Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Am close to getting a new 9mm and the new HK VP9 is on my short list. I just stumbled across the Springfield Armory Gear Up promotion though so started looking at the XD/XDM series because of the promotion. I've never owned a HK or SA pistol, hell, my last pistol I purchased way back was a S&W 4006. I realize I'm going to be getting somewhat biased advice here but thought I'd ask anyway so here goes.

How well do the XD/XDM fit people with medium/small hands?

How durable is the finish coating?

Quirks/Issues with the XD/XDM Series?

How is SA Customer and Warranty Service?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
try them both out at a range... to me vp9 is impossible to beat! XDM is still an amazing firearms

Reactions: Alex35 and RogerB

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hey all

Am close to getting a new 9mm and the new HK VP9 is on my short list. I just stumbled across the Springfield Armory Gear Up promotion though so started looking at the XD/XDM series because of the promotion. I've never owned a HK or SA pistol, hell, my last pistol I purchased way back was a S&W 4006. I realize I'm going to be getting somewhat biased advice here but thought I'd ask anyway so here goes.

I think the Xdm's aren't really suited for people with small hands, medium hands is ok, but stay away from the slightly girthy 45.

The finish is extremely durable, just as any finish on modern quality firearms.

I didn't notice any issues nor have I heard of any issues with the Xdm besides.....what is the m really for? I think 'Marketing'.

Customer service is top notch.

If it were me I would choose the VP9. :cool:

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you have no striker fired autos in your roster then I'd go with the VP9. As others have said, it's hard to beat this new HK offering.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
also.. if you are gonna conceal i would check out the XDMc, XDS, g26,g19, and so on.. if its just a range gun like i stated above... VP9.( unless your like me and dont really care and wanna carry a FS)

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have shown 100's of people the XD.
Overall, it fits them very well.
This varies from a 95 pound woman to 300+ pound male.
It is a hard platform to beat.

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
The adjustable backstraps work well - and the trigger path also works to the guns' favor.

I squeeze skin-tight into size 7 and 1/2 surgical gloves: the "medium/II" backstrap works great for me.

This is my XDm9 4.5-inch coming off a 6-day class (OK, to be absolutely honest, I only shot it 5 out of those days, but that's close to 3,200 rounds in just that span). At that time, it'd seen about 30K rounds, total, over the course of 2 years:

If you're truly looking at the gun as a defensive handgun, be absolutely sure you can operate the gun single-handed, especially with your support/reaction/weak hand. Because of the righty-centric nature of the XD-series' slide-lock/release lever and its grip safety, this can be an issue for some.

Exceptional.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies & advice but I've decided against the HK - just can't see spending $800 plus another $200 to get four extra mags. Was browsing the S&W website and saw they had a M&P9 Pro Series with factory Tritium Nite Sights and a improved trigger pull over the standard M&P. Factory mags (10 rnd) for it can be had for $25 and I can get the gun for $499 shipping included. After tax, SSE, etc, I'll probably have saved enough $ to be able to buy 1000 rounds of ammo to break it in.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks for the replies & advice but I've decided against the HK - just can't see spending $800 plus another $200 to get four extra mags. Was browsing the S&W website and saw they had a M&P9 Pro Series with factory Tritium Nite Sights and a improved trigger pull over the standard M&P. Factory mags (10 rnd) for it can be had for $25 and I can get the gun for $499 shipping included. After tax, SSE, etc, I'll probably have saved enough $ to be able to buy 1000 rounds of ammo to break it in.

Ok, so between the Xdm and Vp9 you decided to get the M&P, got it....

Reactions: Nytcrawler93

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so between the Xdm and Vp9 you decided to get the M&P, got it....
Thats right, didn't even know it existed until I stumbled upon it. I'm familiar with the M&P from shooting my brothers so know what to expect and the Pro is a refinement of the platform, albeit not a major one. I think it's a good value for the price and features compared to the comparable SA models.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
im sorry to hear that.. i live in New Yorkistan so i feel your pain...

EDIT: POST 1,000... thank you everyone who has helped me and made me laugh through the (almost year) of me being here!!!!

Reactions: BassCliff

·
Banned
0 Posts
The HK is nice, but the M&P is a fine pistol and at least it's made in America. I do think it's funny that the op was expecting biased advice and the majority said HK. That's why I love this place.

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fired the VP9 this weekend finally. Found it very comfortable to hold and shoot, great trigger, very low recoil, easy to bring back on target quickly. It's very much like handling and firing my Walther PPQ M1. 40. Great gun, but, didn't find a good enough reason to jump on a new VP9 to replace either my XDS 9mm 4.0 or XDM .40 3.8 Compact. All are reliable, well designed pistols.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the VP9 and just bought a XDM Compact 9 this past weekend. Shot them both yesterday to compare the triggers and feel. The VP9 in my opnion has a better trigger. The XDM has less better recoil...due I am sure to the heavier weight. I like them both and bought the XDM for carry and I am thrilled I have both. You cant go wrong with either and i highly recommend both. I have 8 HK's and the VP9 is my favorite.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts