Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about SHTF rifles for the truck today. What should I keep in there and what not. Should I go with an AR since thats what the one at homes is or do I go with something I can conceal easily like the Kel Tec sub 2000. Got to thinking about the ammo I keep in the truck for my Xd 45 and thought maybe I should get a 45 like the Hi point or H&k USC .45. That got me thinking how cool would a xdm carbine be? could use all my shtf mags in the truck for both guns depending on need. I figure a shtf truck gun is prolly going to be mostly close quarter till I can get to the house. And Xdm carbine in .45 would be pretty freaking sweet eh?

·
Registered
460 Posts
command arms makes a RONI carbine kit for the XD but I believe that it'll only work with 9mms. it's a pretty "CHA" design but it's $500 and it's on a waiting list. I toyed with the idea but I can build an ar for little over 600 and I wouldn't trust a pistol round out to nearly the same distances...it would add a lot of versatility to that XD though

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have one are already but is set up for mostly varmint hunting. That was my main thought is I could build one for close to 6 with all kits out there now. Considering delton. I would love tomo have that h&k USC in 45 but for 1400 I will pass.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
AR or 12 ga.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do you CC / OC? If you do I'd go BOOMtube (pumpaction 18" barrel, tiritium ghost-ring sights & a telly stock ie. Knoxx/M4) with slugs, 00buck and #9birdshot. With some practice you can put a slug in a B-27 silhouette at 100yards. The 00 is for close in work and use the #9 for small game. One of the best travel gun set-ups posable. $600/$800.

B-27 http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/pics/B27(NCJA).gif

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
Really? Hmm...a PCC with a max range of about 150-200m, or a rifle that can reach out and touch someone at 3-500m easy, depending on the user.

I know which one I'd choose...

·
Registered
895 Posts
i'm not against the ar platform but the keltec sub 2000 has great reviews and is a small package perfect for compact shtf. plus with the glock model you can get the 9mm 33round mags. 9mm is a standard common ammo and supposedly the sub2000 ups the muzzle velocity a bit making for a very accurate weapon at 100 yards utilizing a pistol caliber. i want one

·
Registered
38 Posts
My take on the SHTF/Truck gun has always been 2 important additional factors (apart from reliable, accurate, easy to get ammo etc) and they are that I must be able to just throw it in a small pack (day-pack or BoB) and it must be a food gatherer (as well as SD). That puts my selection to carrying 2 (actually 3, but ones a bear gun and location specific!) guns in the truck;

1. Rossi youth matched pair in 22/410. One of the most versatile, compact, cheap and underated food gathering guns out there. Bought one for my kid as his first rifle a couple of years ago. He has move on to other guns and it now lives under my truck seat. It has been used numerous times for opportune small game and has never failed. Breaks down into a 16' bag!

2. A choice that Keltec fills - either a PLR 16 (5.56mm pistol, 18.5" length). Easily goes under truck seat or in a day-pack, Capable of reaching out and touching or taking small game. Less than $400 if you search (CDNN).

OR

3. KT Sub 2000/Sub 9. 9mm or 40, folds to 18" and the 9mm pushes bullets out at 357mag velocities, so would be capable of taking deer-sized game. Only downside is max real useable range is 150yds after that the bullet drops like a brick.

I do carry a hunting/bear rifle in the truck at all times (Marlin 1895 in 45-70), and that is a must have for SHTF where I am (Kodiak, AK). Hence part of my reasoning for all other guns being packable.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I read the comments and they are interesting. However, this is what happened to me in combat in Vietnam. I was in a serious firefight and was on my 8th 30 round mag when my M16 jammed. I cleared it by kicking it open with a combat boot at night.

An AR or M1A makes a lot of seems as a primary weapon. 5.56 or 7.62 NATO are common enough that ammo shouldn't be an issue.

After my well maintained M-16 jammed firing semi auto aimed fire, I acquired a 1911 in ratty condition as a back-up weapon. I never needed it but I felt much better with it.

Along with above mentioned rifles, think about having a very reliable pistol as a back-up weapon. The obvious most common ammo os probably 9mm, 45 ACP, & 40 S&W.

If things get ugly, along with many other less deadly options for you and your family, consider keeping at least 8 magazines handy for the rifle, & 2 for the pistol. Than keep maintenance equipment as a part of your kit.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
AR all the way, solid rifle. Leave the xdm alone as it's a good pistol.
Agreed. Have you considered the Kel-tec PLR16? It is the long range .223 pistol. NICE!!!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Really? Hmm...a PCC with a max range of about 150-200m, or a rifle that can reach out and touch someone at 3-500m easy, depending on the user.

I know which one I'd choose...

But what is the "typical" battle engagement distance? I thought they dropped the caliber from .30-06, .308 to the .223 because the longer range ballistic effectiveness wasn't important.

Not stating a fact, just what my old faulty memory is holding:oops:. (feel free to correct!)

And there are fewer people that can actually hit targets out at 3-500 m than we might expect. At least going by watching them at the public range miss at 100...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
i'm not against the ar platform but the keltec sub 2000 has great reviews and is a small package perfect for compact shtf. plus with the glock model you can get the 9mm 33round mags. 9mm is a standard common ammo and supposedly the sub2000 ups the muzzle velocity a bit making for a very accurate weapon at 100 yards utilizing a pistol caliber. i want one
I have one that uses Glock 17 mags. It's a great gun that folds up to 16" x 4" and weighs only four pounds, empty. The Sub 2000 and magazines fit easily in a back pack, shoots like a dream, and is accurate up to at least 100 yards out of the box.

Combined with my AR, shotgun and handgun, I have a range of options available to me.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I like the idea of the kel-tec but it would be nice to get another AR so that you can have all the same mags and ammo as the one at home. I'm currently building another AR for this purpose. Just a good leave in the truck gun with 2 mags coupled in it and 6ags on the outside. Don't laught but my mother is actually making me a bag to keep it in inside truck. Here is a pic of it in the making. Cost me $40 bucks in material.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
But what is the "typical" battle engagement distance? I thought they dropped the caliber from .30-06, .308 to the .223 because the longer range ballistic effectiveness wasn't important.

Not stating a fact, just what my old faulty memory is holding:oops:. (feel free to correct!)

And there are fewer people that can actually hit targets out at 3-500 m than we might expect. At least going by watching them at the public range miss at 100...:rolleyes:
Engagement distances closed, yes, and you always build the weapons you would have liked to have in the last war you fight.

Then again, look how much folks over in Afghanistan wish they had a longer range, heavier hitting cartridge right now...;)

As for engagment distances...depends entirely where you live, and what type of threat you can realistically expect. Odds are, it'll be a couple of dozen yards, max, and one SHOULD be able to make do with a handgun.

Let's face it...if you have a long gun in your vehicle, and you suddenly have need of it...you're likely screwed. It'll likely be out of reach, cased, and unloaded (depending on your state laws, of course).

Sure, I keep an AR in my vehicle; but I use it on varmints of the 4-legged variety.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
My vote is for a draco ak pistol, if you can find one for sale that is. The 7.62 round also looses less velocity out of the shorter barrel than the .223.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts