Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading another thread there seems to be a lot of opinions on the best way to take the play out of an XD trigger. Now there seems to be two vendors with a kit to do this. The Springer Precision kit appears to be the simplest to install. Now the big question is do I really need to spend the money on the whole kit or would just switching the sear take the slop out of the trigger?

This is my wifes pistol which she really likes except for the trigger. After shooting it last week she told me to sell it if I can not make the trigger better. I am not looking for a 1911 trigger pull. I do not think that is realistic. She has been shooting a HK USP and is satisfied with that trigger if anyone can compare the two with a kit installed. The pistol is an XD 40 Tactical if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Powder River and Springer kits are both easy to install. If you want the "slop" taken out as much as possible you will need the Springer sear and trigger bar, or the Powder River safety leaver and overtravel stop. It's worth getting the 2 parts, you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I installed the Springer kit on my XD 40 Tactical a month ago and still can't quite believe the difference. The "slop" is gone, I have a very predictable trigger pull and my groups have never been better.

I should have done this a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
After reading another thread there seems to be a lot of opinions on the best way to take the play out of an XD trigger. Now there seems to be two vendors with a kit to do this. The Springer Precision kit appears to be the simplest to install. Now the big question is do I really need to spend the money on the whole kit or would just switching the sear take the slop out of the trigger?

This is my wifes pistol which she really likes except for the trigger. After shooting it last week she told me to sell it if I can not make the trigger better. I am not looking for a 1911 trigger pull. I do not think that is realistic. She has been shooting a HK USP and is satisfied with that trigger if anyone can compare the two with a kit installed. The pistol is an XD 40 Tactical if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance
I have never, in my knowledge disagreed with Agalindo. So this will be a first. I prefer the PRP kit. I, as has Agalindo, have done both. Springer's, according to Scott Springer, isn't designed to reduce your pretravel and overtravel. The PRP kit is, and, IMHO does, and does it best.

All that being said, both are very good improvements to the stock trigger.

I think you'll find replacing your trigger yourself to be both educational and gratifying. Best of luck! There are plenty of posts showing how to do either.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I did the PR lever on my XD45C.
I had the stock trigger bar drilled and tapped, it was before he made the over-travel stop.
I couldn't believe the change.
Improved the trigger 110%..
I would highly recommend it.
Very easy install.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/latest...r-precision-safety-lever-overtravel-stop.html

I've never used any Springer products.
But I've emailed him and he has always responded promptly and professionally..

And welcome to the forum tbtrout............

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies, I think I will have to buy another XD so I can install each kit and compare:mrgreen:. They both seem like good products. Now I have to decide. Thanks again and Happy New Year

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Springer's, according to Scott Springer, isn't designed to reduce your pretravel and overtravel.
???

Of course our kit was designed to to reduce pre and post travel.

Our kit was done to do more than just reduce travel, it was also made as a upgrade to the stock parts that we see fail and for gunsmiths to have a steel sear to work with.

I'm not sure where you get your info or what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
???

Of course our kit was designed to to reduce pre and post travel.

Our kit was done to do more than just reduce travel, it was also made as a upgrade to the stock parts that we see fail and for gunsmiths to have a steel sear to work with.

I'm not sure where you get your info or what you are doing.
Okay, Scott, I wont' repeat your words back to you since you obviously didn't mean what I thought I read that you wrote.

Folks they're both good. That's a fact. I prefer PRP due to reduction in pre and over travel that I experienced.

Either way, you won't be sorry. But I have a preference...blondes, boxers and PRP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After some more reading I think I am going with the Springer kit. I like the idea of upgrading and replacing operating parts vs adding an extra part. I am pretty sure anything would be an improvement. I hope this is the best choice.

I really like the gun and do not want to get rid of it but I do not like the trigger much. If this works and she still does not like it, I can keep it and she can still get a P30.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not having tried a PR kit, I was unable to give a comparative opinion. Since you have chosen the Springer, I will tell you that it is a fine option!

If this is your first trigger job attempt:

Read up on the install process (several good threads here) and take your time. Remove only small amounts of metal at a time. You will probably be R&R'ing the trigger so many times that you will become quite adept at it. Since your main concern is removing take-up and overtravel, you might choose to leave the stock springs in for now (assuming you choose a kit with springs). That will prevent any possible spring-induced problems and simplify diagnostics of functional issues which may occur.

Although I was happy with my trigger install, I was curious to see how it might compare to the work of an expert. So, when I sent my XD to Springer to have other work done, I replaced the stock parts (striker too) and had Mr. Springer do a trigger job as well. I am unable find any difference between the two Springer kit installs, though, it takes a few minutes to replace the components, so I cannot perform a direct side by side comparison. My point is that this kit allows you to significantly improve your trigger; possibly as good as it can get. You will be pleased. - Sheff

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I just installed my Powder River Trigger Kit on my XD 357sig Service model to include their trigger bar stop, safety lever, sear spring and trigger spring.

I was able to install every component and make adjustments to the trigger bar stop in 30 minutes.

Once the pistol was completely reassembled, I checked the trigger pull at 3.5 pounds and had only 1/8 inch overtravel. I didn't measure reset.

Works great and very easy to install. I hope you enjoy your Springer Kit as much as I like the Powder River Kit I choose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put in my SP trigger kit today. All I can say is if this pistol shoots as good as it dry fires I will be very happy. Huge difference in control. I have 0 overtravel and a verry short reset. A little take up with no slop. And a super clean, don't even know the striker will release, break. I only hope my wife likes it. Now I have to wait for my double ear, sinus, upper resperitory infection to go away.

It was not hard to install at all. I was surprised at how simple a design the XD is. The parts appear very well made. A noticable difference over the stock parts. Definately worth the money. Pending live fire of course. But I have no doubt all will work well

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thank you for the replies, I think I will have to buy another XD so I can install each kit and compare:mrgreen:. They both seem like good products. Now I have to decide. Thanks again and Happy New Year
I have an Xtech sear and PRP easy fit overtravel stop. After I bought my 2nd XD I realized what a difference it made!
-Thomas

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I've heard about Bob's Custom XD Sear before. Never used one. I see he makes the sear and lever into one piece. Interesting. I have wondered why Springfield separates the sear and lever.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Beat me to it Scott. I was just starting to type.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
They are separate because of the way the drop safety works. Making them one piece disables the drop safety function. SA considers this an unsafe modification, and it has been covered here several times.
That makes sense and is a very good point. I had wondered why there were separated.

I haven't seen any discussions about Bob's since I started posting here last year. I just knew/remembered there was a dark cloud associated.

Further extrapolation of your point (besides the pistol being less safe) brings us to the fact that Bob's sears are not IDPA legal because they disable one of the manufacturer's safeties.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How hard was it to install? Can that be done by a DIYer?
I'm pretty handy with tools but have never messed with a gun trigger
before.
It was very simple. The XD comes apart very easily and is a simple design. The sear and spring go in easy. The trigger bar is simple. Just be sure you file off a little at a time and keep fitting it. This requires quite a few re/dissassemblies, but it is a simple process and well worth taking your time on. A little filing goes a long way.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts