Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G&A Handgun mag did a 20,000 thousand round toture test. They did the Glock USA 1,000 round torture test after they fired 17,000 rounds through the XD 9mm first. At 7,000 rds they dropped it on concrete loaded and threw it off a 100 foot cliff. At 10,000 rds the cocking indicator broke off. There was no change in function. They froze the XD 9 for a week, thawed it, fired 150 rds 0 malfunctions. They buried it and covered it in all kinds of different dirt fired 500 rds 0 malfunctions. Sand did slow the slide down a little but no malfunctions or stoppage. They caked it in nasty gritty mud, fired 100 rds, 0 malfunctions. They submerged it in water 10 separate times firing 10 rds after each, 0 malfunctions. They chemically degreased the XD 9 and fired 150 rds, 0 malfunctions. Shooting champion Mike Dalton parked his truck on the XD 9 and then drove over it several times, fired 150 rds, 0 malfunctions. fired the remaining 1,400 rds after all that, 0 malfunctions.

source: Guns & Ammo Handguns June/July 2005 Vol. 19 number 3

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im totally new here and not sure when someone has already discussed something. I came across my XD40 by accident because the company I work for only alows certain weapons which basically left me with the choice of
a Glock or the relatively new XD. I dont like the grip size of the Glock or the recoil on the 23 (which was what i was looking at at the time). So I went with the XD not knowing it was about to hit the bigtime. I hope it knocks Glock out of its spot.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome! I think its fair to say that its already hit. Its been getting incredible accolades from almost all the big gun publications as well as awarded by NRA. I think that more than anything else, the brand loyalty that many gun owners tend to have is what is keeping the large number of Glock fans in that camp and questioning the xd.

What line of work are you in that you get to sport an xd?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work for an armored truck company. Before I got hired I was carrying a Sig P229 but the company decided for some reason they did not want anything with external safety on it so i sold it and got the XD. All the guys carry either a .357 revolver a glock or XD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cloud8a said:
I work for an armored truck company. Before I got hired I was carrying a Sig P229 but the company decided for some reason they did not want anything with external safety on it so i sold it and got the XD. All the guys carry either a .357 revolver a glock or XD.
Where is the external safety on a Sig P229?

Jeff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 229 does not have an external safety that I know of but it does have a decocker which is against the policy as well as a safety. So it is either or or both are not allowed. It makes no sense to me but thats what they want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thats sad that they disallow the p229. the decocker hardly classifies as a safety, at worst would push the gun back to firing double action as opposed to a lighter trigger on single action. sigs are fine pistols, i own a p220 in .45 and love mine. either way you've got a fine piece of machinery in the xd!

·
Registered
245 Posts
RockinAR said:
My XD can't even pass the "shoot some ammo with out jamming" test.
Mine did the same, and was getting worse, until I sent it back to SA for a check. Since getting it back from SA, my XD40 has never jammed again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good stuff. Glad to hear it held up. After putting about 500 rounds through my XD-9 I had only one jam. Could have been the ammo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gents (Ladies?),
First off, greetings as this is my first post. At the risk of portraying myself SME in firearms, allow me to spout off my brief experience with SA-XD's. In my case, I am a...somewhat satisfied owner of a 9mm Service XD. I was initially sold on Glocks ergonomics roughly 5 years ago, but was recently turned to the XD series. After much research I purchased the above...after my initial 100 rds I was satisfied by out of the box performance. Trigger assy IMO is outstanding since I have had the Marine Corps shove the Beretta down my throat for years. On the other hand, I like and think the 1911's we are issued on the DAP are on par with an afternoon quickie.

Unfortunately.............after the conclusion of firing only 100 rds without any sort of stoppage I proceded to dis & ass for cleaning and inspection. No big deal. Until my slide become stuck and would not budge at all... this pistol was NIB and 3 days old. Before any stones head my way, allow me to articulate. By no means am I a armorer or gunsmith, but I have enough G2 to dis & ass MK-19's, .50 cals, Barretts, as well as a pistol and perform an applicable function check. The gunsmith from where it was purchased tapped on it with no luck and was puzzled, and simply sent it back to SA.

I am awaiting to find out what the exact reason determined by SA, but has anyone experienced or know of someone who has had the same or similar issue?

I'll still stand by my XD...with a bit of hesitation until I satisfy myself, but if that wasn't a kick in the nuts it sure as hell nicked them quite well.

While i'm here (I know there's separate forum), can anyone provide feedback on the internal laser offered by Lasermax? I'm not a huge fan of lasers as I am quite comfortable without them, but how is the reliability and install? Anyone have an electronic copy of the manual or install? A PM may be more inline. TY and see ya' around

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Welcome aboard. A lot of friendly, helpful people around these parts.

A few others have had the problem you describe although fairly rare. There is a thread here somewhere about how to fix that. Usually a good strong bump to the back of the slide will take care of it. Do a search, ajamesp51 can help you if you can't find the post.
Glad you're here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was quick, TY. I initially tried that with a mallet (rapped on it wit some eventual force) same as the smith. I stumbled across a thread discussing their issues, only thing is that my guide rod assy was installed correctly so I'm still at a loss. But, I'll keep lookin' and again thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My XD 45 service had that problem. I think the recoil spring and the barrel were a little out of alignment when I slid the slide onto the frame. Had to send to SA. Since them I check the alignment of those parts when reassembling. I have about 6000 rounds through it and never had it happen again.
I have over 14,000 rounds through an XD-9 service and never had a malfunction of any kind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts