Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably just gonna turn into a "i like this round better than the other", but what are you guys general opinions on this?

Down the road it WILL be used for concealed carry.

I like that the 9mm obviously holds more rounds, and the ammo is cheaper to shoot.

Whereas the .40 hits a little harder, and you can buy a .357sig barrel and have 2 guns in one.

money isn't falling from the tree's otherwise i'd buy both :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have both and love them both. It's a tough call. As you said, more and cheaper rounds... that's probably the 9's best selling quality of the two. I guess I'd have to say get the 9mm first and then do what I did and save for a few months and get the 40 also.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ditto littlejack. I also have both. btw: I'm more accurate with the 9.

Hey littlejack, what case is that in your photo and does it hold extra mags?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I know this is probably just gonna turn into a "i like this round better than the other", but what are you guys general opinions on this?
All the arguments about velocity, size of the hole it makes, wounding capability, penetration, magazine capacity, ammo cost, felt recoil, etc. are very common and ongoing, but for me it just comes down to which round I'm more accurate and comfortable with.

And for me it's 9mm.

Nice set of XDs ya got there, little jack!

·
Registered
823 Posts
What if you bought the 40 and then down the road go on pistolgear.com and get the 9mm conversion barrel for about $156. Not sure if it fits sub compact though.
That is what I want to do with my XDm when I get the xtra $$$$.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Nice pair of subs L J. 9mm is cheaper/less recoil and more rounds per mag. Anything I missed? Go with what you shoot best and what you can afford.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Get whatever one you shoot best with. That way your more accurate and can follow up your shots better.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've had both and I prefer the 9mm.

Everyone has to choose for themselves.

You have the main points for the 9mm over the 40 S&W
- higher round capacity - 13+1 in the SC with the flush fit mag
- if you shoot a lot (cheaper to shoot)
- for me it's quicker back on target

You would not be wrong to pick the 40S&W - I'd shoot both and decide what is more important to you - higher capacity or larger caliber

·
Registered
276 Posts
Judging solely based on ballistics the .40SW wins. But out of a 3.5" or smaller barrel the gap between the rounds is substantially closed in terms of the energy each round will hit with, this isnt takin ginto account the diameter of the cavity. The performance out of a 3" IMO is close enough that I would choose the 9mm, and be happy with a higher capacity.

In the end, it is what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
280 Posts
What if you bought the 40 and then down the road go on pistolgear.com and get the 9mm conversion barrel for about $156. Not sure if it fits sub compact though.
I would pick the 40 because you can go 357 and 9 :arrow: EFKFiredragon Products
I bought the .40SC and have bought the 9 conversion barrel from EFK (I believe they're the only ones selling the SC conversion barrel... at least the only one that I was able to find.) You'll hear people talk about practicing with the 9 only because of possible problems with ejection. I have shot several hundred rounds through my XD with the 9 in it with no issues, but it is something to consider.

You'll also hear people talk about the recoil of the .40 being "snappier", but it's only marginally so. The 9 does have slightly less (10-15%?) recoil, so if you're recoil shy at all go that way.

If you can shoot both, do and then decide. If not, either will be an effective carry weapon and, with enough practice, you'll become proficient with either!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ditto littlejack. I also have both. btw: I'm more accurate with the 9.

Hey littlejack, what case is that in your photo and does it hold extra mags?
That's just a gun rug I bought from my gun club. I cut out some foam to make the guns more stable when riding in the case.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Shot placement is much much more important than capcacity IMO. Capacity is important if your not a very good shot. Which ever you decide spend the time to get accururate with either. With that said everyone should have at least one 9mm in there collection. You can't beat 50 rounds at walmart for less than 10 bucks. Two boxes of 9mm can be had for the same cost of 1 box of .40. My beretta 92 is an exellent range gun, I shoot the crap out of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got an XD9 SC myself. I like .40's very much, but figured small/light gun - smaller round. I don't know, but ordered some 124 gr. +P's from Double Tap just to be sure. An extra few rounds can't be a bad thing, too.
Now for the holster selection. Leaning towards an Andrews McDaniel II.

:p

·
Registered
30 Posts
I own a .40 subcompact and I love it.

I shoot it very well. And to compensate for the short barrel, I use 200g doubletap ammo that's rated at 1050fps out of a 4 inch pipe. This puts it at 1000fps out of the subcompact.

Granted, the muzzle flip is mean so you have to train accordingly.

Sure, the 9mm is cheaper and holds more rounds and these are huge advantages.

But the .40 just turns me on. What can I say... :)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have both the 40 and 9 SC. I was VERY torn between which one to carry. I LOVE the .40 S&W as a SD round, but the appeal of 13+1 in the 9mm flush mag was strong. I rapid fire slightly better with the 9mm than the .40 S&W, and that was the final decision-maker for me. More rounds + better accuracy = carry piece - the XD9SC. I researched ammo and settled on Corbon's 115 gr. DPX. It's been tested to shoot at 1200 from a 3.5" barrel, and Corbon claims 16" of penetration due to the design of the bullet.

Works for me.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Shot placement is much much more important than capcacity IMO. Capacity is important if your not a very good shot. Which ever you decide spend the time to get accururate with either. With that said everyone should have at least one 9mm in there collection. You can't beat 50 rounds at walmart for less than 10 bucks. Two boxes of 9mm can be had for the same cost of 1 box of .40. My beretta 92 is an exellent range gun, I shoot the crap out of it.
:shock:
When was the last time you bought ammo?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Shot placement is much much more important than capcacity IMO. Capacity is important if your not a very good shot. Which ever you decide spend the time to get accururate with either.
I agree...to a point. In the stress of a live combat situation, even he best shot might spray lead. Face it, our practice doesn't come close to a real gunfight, and the stress and adrenaline level just isn't there. I'd rather have a couple extra than run out.

I AM accurate with both the 40 and 9, I'm MORE accurate with the 9.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts