Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if there is a thread on this already. At my local shop they have a like new xd 5" tac. but it has the short and long mag with sleeves. I did not know they offered a tactical like this ?...any input would be great. Also I can get it for 450. Buy it? don't buy it?...Thanks again

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
GET IT.

I wish I had that frame.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Compact only refers to the grip length.

Tactical only refers to the 5" barrel length.
Service only refers to the 4" barrel length.

Subcompact has both a shorter grip and a shorter 3" barrel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get it! Then get a 4" Service with full grip. Swapping slides and frames you have 4 gun variations.

Compact with 4" barrel, great for carry.
Full grip with 5" barrel, great for hunting, target shooting.

Full grip with 4" barrel, great for duty.
Compact with 5" barrel, great for carry, hunting, duty, target shooting, etc.
I did this and am having a great time shooting all. My son and I can shoot at the same time and we both enjoy the variety.

Dave

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It's only in 45ACP and was originally called the "Compact Tactical" I have one and it's awesome. Now it's called the "Five inch Compact" and that differentiates it from the "Four Inch Compact" which I also have and is great as well.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
My apologies if there is a thread on this already. At my local shop they have a like new xd 5" tac. but it has the short and long mag with sleeves. I did not know they offered a tactical like this ?...any input would be great. Also I can get it for 450. Buy it? don't buy it?...Thanks again
That's a decent price... GO FOR IT! :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what is the difference. Of the compact tactical and the 5" compact......the names lol?

No differences in trigger or anything like that I assume

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
So what is the difference. Of the compact tactical and the 5" compact......the names lol?

The 5" is the Tactical. Compact Tactical models have a 5" barrel and compact grip.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
The 5" is the Tactical. Compact Tactical models have a 5" barrel and compact grip.
Yup, but both the compact tactical and full size tactical both say tactical on the slide

The only differance is the length of grips

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

Yup, exactly the same, five inch barrel, short ten rnd mag grip. Adding the full size thirteen rnd mag and it's sleeve gives it all the same dimensions as the regular five inch full size Tactical.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also never knew they made that model. I knew they had a 5" compact. But I went to a gun show and seen a Tactical compact. Wish I would have got that insted of my full sized tac. But Im gonna get the 4" compact and change the slides when I feel like it. But yeah I would get the Tactical compact if i were you.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I also never knew they made that model. I knew they had a 5" compact. But I went to a gun show and seen a Tactical compact. Wish I would have got that insted of my full sized tac. But Im gonna get the 4" compact and change the slides when I feel like it. But yeah I would get the Tactical compact if i were you.
I'm confused...that model IS the 5" tactical compact

·
Registered
103 Posts
A compact 45 with a five inch barrel is kind of an oxymoron ?
They should have named it the "Short Grip Tactical or Adjustable Tactical"
The one they have in the catalog with the Dark Earth frame and Melonite slide is nice though. Springfield in it's XD line does have some weird configurations. Like the XD 40 and 357, they only hold 12 shots while the 45 holds 13 ? You would think it would be the other way around. I wish they would make an XDM 357 with 16 rounds like the 40 ? However funny the configurations I do love them so. I'd take an XD sub-compact 9mm over a Glock sub-compact anyday !

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
A compact 45 with a five inch barrel is kind of an oxymoron ?
They should have named it the "Short Grip Tactical or Adjustable Tactical"
The one they have in the catalog with the Dark Earth frame and Melonite slide is nice though. Springfield in it's XD line does have some weird configurations. Like the XD 40 and 357, they only hold 12 shots while the 45 holds 13 ? You would think it would be the other way around. I wish they would make an XDM 357 with 16 rounds like the 40 ? However funny the configurations I do love them so. I'd take an XD sub-compact 9mm over a Glock sub-compact anyday !
Don't the 45's have wider frames? That would make a big difference in the stacking and would explain the capacity difference. The XDm's have redesigned magazines to better maximize capacity.

If you want a .357 Sig XDm buy a conversion barrel if they make one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts