Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S-A has that special going that with any purchase you get 3 additional magazines plus a magazine carrier. There are quite a few reports online of how well it points, etc. making it sound like a good carry option. There are just so many to choose from.

I've thought about pocket carry but that means no access when in the car and less access when sitting elsewhere. Taking away the pocket carry option suggests looking past the smaller XDS and smallest XD. That still leaves several options. I'm only considering 9mm. So,

You guys (generic) with an XD(x) which specific variation do you have?

How well and naturally does it point for you?

How much do you carry it? (as in is it your 100% carry gun or what)

How long has it been your carry gun?

Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again would you go with that exact model? If not, which XD(x) model would you go with? If not a different XD(x) model why not?

Thanks for any and all input on this.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I carried an XD45 Compact for 3 years or so in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Very comfortable for me, no printing, and the gun is still very accurate. Ultimately I'm a 20 year 1911 guy but the XD points very naturally. I've never tried the other XD(x) models so I can't offer a comparison.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only one person actually owns an XD of some sort? Wow.

·
Registered
236 Posts
which specific variation do you have?
XDM-9 in 3.8c, 4.5, 5.25 all with PRP Triggers

How well and naturally does it point for you?
Honestly I like it better than my Custom 1911s.

How much do you carry it?
The XDM3.8c is 40% of the time,
M&P Shield 9 is the other 60% of the time.

It used to be the other way around. The Shield for when I needed to deep cover carry.
Now with a severely injured back, it is the other way around. 1lbs vs 2lbs.

How long has it been your carry gun?
The XDMc for about 1 year and the Shield is going on 2.

Knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again would you go with that exact model?
Yes, the only other one I would look at would be a XDMc in 40.
But we are not going to have a caliber debate here. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you install the triggers yourself? Do you think someone with zero gunsmithing experience could do the install properly?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've thought about pocket carry but that means no access when in the car and less access when sitting elsewhere. Taking away the pocket carry option suggests looking past the smaller XDS and smallest XD. That still leaves several options. I'm only considering 9mm. So,

Why do you feel the XDs and XDc is only good for pocket carry?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't consider those as only pocket carry. I consider them the only models possibly suitable for pocket carry. They certainly could ride in a good holster all day long of course. Having needed change for a toll booth I don't consider anything in the pocket being readily available to the degree possibly needed.

Going to belt carry opens up any of the many models to consideration. I don't think I'd go for the 5" XD or 5.25" XDM as they are just too large although the M is appealing for range visits.

I'm leaning toward one of the M's with the 4.5" and the 3.8" compact looking most likely with the 5.25" next and the 3.8" full size least likely.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here is another thread to read Shot my new XDM 3.8 today....

I love M1A4ME comment in the thread, "My wife shot it.....and it promptly became her "little gun."

The PRP trigger kit is available Brownells. >>> Link

If you feel comfortable turning a screw driver or taking things apart in general.....
The drop in PRP trigger kit is a easy installation.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a cool video. It only takes about 3 minutes to see that's more gunsmithing than I'm going to be doing. I'm sure in Houston I can find someone competent to do that for me if/when the time comes. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I carry an XDs in 9mm and have carried it for years. The best way to carry I've found is in a hybrid holster like the Crossbreed, but there are several good brands that make them.

I also carry a Glock G30S, and I've carried and XD9SC. I've also regularly carried a Sig 938 and a Sig P226 and a SW Shield.

There are several good options for carry and a lot comes down to what you like and how you shoot it. I like the XDs because I shoot it exceptionally well, it's thin and comfortable to carry, it doesn't weigh much, and it has never jammed or failed in any way with any ammo.

The Glock G30 is as fat as I ever want to go in a carry gun, but I do love the 11 rounds of 45 and it's a gun I shoot very well and has also never failed to fire in any way through hundreds of rounds.

I have found that if I have a gun that's too large I don't carry it all the time as it's uncomfortable. I've also determined that I don't want manual safeties on self defense guns, so the XDs and the Glock are good choices for me.

But that's MY experience only, others have have different ones. I suggest you find a range that lets you shoot them and see which guns you like. I'd start with an XDs, a G19, a Shield, and see which ones tickle your fancy and you shoot best with. Then buy it and get a good hybrid holster. While I do pocket carry sometimes it's not nearly as good an option as a hybrid and a larger gun.

And a final comment on the triggers, I've done PRP triggers on 3 XDM's and they're great triggers. Excellent for range work. I've also done triggers on several different revolvers, 1911's, and Sig P series guns. BUT, I would not put a PRP 3.5-4.5 lb trigger in a carry gun. My Glock is 7 pounds, my post recall XDs is about the same, both have relatively heavy trigger pulls and very fast resets which is what I want on a carry gun. I know guys who carry Glocks with 2.5 lb triggers and I think they're idiots and will likely shoot themselves in the leg one day. A carry gun is not a range gun and in a life and death situation when you're scared and the heart is racing the last thing you need IMO is a light trigger. Again, just my advice and others will tell you different.

Good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For reference the drop in PRP with duty springs typically will yield ~5lb.

The blue competition springs you can get down to ~4lbs.

The little sear spring can be used to add a 1/4lb.

The biggest thing is the cam and trigger get rid of take up and over travel.

Using both stock and PRP springs you can dial from ~4lb to ~7.5lbs Stock.

I run my carry gun at 5.25lbs and my IDPA guns at 4lbs.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I carry an XDs 3.3 9mm IWB in an Alien Gear holster. I purchased this gun to replace my XDsc for IWB carry as I have a small waist and a double stack was not comfortable to carry even with a good belt and holster. For me pocket carry is totally out unless I would carry an LCP or similar size gun. My XDs will fit but prints very bad.

My other carry gun is an XDsc .40. I now only carry this gun OWB in a Raven Concealment kydex holster although I still have the Alien Gear shell and and couple of other IWB holsters. But since I purchased my XDs my XDsc has not been carried IWB. I would probably buy the 9mm version over the .40 if I had to go back but I like the .40 version and will probably stick with it just because I could find ammo for it when every other common pistol caliber was sold out during the ammo scare.

As for shooting I run a modified Pierce extension on all my flush fit mags for both of of my guns and rubber grip tape. Both of the mods make my guns handle much better, especially my XDsc 40. I chose both of the guns for size and how they fit in my hand. I shot the XDm 3.8 compact but considered that to be to big of a gun for me to carry. Now that I have been carrying for a while I would reconsider that initial opinion and would really consider on in either 9mm or .40 S&W.

As it currently stands I have the two smallest pistols in the XD(x) lines and am very happy with them. In the future I would love to step up to a full size XD or XDm but for right now I will stick with what I have and carry on.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I carry an XDs in 9mm and have carried it for years. The best way to carry I've found is in a hybrid holster like the Crossbreed, but there are several good brands that make them.

I also carry a Glock G30S, and I've carried and XD9SC. I've also regularly carried a Sig 938 and a Sig P226 and a SW Shield.

There are several good options for carry and a lot comes down to what you like and how you shoot it. I like the XDs because I shoot it exceptionally well, it's thin and comfortable to carry, it doesn't weigh much, and it has never jammed or failed in any way with any ammo.

The Glock G30 is as fat as I ever want to go in a carry gun, but I do love the 11 rounds of 45 and it's a gun I shoot very well and has also never failed to fire in any way through hundreds of rounds.

I have found that if I have a gun that's too large I don't carry it all the time as it's uncomfortable. I've also determined that I don't want manual safeties on self defense guns, so the XDs and the Glock are good choices for me.

But that's MY experience only, others have have different ones. I suggest you find a range that lets you shoot them and see which guns you like. I'd start with an XDs, a G19, a Shield, and see which ones tickle your fancy and you shoot best with. Then buy it and get a good hybrid holster. While I do pocket carry sometimes it's not nearly as good an option as a hybrid and a larger gun.

And a final comment on the triggers, I've done PRP triggers on 3 XDM's and they're great triggers. Excellent for range work. I've also done triggers on several different revolvers, 1911's, and Sig P series guns. BUT, I would not put a PRP 3.5-4.5 lb trigger in a carry gun. My Glock is 7 pounds, my post recall XDs is about the same, both have relatively heavy trigger pulls and very fast resets which is what I want on a carry gun. I know guys who carry Glocks with 2.5 lb triggers and I think they're idiots and will likely shoot themselves in the leg one day. A carry gun is not a range gun and in a life and death situation when you're scared and the heart is racing the last thing you need IMO is a light trigger. Again, just my advice and others will tell you different.

Good luck.
Do you mean XD subcompact? I thought XDS 9 has only been out a year?

·
Registered
58 Posts
My job requires me to drive around and make multiple stops all day in all areas of metro Atlanta most because of out clientele not so nice areas.

I had been carrying my XDM .40 4.5" in the center console and then stuffed into my lower cargo pants pocket when I had to get out of the car in very bad areas.

Last Saturday I bought a XDS .45 3.3" and have left it in my lower cargo pants pocket since hen.

The XDM shoots flawlessly for me and I use it got IDPA as well it is very accurate and fits me perfectly it's the best shooter I have.

The XDS is a bit snappy but will perform for what I need it to do as far as protection and knock down abilitys all while fitting in my pocket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been carrying an xds 45 for 2yrs now. I put in a PRP trigger. It shoots very well. I have no concerns as to whether it will protect me. I use the super tuck as well. Very comfortable for driving, baseball games, walking. Loaded with HST. Never a FTF.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I have been carrying an xds 45 for 2yrs now. I put in a PRP trigger. It shoots very well. I have no concerns as to whether it will protect me. I use the super tuck as well. Very comfortable for driving, baseball games, walking. Loaded with HST. Never a FTF.
So the new folks don't get too confused, you put in a PRP trigger spring kit, not a PRP trigger. ;) There is a big difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts