Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a carry gun for my girl. She can handle up to a 9mm pretty well. A couple of my choices are the XD subcompact and a Ruger SR9C. I have an XD45 that I love and have had zero problems with and all my rugers are revolvers except for the mandatory MKII. She has small hands is why I was thinking of the SR9, a much slimmer grip. Does anyone own both, and what are your thoughts of pro's, cons either way. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Let HER do the shopping, you do the paying. Get her to handle and/or shoot anything she can get her hands on. It's her decision all the way.

The "best" gun is the one SHE likes, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in her hand like she was born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time she pulls the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In HER hand. It's how well SHE shoots it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so she won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - She doesn't want to scrimp on her "life protector" weapon, but she probably doesn't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, she won't practice with it like she should.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The XD9 subcompact is an excellent pistol. It is extremely reliable and safe, and will eat just about anything you feed it.. The grip girth is actually smaller than on a Glock 19 (another popular pistol). If she has fairly small hands, you may want to have her try an XDm 3.8 compact. The XDm has replaceable back-straps and the smallest one might fit her hands better.

One thing to keep in mind is that the smaller and lighter the gun, the greater the felt recoil. So before you plunk down the cash, make sure she shoots one or two mags-full to get a good idea about the recoil and how controllable it is in her hands.

Ultimately, it will be HER gun, so let HER make the decision as to which one to get, otherwise you will end up with a "Safe Queen" that she will hate and won't want to carry.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Whatever gun you get I'd recommend you take a look at Crimson Trace Lasergrips right now. CT is doing their first every rebate and they are doing a free batteries for life thing too. It's a stellar deal that I just took advantage of. Just a friendly tip.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have to disagree. She should learn proper shooting techniques and how to hit what she aims at, THEN go for the bells and whistles.
I agree with you!

Have her learn the proper way of shooting the gun using the iron sights (sight alignment, sight picture, clear front sight, fuzzy rear sight, fuzzy target, etc). Don't want to get her overly dependent on the laser and then, God forbid, have the laser fail during an emergency and then not know what to do.

Laser aren't much good when sooting at a moving target. You have to shine the laser on the target to be effective, but you can't very easily lead a moving target with a laser. (Nothing to shine it on) :-o

·
Registered
480 Posts
Grip comfort and her ease of access to features such as ambi magazine release, manual safety, etc. is subjective and based on the owner's personal preference.

Another thing to consider too before buying is the gun's trigger pull. Some like it on the heavy side and some prefer otherwise.

The XD9 subcompact and SR9 are both great carry guns. You may also want to check out Smith & Wesson M&P compact since it has interchangeable palmswell grip sizes.

Let her shoot so she can get a good feel of all three guns and let her decide based on her grip comfort and how accurate she is with the desired firearm.

Good luck shopping:)

·
Premium Member
127,264 Posts
I have to disagree. She should learn proper shooting techniques and how to hit what she aims at, THEN go for the bells and whistles.

I agree with your disagreement. IMO laser sights are a crutch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It comes with a 13 round flush and a 16 round with a grip extension. She already knows how to shoot, she shoots a 5 shot 38 revolver pretty well and a Ruger MKII every time we go to the range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The XD9 subcompact is an excellent pistol. It is extremely reliable and safe, and will eat just about anything you feed it.. The grip girth is actually smaller than on a Glock 19 (another popular pistol). If she has fairly small hands, you may want to have her try an XDm 3.8 compact. The XDm has replaceable back-straps and the smallest one might fit her hands better.

One thing to keep in mind is that the smaller and lighter the gun, the greater the felt recoil. So before you plunk down the cash, make sure she shoots one or two mags-full to get a good idea about the recoil and how controllable it is in her hands.

Ultimately, it will be HER gun, so let HER make the decision as to which one to get, otherwise you will end up with a "Safe Queen" that she will hate and won't want to carry.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said. My wife LOVES her XD9sc.
I liked it so much that I bought myself an identical XD9sc and am selling my XD45c at the next gun show 3 weeks from now.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have an XD40 Service and the grip fits my 5 foot tall wife's hands well enough for her to shoot it pretty well. Th XD9SC will have a shorter grip but the same size around. It should fit your wife's hands alright.

I have also handled an SR9C, my wife's female cousin has one. It is a fine gun and I am a big fan of ruler. I own 3 of their revolvers and a 10/22, but I have one problem with the SR9c, the manual safety. If you and your girlfriend feel comfortable with a manual safety on carry gun that's fine, but I do not like them.

A revolver like an S&W Bodyguard or a Ruler LCR are also options to think about. They are simple and reliable.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Definitely let her shoot one and make that decision on her own. That is what I did with my wife. I figured she would want to go the route of my S&W 642 snubbie and she was thinking the same thing till she went to the range and tried it out for herself. She HATED it. She shot several other pistols but kept coming back to my XD9sc. She just liked the fit, feel, and how accurate she was with it. We ended up getting her one of her own. But just because it is the one my wife chose doesn't mean it is the best one for your wife or the one your wife would choose. As others have mentioned... let HER decide what she wants to go with by trying several out first if you have that option. My wife loves the one SHE picked out so much... she is always asking for "range dates" so she can go practice. If I would have gotten her one she hated she probably wouldn't be so eager to go to the range and practice (or have fun)!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
As the others said... Forget about the laser until later, unless she plans on using it for Snap-Cap trigger practice. A laser is great for showing one just how much they're moving/milking/jerking the pistol during trigger pull.

My wife has an XD9 Service she shoots great and can shoot my XD9sc very well, but she can't conceal either of them as well as she can her SC9c (which she shoots very well also).

Since the SR9c is nicely rounded, like the XDm 3.8c, you might want to throw that into the mix for consideration.

Also... As others have said... If it's going to be HER pistol, feel free to help her weigh the pro & con of each, but ultimately, let HER (strike that... MAKE her) make the decision (mostly so she can't blame you for getting her something she doesn't like / can't use.) ;)
I speak from experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts