Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am having some issues with my XD Tactical .45 jamming and stove piping with reloads. I am loading a 200 gr SWC with 5.5 grs W231. If I only put 8
rounds in the mag it seems to run fine, but if I load 13 rounds it will stovepipe and the next round in the mag will be vertical nose down. Sometimes it will just not extract the case and the slide will partially rechamber the empty case. However it doesn't do this consistently.
Has anyone had simular issues with reloaded ammo?

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have read several other forums that for some reason XD don't like to eat the SWC. try a different type and see if you still have the problem.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
What brand SWC are you using and what is the over all length of your finished rounds. They just might be too long to cycle.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
XD chambers are tight, and lead is usually slightly oversized.
You can make it work if you have experience loading lead for auto-loaders.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You might want to even forget the flat point. XDs can run forever on round nose bullets of apparently any kind but some who have far more knowledge and experience than I have said even FMJ with flattened points are not altogether trustworthy. I haven't ever tried them myself.
Do a search in both 45 and the ammo can for bullet design. There are some people on this site who know lots about this subject. Some are long-time reloaders who have fed thousands of 45s of all kinds through these guns. Very helpful people too.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same problem with my XD it hates the SWC bullet.I load the 200 gr for my Colt and my CZ no problems.I am using a RN or TC bullet for my XD now.
roc1

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also found that both my XD's don't love swc's; but they love these Missouri Bullet Company= bullets. My 1911 likes the swc's that my XD will not eat so Im not out anything.

But really the missouri bullets staff are great people to deal with and their products top notch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bought 2000 of the 200gr RNFP from Missouri Bullet Co...but haven't had a chance to crank up the Dillion yet...but will give a report as soon as I do.. What OAL are you reloading?

·
Registered
567 Posts
All my 45s love any RNFP 200 grain lead cast bullet. That includes the XD45 Service I just sold while I wait around to get another service with thumb safety and NS. Hope I'm not asking too much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Someone gave me two boxes of 200 grain SWC reloads awhile back...old guy had loaded them for Bullseye competion. My 5" ran them like a top with only one failure to eject and these were light loads, they barely cycled the slide but it ran anyway. Very happy.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Yes, I can confirm that HARD lead bullets with the proper shape (round nose or rounded flat nose) will work great in an XD. Those two rings at the base of the bullet are full of a waxy bullet lube which will cause fouling and smoking (that is normal). They won't fire as cleanly as plated bullets.

In my area, no indoor range will allow you to shoot lead-exposed bullets anymore so I shifted to Montana Gold brand (excellent).

Price wise:
Missouri $34/500 = 6.8 cents each
Montana Gold plated = $137/1000 = 13.7 cents each
or $286/2300 = 12.4 cents each

So, a big cost savings if you can shoot lead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay guys, New Guy here to the forums and to the XD. I run 230 gr bullets in all my other .45's but notice you all talk of running the lighter 200's here. Is their a reason you are running the lighter weights in the XD or is it more the cost factor? Appreciate your comments. T

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I run 200 grain bullets because they are a bit cheaper and I don't load to the 'max'.

Other people do it because they are trying to be more like me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I run 200 grain bullets because they are a bit cheaper and I don't load to the 'max'.

Other people do it because they are trying to be more like me.
And they don't recoil quite as much as the 230gr....hence, back on the target a little quicker....and don't believe everything Tard says..LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
When one is having issues have any included damage to the mouth of the case? I am getting the case mouth torn frequently.

Like a chip driven out of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts