Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to go go a .45 and considering the compact models or the xds.....the question is.....is the 200.00 or so price difference worth going to the xdm and the small round count on the xds much of a factor. I current have a xdsc .40 for my edc but looking for .45 for a new security job I am about to take and just want a .45.

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
My XD45 Tactical works just fine for me.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Are you going to be open carrying or concealing this gun? For open carry I would suggest a double stack full size. A good option would be the XDm 3.8 compact as this gives you the same options that you currently have with you XDsc of going with a compact mag or full size mag. If size it not an issue go with the XD 4inch or XDm 4.5 inch. If you are going to be concealing this gun I would strongly suggest the XDs.

I have both an XDsc 40 and an XDs 3.3 9mm. For IWB concealed carry I have chosen my XDs every time since I started carrying it because of the comfort difference.. For OWB concealed carry it is a toss up. I don't open carry even though I can.

Some of the questions you are asking are personal questions that we can help you on but you will have to decide for yourself. For me I did not like the size of the XDm 3.8 for concealed carry and choose the XDsc for price and size. I have shot the XDm 3.8 compact and really liked it but could not justify the extra cost. As for the low round count on the XDs that could be a serious hindrance to some people. For me since I had already given up round count by going with .40 over 9mm, I choose the 9mm version of the XDs. If you get the XDs also consider carrying a couple spare mags and train on reloading. There are guys that carry 1911 pistols and only have a couple more rounds than the XDs, but they can reload very quickly.

Good luck in your search and until you decide you could even open carry your XDsc with the full size mag in the gun and still have 13 rounds of .40 or conceal carry and still have 10 rounds...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
IMO the XDs doesn't carry enough rounds for what you want it for, go with either the XD or XDm compact in .45. Both are bad ass!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is the issue I am having with the xdm is the price difference from the xd. This will be a open carry side arm due to the security job and possible cc as well for off the clock. I love my xdsc but want 45 that is why i am considering those 3. Is the extra 175 to 200 woth it on the xdm for the slight upgrades it has over the xd series?

·
Registered
931 Posts
it is really a matter of personal preference. if you like the fit and feel of the XDm in your hands vs. the XD, then you got your answer. They both will function about the same, IMO. some people like the adjustable backstraps of the XDm but then with that really deep aggressive grip texture. . .up to you.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
That is the issue I am having with the xdm is the price difference from the xd. This will be a open carry side arm due to the security job and possible cc as well for off the clock. I love my xdsc but want 45 that is why i am considering those 3. Is the extra 175 to 200 woth it on the xdm for the slight upgrades it has over the xd series?

I think this answers your questions. I would suggest the XDm 3.8 compact. 13+1 rounds with the full size mag for open carry, 9+1 rounds for concealed carry. Maybe even the XDs as a BUG... :)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Open carry? The XD or XDM for sure. I've had both, still have the XDM 45 full size though both the XD and XDM are so similiar, it's personal preference. I prefer the looks and trigger of the XDM but thats just me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you are open carrying, I'd go full size. Between XD and XDm, pick the one that feels the best and you shoot the best.

If you go with the XD, put the savings towards an XDs 9. That way you'll have each caliber.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I agree...for open carry get the duty-sized piece. The extra barrel and slide length will help with recoil management, the extra capacity is always a plus if the hoardes attack en masse, and a full sized piece just feels better...more substantial than a compact. The extra weight ought not be an issue if you're packing in an on-duty type holster on a good duty belt. As for carrying off duty or as a back-up...? I'll take an LCP or a Glock 26 or 27. Even a decent .380 from Bersa or Kel-Tec in your pocket is better than nuthin', and won't bust the budget.

I'm sorry, what was the question again? Worth the extra dough for the XDm? Probably not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am looking to go go a .45 and considering the compact models or the xds.....the question is.....is the 200.00 or so price difference worth going to the xdm and the small round count on the xds much of a factor. I current have a xdsc .40 for my edc but looking for .45 for a new security job I am about to take and just want a .45.
I recommend the XDm 3.8 compact .45. It comes with a 9 rd and 13 rd mag. Use the 13 on duty for that full size feel and conceal carry with the 9 rounder.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well being it's a security job it's likely whomever you encounter will know you're most likely armed so you may as well go with as much bang for the buck as you can. My vote is on the XD or XDM, whichever you prefer. Both are proven performers, the M in the compact gives you a little flexibility on concealment but nothing like an XDS would. As nice as the XDS is (fired my friends again yesterday) it just empties too quickly. In a security type position I'm going to bank on the fact you're likely to come up with more demanding circumstances than the average Joe so having a nice double stack could make a difference. Reloading drills would definitely be useful but if it's something you can eliminate completely (assuming we arent going to war here...) by going with a weapon that has double the round count why wouldn't you?

I'm a little biased as I own 2 xdm compacts. Some of your thoughts were the same as I had while deciding on an XDS 9mm as a backup. Obviously cost is a concern but at the same time this is your livelihood and I would get whatever you are the most proficient/comfortable with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I myself have been going back and forth between the XDm45 compact and the XDs45. I really like the round count of the XDm better though.
I was also considering the Glock 30s for that reason as well but I shot the XDm much better.

Well...after typing this, it sounds like I made up my mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What about the XD 45 Compact? I recently bough the XD9 Tactical but came really close to getting the XD45 Compact. I still might get it before years end.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has the 45 XD service model for $460. The XDm 45 3.8" Compact is $560. Really, only $100 difference. I think the XDm is worth the higher price, if only for the versatility of CC option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wasn't there somebody cutting down an XD grip out there to make it faux XDm? Anyway, I went with an XDm for similar reasons. i wanted the best of both worlds-- A duty pistol capacity and conceal package. It's a bit fatter than my old 1911, but definitely more compact.

·
Registered
717 Posts
+1 for XDm 3.8

1 - 17 of 17 Posts