Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a little pissed off right now because I have had my xd for maybe 6mos. and the finish is **** already :x I clean it after every trip to the range which is quite often. Today I go to clean it and the black on the slide just starts wearing off BAD! I should have known after the first trip to the range some spots were showing already. I just dont understand how a company can put such a crapola finish on a gun :roll: And then have the balls to charge to get it refinished. not only that but then tell me the finish isnt that good and try and sell me a better finish for more $$. So now im sending it in and waiting 3-4 weeks to get it back and trading it in on an h&k or anything for that matter. I have a Glock and Sig I shoot a ton more then this and still look as perfect as the day I bought them. :evil:

Why Springfeild, WHY :evil: :cry:

Sorry for the rant and run on but this really blows.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i dont know what "springfield armory" you called.... but the one i called told me they pay for a new finish (of your choice) and the shipping too...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
therooster said:
i dont know what "springfield armory" you called.... but the one i called told me they pay for a new finish (of your choice) and the shipping too...
The contact us number on the site 1800 680 6866 What did you tell them that I didnt?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
nystevecf said:
therooster said:
The contact us number on the site 1800 680 6866 What did you tell them that I didnt?

i emailed this nice girl named Megan ([email protected] i think) and told her i was having finish problems... she gave me an invoice # and told me to send it in and it will be refinnished under warranty and the shipping will be taken care of.

i dont recall one person here paying for a new Kote from SA.... its all under warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
therooster said:
nystevecf said:
therooster said:

i emailed this nice girl named Megan ([email protected] i think) and told her i was having finish problems... she gave me an invoice # and told me to send it in and it will be refinnished under warranty and the shipping will be taken care of.

i dont recall one person here paying for a new Kote from SA.... its all under warranty.
odd, I spoke to a guy named Tom. I guess I will try the email route. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well I am not sure how many people have problems with their finish. I is a little concerning because I am looking at getting a XD 40 sub to carry and I don’t want to have any finish problems. I have an old HS2000 and its finish is fine except for the front corners there is a little worn off. I know this is not Springfield. I called SA to ask about there finish and if they were seeing this problem and if they were changing the finish. The women cant remember her name said that it is Colt gun finish and that you will have no problems as long as you take care of it. She said it is the same as the 1911. I don’t know it does not seem to a problem for everyone but enough people have a problem that it seem they should make some kind of advancement. I have heard several people say that they take care of there XD and they are seeing some finish wear.

So Springfield what is it going to be. Are you going to act like nothing is wrong and jerk people around or anti up and live up to your reputation as a top notch gun manufacture.

Anyway I will buy and XD sub 40 and see for my self about this finish. And I will be pissed if I take care of it and it wears and you will hear form me.

Bla bla bla

I don’t have a glock, but if you want to compete with it or kick its butt you better make a better finish it seems.

·
Registered
347 Posts
attackrott said:
Anyway I will buy and XD sub 40 and see for my self about this finish. And I will be pissed if I take care of it and it wears and you will hear form me.
Prepare to be pissed, then, because ALL finishes wear if you use the gun. Even my old Firestar, with its very tough electroless nickel finish has a bit of wear and a number of small scratches.

Sure, the XD could benefit from a better finish, but if all you're worried about is 'wear' then get something else. Perhaps a delicate crystal sculpture to display on a shelf somewhere. Guns are tools, and tools get dirty and worn with use.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So far after 5 months and approximately 800 rounds I have not had any problems with my finish. I do clean and lube after every trip to the range and wipe down with coated cloth after handling. But I think the real solution to the finish is Armadillo. That is great stuff.

Also there are many who want a refinish free because of normal holster wear
I think the coverage is for rust.

That being said I am thinking about gettinig my XD refinished by Rich at Canyon Creek. Not because I need it but because I love the look of the new finish he offers. I think it was called fusion. :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
orc4hire What is this about, are you trying to pick a fight on Monday. Because it is a junky Monday for me. Anyway do you think I am unreasonable. I have other guns and I understand that the finish wears. My old HS2000 has had tons of rounds through it and been beet up and abused. It has scratches and some wear on the finish. I am not crying because it is not rhino coating on a truck bed. I am talking about abnormal wear. Maybe I did not specify unusual wear or it abnormally coming off. I don’t expect a glock finish. Like I said I don’t own a glock or promote them but from everything I have read and people that have them the finish seems awesome. I do know some people that have XD’s and have has some local gun smiths refinish them and the finish seems to be better than the stock finish. I did not bag on your gun and I will still buy one or two but we can press Springfield Armory to make some advances. Some things I have read, either these people are lying about taking care of their guns or they are morons or some people have had unusual wear on theirs. I personally love my HS2000. I love the feel, handling and safety features and would like the XD to become the leading polymer gun around. Sorry if I sound grouchy or aggravated but like I said it is being a crappy bad Monday for me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
attackrott said:
orc4hire What is this about, are you trying to pick a fight on Monday.
I don't start fights. But if one drops in my lap....

Because it is a junky Monday for me. Anyway do you think I am unreasonable. I have other guns and I understand that the finish wears.
I'm glad to hear that.

My old HS2000 has had tons of rounds through it and been beet up and abused. It has scratches and some wear on the finish. I am not crying because it is not rhino coating on a truck bed. I am talking about abnormal wear. Maybe I did not specify unusual wear or it abnormally coming off.
You didn't. What you said was exactly what I quoted you saying. "And I will be pissed if I take care of it and it wears and you will hear form me." That you would be pissed if there was any wear. That's what you SAID. If that's not what you MEANT, well, that's not my fault.

I don’t expect a glock finish. Like I said I don’t own a glock or promote them but from everything I have read and people that have them the finish seems awesome. I do know some people that have XD’s and have has some local gun smiths refinish them and the finish seems to be better than the stock finish. I did not bag on your gun
Well, that's true. I don't own an XD.

and I will still buy one or two but we can press Springfield Armory to make some advances. Some things I have read, either these people are lying about taking care of their guns or they are morons or some people have had unusual wear on theirs.
What I suspect is that the finish itself is okay (not great, not as good as it could be, but okay), but that it's not always applied properly at the factory. You get most of the guns going out with an acceptable finish, but a certain percentage where the application didn't go quite right and which may show excessive wear. Springfield is willing to re-finish those guns under their lifetime warranty, so it's at worst a nuisance. Won't stop me from buying one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me when I tell you none of my guns are safe queens, I shoot them all just as much as the other. The XD has less rounds thru it then my G27 and Sig P229 yet the finish looks like ****.

If there was no problem with their regular finish why are they offering "armor coat" and another finish that I can only hope is glocks coating since they say they job it out and cant give me a turnaround time. I will try and get it refinished for free and then sell it or pay for the finish and then sell it. Either way there is no place for such a gun in my collection. Hell Im sure highpoint would offer a better finish.

You are correct though a gun is a tool, I keep my knives spotless and sharp as well as my other tools. Why? because a clean well kept tool does it's job better then one that isnt. And for the record my handgun is the tool that will save my life so I do treat it like a diamond or gold.

Rooster, I never mentioned anything about rust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't totally relate to the finish problem as much because I have a Bi-tone and it is holding up pretty well and even getting some nice holster wear but I will say this: Springfield really needs to nail this finish thing down. Not so much the quality but just the consistency. I know thy aren't made by SA but they're probably in a better position to do something about it than the Croats.

Like I said, I love my bitone. However, I am absolutely positive that I have seen bi-tones with a different texture, color and sheen than mine. I thought I might have been crazy but I took a couple of friends to the shop with me and they agree. There is an obvious difference between the slide on mine and the slide on the one in the shop. Also, I have two friends with the XD .40's and the slide finish on theirs is noticably different between theirs as well. One is more dark greyish looking and matted and delicate, the other is a deep black, more of a semi-gloss and is pretty robust. I don't know what to attribute this to but I called SA and they didn't know what to tell me. Who knows? Maybe they'll get you fixed up this time.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have yet to have any finish problems with my XDs. What do you people use to clean them, steel wool and diamond dust? I wipe mine down with CLP and dry it off and it fine. I wonder if the cleaning products you guys use arre appropriate for use on guns.

Also, I have dealt with SA support a few times now. They are nothing if not nice, polite and helpful. Sometimes I get someone new who does not know about guns but generaly they are some of the best and even pay my shipping when I have a RMA.

·
Registered
347 Posts
manygunner said:
What do you people use to clean them, steel wool and diamond dust?

Remember the guy who used metal polish on his slide, repeatedly, and then complained that the finish was wearing?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
manygunner said:
I have yet to have any finish problems with my XDs. What do you people use to clean them, steel wool and diamond dust? I wipe mine down with CLP and dry it off and it fine. I wonder if the cleaning products you guys use arre appropriate for use on guns.

Also, I have dealt with SA support a few times now. They are nothing if not nice, polite and helpful. Sometimes I get someone new who does not know about guns but generaly they are some of the best and even pay my shipping when I have a RMA.
No diamond dust here, just good old paint stripper and sand paper. Like I said It dosent happen with the other guns I own so im guessing it's not the user or the cleaner. No reason in talking with those of you that are in denial though, H&K or Kimber here I come. good day.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
manygunner said:
What do you people use to clean them, steel wool and diamond dust?
i have finish problems... but like i said before, i use the hell outa my gun.

i shoot around 1k rounds a month all from holster and cover, and i practice constantly with holster presentation from cover, and... i carry all day every day. so my slide is pretty worn out.

i use any standard gun cleaner or brake cleaner, and lube with hoppes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
nystevecf said:
H&K or Kimber here I come. good day.
So your going to trade/sell your XD and buy an ~$800 gun because of the finish only?
Last time I checked a finish didn't make a gun perform better than another.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mattsnuked said:
nystevecf said:
H&K or Kimber here I come. good day.
So your going to trade/sell your XD and buy an ~$800 gun because of the finish only?
Last time I checked a finish didn't make a gun perform better than another.
Sure am.

Tengu, the way I look at it is its only a matter of time with bare metal like that not being treated or anything. I think even if I soak it in oil it will happen given it really dosent have a protective coating.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts