Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure the XD vs. XDM question has been beat to death but I have a trigger question. I own an sub-compact XD that I'm perfectly happy with. I want to buy a little larger 9mm but would like a little better trigger than my stock XD.

I'm not particularly interested in any of the other features of the XDM other than the supposedly improved trigger. So, would I be better off getting an XD and buying a PRP trigger to drop in it, or just spend $100 more for an XDM?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I'm sure the XD vs. XDM question has been beat to death but I have a trigger question. I own an sub-compact XD that I'm perfectly happy with. I want to buy a little larger 9mm but would like a little better trigger than my stock XD.

I'm not particularly interested in any of the other features of the XDM other than the supposedly improved trigger. So, would I be better off getting an XD and buying a PRP trigger to drop in it, or just spend $100 more for an XDM?

The trigger on the xd/m is no different then the xd, i have both and they measure nearly the same on my lyman digital trigger gauge.

Spend your money on a trigger kit rather then expecting the M to be better.

don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm not so much as interested in the pull as I am the travel and specially the reset length. I've not shot my XD enough to break the trigger in so no complaints, but I was sure under the impression that the XDm had a different trigger. I don't see that many comments on how great the XDm trigger is but I do see a lot of comments on the improvement the drop in trigger kit offers.

I'm thinking overall the PRP kit would be a better investment.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Considering your focus on travel and reset, go with PRP ultimate kit (not drop in). Requires some fitting, instructions on their website, remove material from stop until striker releases plus a bit to allow for temperature variations. I had no issues. Big improvement on my XD9.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased the XDM 4.5" 9mm over the XD Service about a month ago because of the trigger travel (among other things) and over the Glock 17 just based on ergos. The break on the XDM does break much sooner than the XD but I didn't notice any difference in the amount of over travel or reset. The break on the Glock was much more crisp than the XD or XDM with no over travel and the reset was superb! I think Glocks are great, reliable guns but the XD and XDM just felt better in hand and had a more natural point of aim for me personally.

Anyway, I put 300 rounds through my new XDM last weekend and the gun functioned flawlessly, but I did short-stroke the trigger reset several times. I love everything about the XDM aside from the trigger reset. I shot a fellow range-goer's stock full size Glock .45 and, again, the reset made me wish my XDM came with a better trigger.

Powder River Precision makes a $145 Match Trigger kit and a $100 standard trigger kit that I've heard reduces travel, over travel and reset. But, investing another $100-$150 (while that's not a lot to the competition guys with $2,500 pistols) to improve a $600 gun I just bought isn't what I had in mind.

I'm still debating whether I go the route of improving the XDM's trigger or doing a side by side XDM 4.5" vs. Glock 17 comparison to determine which I prefer. More to come. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts