Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, been a while since I started a thread. I had a chance to sneak to the range this week and put some lead downrange. I like shooting all of the ammo I use for carry (currently 135 grain Federal HS Hollow points), some range ammo, then picking up some fresh carry ammo on the way out. It Feels good when you pull out your carry gun, fire off your carry ammo, and it all goes down range perfectly (even after being on your hip for 2+ months).
8)

I practiced aiming and pulling the trigger as slowly as possible and that really helped me put it in the center, it was at least 3" groups at about 7-10 yards, when I pulled the trigger painfully slow. When I tried to do "double taps" I could only manage about 4"-6" groups at the same distance. I guess the "reseting aim" hand/arm/eye controls just come with much more practice.

I was wondering if my grip was shifting at all. The slip on grip that Pistolgear has looks good, I just wish it was a little more "seamless". I think I could be a little quicker to aim if my hand was around the molded finger grips. Anyone else have that experience or feel that way?

BTW. Shooting a service bi-tone 40cal, about 450 rounds through it so far, and it is my first handgun.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For defensive purposes, double taps spread out 4" - 6" within center mass are fine. Actually, a lot of the defensive experts recommend spreading your double taps out, as this causes two seperate wounds in a BG's torso. Chances of doing damage to multiple organs are more likely.

That said, double taps don't have to be BANGBANG. It should be SIGHT PICTURE-BANG SIGHT PICTURE-BANG. With practice, that's pretty quick and accurate. Also, the longer the range, the slower the double tap. Basically, double taps should be two very rapid but aimed shots.

When I first got my XD, I put Hogue grips on it. After about a month, I took them off. The grip tended to slide around during daily CC and, even though a cut a notch to for the grip safety, it engaged the safety on a couple occasions. I tend to grip the XD very tight (just this side of my hand shaking.) That made a huge difference in accuracy and control (though I never felt like I had to crush my Beretta's grips... wierd.)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Goood Points by Baa.

No need to try and group your double taps in the same whole, you want to spread the hits over the torso.

2 to the torso followed by a quick 2 to the pelvis to bring the attacker down.

·
Registered
454 Posts
As long as your dbl taps stay on the body you are good to go, you just don't want them flying over a shoulder or something. baa is right about the speed as well, control is much more important than speed. My .02$.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the pac slip-ons on pistol gear are great I have them on my xd-40 and I've not had a prob with it yet. No trimming at all by the grip safety like the hogue grip. I have 1500 rounds thru the gun with the grip on and no slipping what so ever. And for $10 you can go wrong not to mention that pistol gear has the item at your door in 2 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts