Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the market for a new handgun and I'm split between the Xd and the XDm. What are the pro's and con's of each weapon. It will be used as a CCW, and a general shooter. Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
XDm is a better all around gun but you'll have to pay more for it...both are great guns...the XD can be just as nice or better than a stock XDm with some modest upgrades...all depends on the size of your wallet...

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you saying the XDm is the better gun from the start? That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm going to be getting an XDm then.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
I would recomend going to the range and shooting both guns, see which you shoot more accurately. If you can afford it why not just one of each:grin:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far the only XDm available is the full-size .40 cal. While in the XD series there are compacts and sub-compacts, which might be better options for CCW (tho I plan to carry my XD-9 Service for now).

BUT I guess more XDm's are coming soon, maybe even compact versions...? If I were buying a brand new Service model today I'd probably go w/the XDm.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far the only XDm available is the full-size .40 cal. While in the XD series there are compacts and sub-compacts, which might be better options for CCW (tho I plan to carry my XD-9 Service for now).
You're absolutely correct, the XD(M) is not a concealed carry gun. The biggest advantage with the XD(M) is the higher capacity for range and competitive shooting. With that higher capacity comes a longer wider grip which is not good for concealed carry. Is the XD(M) a better gun than the XD40 for competition? Absolutely but is it a better gun gun than an XD40 Sub Compact for conceal carry? No way, the longer grip and 4.5" barrel makes it far harder to conceal. If you are trying to meet both requirements I would get the XD45 Compact 4".

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi gang,
Its interesting question, I have been pondering basically the same question. At the gun range I belong to the xdm bi tone is about 700,new, while they have a xd 40 cal for 525. I have had my sights on a xdm for awhile now, but geezz the xd is 175 less ??? what to do ???????????
I'm not using it for a carry gun, and I don't shoot competion, I just like guns that shoot well, although I wouldn't mind getting into some kind of competion some day.
It's kinda like my 1911 S&W ss its not a carry gun but a real real joy to shoot,( and brag to your friends about )
I do want another 40. just gotta decide, ahh............. decisions decisions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what to do ????????
take care
Jack

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing about it not being a concealed carry gun is that I currently carry a 5" 1911 so the gun is a little smaller, but also a little bigger at the same time.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the XDM is a new, untested platform. Now it's from Springfield so I'm sure it's a quality firearm, but sometimes 'Match Grade' Barrels translate into tighter fit and less reliable when cycling.

Still, it is an XD and I'm sure it'll go 'boom' when you pull the trigger. It's just that when I was looking for a CCW gun, I wanted something utterly dependable... and the 1911, the XD and the Glock are the only firearms that have gone through torture tests rough enough for me to trust my life to the firearm.

Now, I'm sure that the XDm would pass any such torture tests, but they haven't been done yet and I never buy version1.0 of anything... unless it would be purely a range toy. I'm waiting for the torture tests before I get an XDm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can anyone list the diffs between XD and XDM to back up the claim that "XDM is better"? Like features--what's the difference?

I saw the posts about size diff, capacity, and carry vs. non-carry. But beyond that, what's the difference between XD & XDM?

If you go to SA's website and look at specs, besides the above they look like the same gun. Is that really the only difference, capacity and size?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is my take (and first post). I was wondering the same thing recently when I was in the market for a full size home defence handgun with a light rail. I ended up with the XD45 Tactical and here, summed up in one sentence, is why...

I don't want a match grade barrel for a defence gun.

And here is why that sentence turned me away from an XD(m)...

Match Grade bbls have tight tolerances, wich means that it will take less debris to jam up the weapon. Now does this mean XD(m) pistols are jam-o-matics? NO. What it does mean, to me at least, is that there is a higher probability that it "could". And since I am not shooting for competition accuracy with a dedicated defence gun, accuracy comes in a distant second reliability.

YMMV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts