Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it and is it as strong as the Tennifer finish that Glock uses?

While not a Glock fan, I must admit that the Tennifer finish is one thing they do right. It's seemingly indestructible, or as close to it as I've ever seen. Is the Springfield finish on par with that or not?

·
Registered
23 Posts
What is it and is it as strong as the Tennifer finish that Glock uses?

While not a Glock fan, I must admit that the Tennifer finish is one thing they do right. It's seemingly indestructible, or as close to it as I've ever seen. Is the Springfield finish on par with that or not?

I had a Springfield Rep tell me that the wear on the top of the barrell where it rubs against the slide is normal and unavoidable due to the high precision fit. He was here in Oklahoma City at the Grand Opening of a new gun range last week and that's what he said when I showed him my new (500 rounds) XDm Compact 3.8 9mm already showing wear

·
Registered
931 Posts
I believe the process SA uses is called melonite. It is similar to the Glock finish, but not exactly the same process. IMO, I believe it should be comparable (in durability) to the Glock finish. It can appear to rub off from holster wear and on the hood of the barrel. But, the finish is not just a surface finish, the melonite process actually penetrates down into the metal, so even if the black appearance rubs off the melonite it still embedded into the metal.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I believe the process SA uses is called melonite. It is similar to the Glock finish, but not exactly the same process. IMO, I believe it should be comparable (in durability) to the Glock finish. It can appear to rub off from holster wear and on the hood of the barrel. But, the finish is not just a surface finish, the melonite process actually penetrates down into the metal, so even if the black appearance rubs off the melonite it still embedded into the metal.
I too had a question about the finish. So even if it wears there's nothing to worry about when it comes to rusting?

·
Registered
417 Posts
No worries. The coating is infused into the metal. Outer wear is expected and will not reduce the protection from the elements

·
Registered
665 Posts
The only rust that I experienced with a XD 9 was some rust on the slide stop. I was carrying IWB in Florida. I touched it up to make it look better.

·
Registered
7,537 Posts

These pix were taken at ~30,000 round-count, after a set of classes that ran close to 5 consecutive days of use and 3.5k rounds.

The only places where I get rust are on the body of the front and rear sights, both of which are aftermarket units. No rust (yet) at any of the high points where the black Melonite finish has worn off.

This is gun is my true beater. I bought it in November of 2010 with 300 rounds on the clock - it's somewhere around 40K rounds of live-fire, now (my round count on this gun slowed drastically in the last year-and-a-half, as I've started to focus more and more on my concealed-carry work with a similar "beater" XDm9 3.8 Compact; the majority of the rounds laid on this gun was during its first 2 years with me).

This is a gun that's truly beaten on, put away wet.

I've seen some high-round count Glocks, M&Ps, HKs, 1911s. The XDm's finish holds up just as well as any.

·
Registered
706 Posts

These pix were taken at ~30,000 round-count, after a set of classes that ran close to 5 consecutive days of use and 3.5k rounds.

The only places where I get rust are on the body of the front and rear sights, both of which are aftermarket units. No rust (yet) at any of the high points where the black Melonite finish has worn off.

This is gun is my true beater. I bought it in November of 2010 with 300 rounds on the clock - it's somewhere around 40K rounds of live-fire, now (my round count on this gun slowed drastically in the last year-and-a-half, as I've started to focus more and more on my concealed-carry work with a similar "beater" XDm9 3.8 Compact; the majority of the rounds laid on this gun was during its first 2 years with me).

This is a gun that's truly beaten on, put away wet.

I've seen some high-round count Glocks, M&Ps, HKs, 1911s. The XDm's finish holds up just as well as any.

Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

Definitely eases my mind.

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
^ Thanks. :)

I think the XDms are about as durable/reliable as can be expected. On the line with other students, I often joke that I'm the Bubba with the XD, but in-reality, my XDms have not been observed to be any more (or less) problematic than any Glock, HK, Beretta, M&P, etc.

I've been lucky to have been able to really put my range/training copies to hard use - bordering on abuse - so that I can see what can possibly happen if things really get neglected for a while. Being able to take that lesson and apply it to my EDC has been invaluable.

·
Registered
706 Posts
From the sounds of it youve put in an incredible amount of time and effort. I only hope that, since this is the beginning of my journey (sort of), that I'll be able to do the same.

If ammo prices would come down a couple dollars I'd be even more set! Lol

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
I can't say that it's been easy, but it's been fun, for-sure. :) It's definitely a bit of a drain on time and resources, and yup, ammo is one of the biggest expenditures of this little journey.

I know from your other thread that you're looking forward to a career in law-enforcement, so be sure you remain proficient in the types of firearms that you'll be issued with or otherwise may be required to use. :smile:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh most definitely. At this point, it's still a work in progress though. Between taking care of my little one and wife to the best of my abilities and also trying sponsor myself through the academy, things can get very tight and difficult but it can and will be done. One way or another!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts