Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a SC-XD40 and was wondering how much velocity is lost compared to 4 inch barrels?

Also, approximately what velocity is needed for a bullet to properly expand?

I can't seem to find much on these questions so anyone who knows about this stuff, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
JD

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
not positive here, but I believe for rifles, you loose about 50 fps per inch of barrel length under the test length.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I haven't seen anything as specific to discuss terminal performance related to velocity. Some "rule of thumb" stuff was discussed in a recent. The June issue of "Combat Handguns" had an article that discussed "The best 9mm loads for Compacts and Subcompacts." by Chuck Taylor.

Big idea to keep in mind is that different bullets are built to perform at different velocities, balancing expansion and weight retention.

For a measured relationship between velocity and barrel length,
see John BercovitzSEMI-EXPERIMENTALLY-DETERMINED INTERNAL BALLISTICS OF THE 45 AUTO

·
Registered
623 Posts
Short barrels loses enough velocity that Speer makes a .40 caliber Gold Dot Short Barrel round especially designed to properly expand at the lower velocity. Over a buck a shot but good self defense ammo is not cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts