Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to prevent and/or clean the buildup on your slide ports? Im getting sick of scrubbing this damn thing and I dont want to scrub off the Melonite.

Also, how to you protect and/or clean your front sight?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've not had any first hand experience with a ported XD, but on my ported Glocks I was able to just wipe them off. I don't think you're going to scrub off the melonite. The front sight should just wipe off, although you may have to stick a q-tip in to get the dot clean.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not had any first hand experience with a ported XD, but on my ported Glocks I was able to just wipe them off. I don't think you're going to scrub off the melonite. The front sight should just wipe off, although you may have to stick a q-tip in to get the dot clean.
Im not talking about carbon, this looks like copper from the bullet jackets.
the front sight is just carbon, and is a lot easier. im thinking of coating it with clear nail polish so it doesnt stain the white and cleans off easier.

But im still getting significant deposits on the slide itself. theres gotta be some way to prevent this or at least a method of cleaning better than CLP and a .223 brass bore brush. Im going to have to start shooting with my non-holey barrel and thats no fun :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im not talking about carbon, this looks like copper from the bullet jackets.
the front sight is just carbon, and is a lot easier. im thinking of coating it with clear nail polish so it doesnt stain the white and cleans off easier.

But im still getting significant deposits on the slide itself. theres gotta be some way to prevent this or at least a method of cleaning better than CLP and a .223 brass bore brush. Im going to have to start shooting with my non-holey barrel and thats no fun :(
When i clean mine i just run a patch threw them with cleaner on it. A toothbrush comes in handy to. What ammo are you using wolf or something? I never get bad build up on mine and they come clean with little effort.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i used blazer and WWB from wally most of the time. It on the slide, not the barrel, the bbl cleans up easy. the slide cutouts get lots of copper buildup on them. no one else gets buildup? both v10's ive had have the same issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem here with an xd-40 v-10..I just scrape off the copper build up with a utility knife..and i use blazer brass from walmart too. i've tried different types of ammo and same results so i just go with the cheapest that i could get for range practice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have about 500 rounds(all winchester white box) through mine and I havent Have any type of build up. Went Through 200 rounds in about four hours never had any build up. I do Clean it every time I go out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts