Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an XD40 Tactical but traded it for a XD9 tactical. Unfortunately, the Tactical 9 doesn't group as well as the 40 did, and the 9 Tactical shoots about 6" high at 50 feet. Neither of the Tacticals shot as well as my service XD9 which hits about 1" high at 50 feet and puts 10 rounds into one ragged hole.

Now I am considering trading the 9 Tactical back in for a 40 Tactical, and buying a BARSTO 9mm conversion barrel for it. I'm confident the BARSTO will resolve any grouping issues.

My question is: How close does the 9mm conversion barrel print to the original 40 barrel? I'm picky enough that I want my guns to group well, and print at the point of aim or up to 2" high at ranges out to 25 yards.

Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I'm using the same ammo as I use in my 4" XD and S&Ws (and CZ75 and G19 for that matter). The 9mm Tactical groups are roughly twice the size of the 4" XD groups and at least 3" higher. I haven't found that much difference in practical accuracy between different jacketed 9mm ammo although different bullet weights will print differently (I avoid Wolf and other overseas ammo). Cast bullet loads, however, are a different matter and I only use jacketed in 9mm.

Most of my 9mm shooting is a mild load of 4.2 grains of Bullseye and bulk 115 grain FMJ (usually Rem) bullets. My carry load is WW 127+p+ although I have used 115 WW +p+ and CorBon. I shoot some WalMart white box Rem or WW, but can save a couple of dollars per box by loading on my Dillon 550.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My real question concerns the point of impact of the 9mm conversion barrel when compared to the original 40 barrel. I like the idea of changing calibers by changing barrels, but if they gun doesn't shoot to almost the same point of aim, then I wouldn't be interested.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
In all of my testing, I haven't seen a change when switching between barrels. Certainly the barrel's fit is part of its accuracy and POI.

Have others seen a change in POI when switching between barrels?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is good to know. Just confirming, you did not see a change in point of impact when switching between .40 and 9mm?

Also, which brand of barrel did you use and did you see an improvement in group size when going to the "match grade" conversion barrel?

I would tend toward BarSto due to past good experience in 1911s, but the Fire Dragon barrels are a bit cheaper. I would buy the drop in version of either brand.

Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased an XD 40 Service Model (4" barrel) and later bought the 9 mm conversion barrel and tried it out today. It jammed on me 3 times in 50 rounds. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the entire upper slide with the 9 mm ejector clip so I can put it on my current handle bottom and use it together with the 9 mm barrel? Where can I buy...what do I ask for?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where are you guys getting your barrels? I'd like to see about a threaded-barrel for my XD45.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I purchased an XD 40 Service Model (4" barrel) and later bought the 9 mm conversion barrel and tried it out today. It jammed on me 3 times in 50 rounds. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase the entire upper slide with the 9 mm ejector clip so I can put it on my current handle bottom and use it together with the 9 mm barrel? Where can I buy...what do I ask for?
Only chance for a new slide is from a private seller, SA doesn't sell slides separately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts