Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions for you all. I have the xd-9 w/the 16 round mags right now. I've put around 900 rounds through it and it just seems inaccurate. Well it had the roll pin on the top of the slide starting to come out. So I sent it back to Springfield and they replaced the roll pin and did some test firing and they sent me a target that measures to 3.3 inch groupings at 15 yds. At any rate I saw the xdm today at bass pro and asked the "associate" behind the counter if he had gotten any feedback on it and he told me how much more accurate the xdm is over the standard xd. He told me things like..."the barrel is much better than the standard xd......it is factory sighted to be dead on at 25 yds".....I just didn't know what to believe so I figured I'd ask you guys. I love my xd9 and know I am not the best shooter....but I am a firm believer that some guns can make you a better shooter. What is the consensus? I also was impressed by the newer sights the xdm features. Does anyone know where I can get these sights for my xd? Thanks a lot for reading and merry christmas to everyone.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd like to help, but I haven't fired an XDm. My 9mm subcompat XD is very accurate, at least for me...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Have handled a XDm but not shot one. It feels like a different gun to the XD.

I'd say if you want to shoot tight groups at 25yds and you want an XD type weapon either get an XDm or have the standard XD barrel match fitted by SA.

It took me a few mags to get used to the XD when I first shot one. Now it will hit anything I aim at, even point shooting. For my needs the XD is plenty accurate, it's a battle/SD pistol and it's very good at it's job.

FWIW - out of all the XD reviews I have read, no reviewer has complained about accuracy or lack thereof. On the otherhand, many new pistol owners complain that the gun is innacurate only to discover later that user error is the culprit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Factors determining the "accuracy" of a firesarm (IMHO):

1). Capability of the firearm itself. Shoot it from a rest and measure.

2). Capability of the shooter. Many years of experience with many firearms? Ability to shoot tight groups?

3). Fit of the specific firearm to the shooter.

When all three work together you get great results. But ask yourself this question? Do you own this gun to shoot target cometitions or for self defense, or for some other purpose? The gun should fit the use you make of it for you. If that is close encounter self defense, shooting 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards is pointless.

JMHO.

Ken

·
Registered
555 Posts
I haven't shot a XDM yet but my brother expects to have one in about a month so I'll have to wait until then to compare it to my XD but my suggestion would be to shoot your current XD more and possibly get a trigger job.

The gun as it is now is pretty accurate and my assumption is that with some trigger work you should be able to shoot it accuratly much easier.

I wouldn't swear off the XD platform just yet. Just because something newer comes out doesn't mean the "old" platform is obsolete.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have handled a XDm but not shot one. It feels like a different gun to the XD.
+1 (and the entire rest of the post as well).

Originally without any experience I thought I wanted an XDm... but I would have had to wait several months and would still not have it unless I scoured the country and had it shipped.

After buying and shooting my XDs a while I finally got to handle an XDm the other day.

I didn't like it.

This doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it - it's probably a great firearm for a competition shooter. But its available in limited sizes and calibers compared to the XD and feels very different (including heavier) to me.

For general and defensive use I'm much happier with my XDs and glad I chose them.

YMMV

BTW- no disrespect intended but believe nothing from a clerk at Cabela's or BassPro. They don't know squat about firearms and they spout misinformation all day long. Its called 'selling'.

ALL XDs are factory sighted in to shoot point-of-aim at 25 yards. Just read the owners manual. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you been more accurate with other guns you have used in the past? If so, the XD may not fit you quite right. If you are fairly new to shooting, have someone else shoot it with you and see how it does.

VL

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like the xd so much I sold my glocks to go all xd. I have the entire 9mm line. They are all accurate but the M is for me at least the best of all - accuracy, feel, performance etc. I have the entire 9 mm line now I am starting on the 40. Only glock I still have is a 35.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My xd 9 service is very accurate. Matter of fact everyone I've talked to that has a xd says the same. I'm sure the xd m is a great and accurate gun. But in my opinion either you or your particular xd has a problem.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Have utilized HS2K 2ng gen, XD9SC, XDM-9. All work great and accuracy very good within 20yds for all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I do not own a xd 9mm but have the xd 45 and the xdm 9mm and I have to say they are both great but the xdm seems to be better then most. It does have the match barrel and seems to have a little better trigger. I will say being able to fit it to your hand will make most people shoot better. If you have not bought one I would go with the xdm. In time there will be more models, you have to think about it as the gen 3 xd just as glock is on the 3rd generation. I can not wait until the new xdm 45acp is out!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am a fairly new shooter, bought a xd9 Tactical early this year. I would consider myself a shooter that is still learning trigger control and the other basics about handgunning. I usually shoot my xd9 ok when at the range. The other day, my brother in law brought a stainless and black xdm9 home. We went out to his dads and shot. Out of the box, winchester 100rnd value pack ammo, I was shooting 2.5" groups @ 15yds. First group had two in same basic hole, second group had three in the same hole, also it was cold out and was shivering. I have never shot this well with my xd9. The gun felt tighter and balanced a little better. Don't get me wrong, I absolutly love my xd, but it makes me want a xdm9 bad. I will probably be sending mine back into the SA custom shop or Springer Precision to get a trigger job, fit the barrel, and get a slide to frame fitting done. Basically, trying to bring my xd9 up to the level of the xdm9. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I am a fairly new shooter, bought a xd9 Tactical early this year. I would consider myself a shooter that is still learning trigger control and the other basics about handgunning. I usually shoot my xd9 ok when at the range. The other day, my brother in law brought a stainless and black xdm9 home. We went out to his dads and shot. Out of the box, winchester 100rnd value pack ammo, I was shooting 2.5" groups @ 15yds. First group had two in same basic hole, second group had three in the same hole, also it was cold out and was shivering. I have never shot this well with my xd9. The gun felt tighter and balanced a little better. Don't get me wrong, I absolutly love my xd, but it makes me want a xdm9 bad. I will probably be sending mine back into the SA custom shop or Springer Precision to get a trigger job, fit the barrel, and get a slide to frame fitting done. Basically, trying to bring my xd9 up to the level of the xdm9. Just my thoughts.
Welcome, new guy/girl.

Interesting first post.

Sounds like you need to sell your XD and upgrade to the latest and greatest XDm.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Had to break the first post cherry somehow.

Na, I'll be keeping the XD-9, getting an XDm-9 just gives me an excuse to get another one. But, if starting over, I'd spend the extra money for the m upfront.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Had to break the first post cherry somehow.

Na, I'll be keeping the XD-9, getting an XDm-9 just gives me an excuse to get another one. But, if starting over, I'd spend the extra money for the m upfront.
Which XD9 do you have?

The XD is a relentlessly reliable battle weapon. For SD I don't think it can be beat. For shooting targets? Enter Xdm stage left.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an XD-9, a 40, 5 in .45ACP, an XDm-40 and 2 XDm-9's (I've made the progression from Glocks to custom 1911's to XD's)...

I've got 25K+ rounds through the pistols (mostly the .45's), and here's my $0.02...the XDm's have better magazine capacity, grip size adjustments, and a bit better sights (although I've put TFO's on most of them). The XDm trigger MIGHT be a bit better in reset, but not so much better than the XD to make a big difference.

All my XD's and XDm's are as accurate as I am. In my hands 9mm's and .45's are more accurate than .40's, but that's the only difference I see.

Although I own XDm's (for mag capacity), I think you'd be better served sending an XD to Canyon Creek or Springer Precision for an action job (I have one from each). My first-shot accuracy didn't change, but the shorter trigger and smoother action seems to help me on subsequent shots.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts