maybe 0.050" radius if it seems to be an edge.

I would bet that the 4th offering is the culprit, but the others can be done at less risk if you have any doubts about what you are doing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts