Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm missing something, but what is the point of the trigger safety?

The only real reason that I could think of is maybe if the gun were dropped and there was no trigger safety, then maybe, the trigger could swing back with inertia and disengage the other safeties.

Glocks have a similar trigger safety. Has anyone ever been in a situation where they said, "Thank goodness for that little trigger safety! It just saved my bacon!"

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
610 Posts

The only real reason that I could think of is maybe if the gun were dropped and there was no trigger safety, then maybe, the trigger could swing back with inertia and disengage the other safeties.

Glocks have a similar trigger safety. Has anyone ever been in a situation where they said, "Thank goodness for that little trigger safety! It just saved my bacon!"

Am I missing something?
Do you mean the palm safety? Having both trigger and palm(grip) safety was one of the big selling points for me. I dont like the idea of only having a trigger safety. Seems like when holstering the trigger might get hung up on something. Having just 1 safety layer didnt seem like enough to me without a manual safety switch.

I know alot of people will say your finger is the only safety needed and all that. Well accidents happen, I want to add as many layers of safety as I can to prevent accidents. The palm safety is invisible to me anyways I never notice its there so its not hindering the gun at all.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I mean the safety that is on the trigger- it gets deactivated as soon as your finger hits the trigger.

I like the grip safety- the one on the back. The trigger safety is fine too, but I just don't understand what scenario it prevents from happening. Would it be any less safe without the trigger safety?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean the palm safety? Having both trigger and palm(grip) safety was one of the big selling points for me. I dont like the idea of only having a trigger safety. Seems like when holstering the trigger might get hung up on something. Having just 1 safety layer didnt seem like enough to me without a manual safety switch.
It seems kinda ironic that someone with a screenname iwannadie is concerned about safeties.

Just saying... :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
XDs, Glocks, and others are simply designed this way so as to greatly reduce the possibility of anything other than a deliberate trigger squeeze.

It's highly unlikely that both the striker block and grip safeties would simultaneously fail.

Am I missing something?
Just my 0.02 worth...

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
The trigger safety prevents your XD from firing if it is dropped by locking the trigger.

The grip and internal striker block safety all work together to make your XD very "safe".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts