Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in a post a week or two ago that I was running my tactical till it failed to feed before I cleaned it. I really wanted to know what it would take to get a failure from the gun. At our local IPSC match last week Bobert saw the first non-intentional and non user induced failure. The gun finally decided after roughly 1100 rounds w/o even lubing the slide that it would fail to feed properly. Jammed up so hard, I had to perform an extended malfunction drill to eject the now kinked round from the feed ramp/magazine area. After 2 slap racks didn't clear it, I dropped the magazine and the round still didn't want to come out. I am glad I have been practicing malfunction clearing or my stage time would have been completely obscene as opposed to the merely disgusting time it was. I must admit, it has shown itself to be a capable gun devouring greek surplus, UMC, WWB, Hydra Shok, Lawman, Blazer both aluminum and brass, and Wolf ammo w/o a hitch even w/o cleaning.

I have taken the gun from being left outside all day in sub freezing temps straight in to the range and it cycled 50 rds w/o a hitch and even held a nice 5" combat group at 45 ft. I have set it on a register vent at a friends house w/ the heat on and taken it out to shoot in the cold and it cycled just as well. The only test I really am not prepared to do is the HK dirt test where they bury it in dust/sand for a couple hrs letting it cling to all the oily bits then dig it out of the sand, stick a magazine in it and empty the magazine as fast as you can.

At this point, I think if my HK was down, I would have no qualms whatsoever about strapping this on as my carry gun.

Fwiw, it took me about 3 hrs to detail clean and get all the copper/brass fouling out of the weapon along w/ all the powder soot from all the different cheap ammo I've run through it.

Oh, and this whole time, no rust on the slide even when I've been carrying it in bad weather back and forth to the range and a few other places. The most I have done is wipe it off w/ a dry rag when I got home.

·
Registered
725 Posts
thanks for the info!
results are very very promising towards this gun getting more professional contracts

unscientific? honestly the only difference between ur tests and a tax payer funded one is they record a whole bunch of crap on paper and charge $4 per bullet :)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, I need to figure out how to charge for doing this stuff then. :)

·
Registered
688 Posts
It's a shame your evaluation didn't continue last night. Due to your absence SOME people were not properly motivated to do their best. SHAME - SHAME

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Bob, had a prior engagement w/ a lovely young lady I am trying to get interested in shooting. Eval is over anyway. I cleaned the gun. Now I'd definitely end up opening up a can o whoopass on ya. :) Cleaned and slicked down that slide is gonna cycle quick enough to catch up to my trigger finger. :) Now if only my sight picture would.

So, did anyone continue production in w/ the toothpick factory we seem to have started on Tuesday/Sunday nights?

·
Registered
813 Posts
bet if you eliminated the Wolf ammo from that list it would have fired for another 1100 rounds before any problems :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts