Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent an email to Springfield Armory asking about the service life and replacement of the recoil springs on the XD tactical. This is what I got back.

The recoil springs for tactical XD's should never need replaced. The
recoil spring never gets fully compressed so it should last forever.
The 3" and 4" XD's have a dual spring recoil system. The 5" has a single
spring only.
I don't think Wolff has a spring for the 5" yet.

Thank you for your interest in our Springfield Inc. products.
Anyone have any comments? I am not sure that the statement above is true. If anyone has any suggestions on springs,let me know.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Well who ever wrote that did not know what he was talking about since any govt model 1911 spring will work in the tactical xd. Wolff wont need to make an xd specific spring. If thats true ask them how often Rob LEatham replaces his recoil springs. Nothing lasts forever and over time cycling the spring will loose tension.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
James is correct, any spring eventually will "wear out", whether fully or partially compressed. Some recommend that 1911 springs, when used in 1911s, be replaced every 1000 rounds. My experience is that they generally last quite a bit longer than that. Heck, just replace it when it seems necessary. Necessary is when the cases begin ejecting significantly further that when the spring was new. Depending on your load, cases generally should eject 6-8 feet from the shooting point.
Oh, and yes, 1911 springs (full size for a 5 inch gun) fit the Tactical model just fine.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I thought. Obviously Theresa at Springfield needs to have more training. Any idea on what pound springs I need to order and how long they last?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 9mm Tactical and I replaced the stock spring with a 22# one. I think that this actually made the pistol feel tighter and perhaps nicer to shoot quick shots. I have had zero malfunctions with the new spring....I also had none with the stock spring. I found that, for me, the stock spring always felt on the weak side. With the 22# one, racking the slide is much more solid.

I would recommend a spring upgrade. Perhaps a slightly lower poundage if you find the current spring hard to work already.

Auto

·
Registered
200 Posts
James is 100% correct. but i use a captive spring rod system in my tactical 9MM. Its practical for me and fits my comfort level. (Personal choice.) These captive rods for the Tactical XD,s will soon be available from EFK.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I will try out the 1911 5" springs. I have a few of them left over from when I owned my last 1911 (I always buy springs and then end up with stuff I can't use when I get rid of the gun). Most are in the standard #18 range, will try them out and see how they work. I think the stock XD-9 tactical springs that Springfield ships them with are a bit lighter. I think I will also sacrifice one of Don's washers to protect the slide from the sharp open end of the spring. Will see how it works out, right now will use up the stock spring first.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had resent my inquiry to Springfield for recoil spring specs on the XD-9 Tactical. I asked to have someone who knew something about guns to handle it, and if necessary for them to ask Rob Leatham what he uses. Today I got my reply. Springfield advises that the recoil springs be replaced with standard 1911 5" springs with #19 force rating. No replacement schedule was mentioned. Just thought you would want to hear the official line form Springfield.

·
Registered
146 Posts
According to Don's Guide Rod FAQ the prefered spring for the tactical model is the 24# spring. Is this inline with people's experiences here on the site as well?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Recoil springs do NOT last a lifetime.

ISMI or Sprinco springs will run up to 8000 rounds before changing out.

As far as spring weight, I use a 14LB spring. My loads are about a 150 PF and this is tuned to my gun perfectly.

I've never really understood the heavier spring thing. It just jams your slide forward harder and causes you to 'dip' your muzzle downward on the 2nd shot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mavisky said:
According to Don's Guide Rod FAQ the prefered spring for the tactical model is the 24# spring. Is this inline with people's experiences here on the site as well?
That is what I use, and have had no problems even when using Wolf, which can be a very mild load.

·
Registered
95 Posts
mavisky said:
I just put a #24 lb spring in my .40 tactical and it does make a "muzzle flip" difference.

And it's not that much harder to pull back than the stock spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Run a spring that doesn't allow frame battering by the slide. Too strong a spring just fouls up the second shot with muzzle dive. I'm changing my "5 40cal to 18lbs with reduced load 180gr @ 750fps for competition.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mavisky said:
I have had a Wolff 1911 24 lb. recoil spring in my XD-40 Tactical since Day One. My mild handloads (155 gr. TCJ-FP, 5.6 gr. Universal, 1.140" OAL) cycle the slide reliably, with brass falling about five feet away.

The Tactical is currently at a little over 17,000 rounds, and the recoil spring does not seem to have lost any of its strength. Just to be on the safe side, I shall probably replace it with a new 24 lb. spring soon.

DL

·
Registered
242 Posts
If your looking for a spring for reduced loads this what I have found. If you want the gun 100% XD Tac .40 18# fixed rate spring, For the 9 Tac 16# fixed rate spring.
Tacticals will run with lighter weight springs but not at 100% reliability. Now if you have lightened the slide it's a whole new story. Just for the record I consider any load with a power factor of 145 or less is a reduced load. This is what I have found with my testing. Others may have come up with different results.
Later,
Rich

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Power factors are crock used only for "gaming" a competition. It is not a real measure of the energies. If they want to really use real data they should go with straight E=1/2mv^2.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Really power factor is just momentum. Power Factor is mass (grains) times velocity divided by 1000 (the 1000 if simply for scaling convenience), momentum is simply mass time velocity.

Momentum is more important than kinetic energy when doing calculation regarding recoil and cycle operation of recoil operated weapons. The laws of physics say a weapons recoil has to have the same momentum as the departing projectile not the same kinetic energy. Conservation of momentum must never be violated, conservation of energy is rarely the case. Momentum is overlook by many people when talking about weapons. This conservation of momentum between the projectile and weapon if far more important to the operation of a blow back operated semi-auto weapon then the kinetic energy of the projectile.

mcb

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
manygunner said:
Power factors are crock used only for "gaming" a competition. It is not a real measure of the energies. If they want to really use real data they should go with straight E=1/2mv^2.

Well, I wouldn't call them a crock......In USPSA 'major' is 165,000 PF. This is essentially .45 ACP 'harball' velocity. A smidgin slower....

Power factors are not translatable to "stopping power"

However, i can develop a 175 PF load in many varieties for my .45 and each will have different recoil, impulse, and Point of aim.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mcb said:
Really power factor is just momentum. Power Factor is mass (grains) times velocity divided by 1000 (the 1000 if simply for scaling convenience), momentum is simply mass time velocity.

Momentum is more important than kinetic energy when doing calculation regarding recoil and cycle operation of recoil operated weapons. The laws of physics say a weapons recoil has to have the same momentum as the departing projectile not the same kinetic energy. Conservation of momentum must never be violated, conservation of energy is rarely the case. Momentum is overlook by many people when talking about weapons. This conservation of momentum between the projectile and weapon if far more important to the operation of a blow back operated semi-auto weapon then the kinetic energy of the projectile.

mcb
Are you saying the conservation of energy is violated? And if both object have the same momentum, would they not have same energies? Sorry if I sound dumb right now. I am tired and been working on a leaking dishwasher feed line. Why do all plumbing emergencies happen after midnight? Anyway, I am going off to bed, will think on this in the morning if I have time. I agree momentum has to be conserved but in a closed system so does energy. We are speaking ideal cases here of course. Anyway , I am off for soem down time. Nite nite

1 - 20 of 22 Posts