Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to take the Ohio CCW class and apply for my permit next month. As much as I love my XD-9 I'm looking for something either a bit smaller overall or just thinner for carrying. I'm not planning to trade in my XD, but that's an option, especially in these tougher economic times with tighter household budgets.

One of the guns I almost bought before I decided on my XD was the Ruger SR9. Has anyone here shot or even owned both who can give me a quick comparison of the two guns?

I like the SR9 due to mag capacity, ergonomics and the fact that it has a manual safety (in the absence of a grip safety like our XDs have). I like the SR9's thinner profile and that it still feels comfortable the way a full-size frame pistol should. The SR9 seems to have a great reputation - and it's made in America - but the trigger pull seems kind of heavy IMO, at least right out of the showroom case.

I'll also be happy to take suggestions for other carry guns, a little smaller than an XD Service, preferably in 9mm, and under $750 retail. I'm considering a couple Sigs, too, but would prefer not to spend that much money right now.

I'll say upfront that I'm leaning toward the SR9 (obviously, thus the title of the thread) but I'm keeping an open mind. Thanks in advance, folks!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The SR9 had some early issues that resulted in alot of them being recalled and retrofitted with improved safeties. As I understand if the SR9 you're looking at has a trigger safety, like an XD or glock, it is the 2nd gen/upgraded version. Other than that, I haven't heard anything bad about them. Honestly I haven't hear much about them period. I did hold one and was impressed with its small size vs. high mag capacity, and it's fairly low profile.

You'll probably have some trouble finding a good holster for it, especially if you're planning on carrying, which would be the only real issue I could think with it. On the other hand it's got a great price tag (just a shade over 400 where I'm at).

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I admittedly have not seen an SR9 yet in person, but everything I read gives me the impression that trying to outdo the xD is its raison d'être.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I don't want to carry anything with an external safety.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had also been looking at the SR9 for it's size/shape/ergonomics. Ruger recalled all SR9's and they change out the trigger and replace the original trigger saftey with a glock/xd style trigger saftey that is reported to have less pre/over travel. I have not yet been able to handle a updated version of the gun yet and would advise that you might want to wait untill you can try one before buying.
The recall was to fix a potential problem with the internal firing pin block saftey I think, but while they were at it they decided to adress the crappy trigger. You might find the new one more to your liking (I hope).
Last I heard they were backed up with the recall and I have no idea when updated version might be in stores.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I went 'window shopping' today for a new 9mm. Checked out the SR9 again at a local shop and...well, maybe it's not what I want. I do like that gun, but unless the trigger breaks in nicely it's not for me. The trigger pull, at least dry firing a brand new gun (with the trigger safety/recall performed) feels harsh and very abrupt. Maybe overly crisp is how I should describe it. I just don't like it.

This was weird, too: The gun in the local shop here had the smaller capacity mag in it. Very strange. Maybe the shop accidentally ordered CA-spec models with the lower capacity mags? Whatever, I definitely wouldn't buy one here without getting the high-capacity mags included with it.

Shifting my attention to the Sig P239 right now. Way more than I want to spend on a new gun, so I'll consider a CPO used one, plus a couple other guns I like, including the Kahr CW9. Nice little no-frills design - and affordable, too!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Get an XD .45 compact. Problem solved.

Don't like that idea? Fear the recoil of the big bad .45? (which kicks less than the .40S&W or .357 Sig)

Get the SIG P6 / 225 for about $300 and put your extra money into holsters / mags / etc.

Chapie+

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Get an XD .45 compact. Problem solved.
LOL +1!!!!
The thing you have to remember is that with both Sig and Kahr you loose mag capacity. Single stack mags that hold 7-8 rounds. Since you are moving away from the SR9 I won't go there but I have shot several hundred rounds through one. If you want my impressions I will share them, just ask. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look at the Kel Tec PF-9. I used to cringe like a snob when someone mentioned the name but the independent reviews are actually quite favorable.

There is always a trade off between firepower (i.e. caliber & capacity) vs. comfort & concealment but any gun that you will carry is better than the gun you leave at home because it is too big & heavy.

Another conventional wisdom is to carry two guns which use the same magazines. That would be an XD9sc for you. This would also eliminate the transition from one firing system to another. The late Col. Jeff Cooper is famous for the quote. "Beware of the man with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it".

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Get the SIG P6 / 225 for about $300 and put your extra money into holsters / mags / etc.

Chapie+
If you can live with 8+1, the Sig P6 is the way to go, I absolutely love mine, has become my top daily carry. Centerfire has them for 279 with two mags, an ugly holster and box. Hand select is 10 bucks more. Mine is an 82 model that had less wear on the internals than my XD.

I carry it in a Crossbreed Supertuck and it disappears under just a tshirt.

the 239 is a great gun as well but for what you put into it you can get a P6, send it back to Sig for reconditioning which includes nightsights and still buy ammo with the change

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have read that the ruger sr9 feels very different when dryfired with no mag, I think Ruger says not to do it as it's even bad for the gun....wonder if you tried it with an empty mag or without?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have read that the ruger sr9 feels very different when dryfired with no mag, I think Ruger says not to do it as it's even bad for the gun....wonder if you tried it with an empty mag or without?
Dry fired with empty mag in the pistol. BTW, I always ask if it's OK to dry fire in the store before I do it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If your looking for a less expensive pistol take a good look at the Bersa 9mm line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts