Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to add an XD9SC to my small collection this weekend. I love the Don's guide rod and 22# spring in my service model, but can't find anything but the factory rod/spring for the subbie. Anyone find anything different? Or maybe the sub doesn't need the tinkering?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
One indication of how well a recoil spring is working is seeing where the empty brass lands. It is a combination of bullet weight, slide mass, firmness of hand grip etc. When I bought my 9mm SC the brass landed just off to my right.
When I was playing with reloading and springs on my 9mm HS2K I found that the order of events is pretty much ejected brass moves in closer and closer until it starts hitting the head and then dribbling off of the wrists. Even at hitting the head, the functioning was starting to get marginal on stovepipe ejections (a failure). So having the brass land a foot or two off to the right is as good as you should expect for consistant operation. My XD9SC was right there with factory ammo, so any lightening of the spring has a strong risk of having jams happen during use.
I think that the factory did a good job on the R&D on this sub-compact pistol and I wouldn't mess with it. However the Service (4" models) have a much larger operating window and can be tweaked for user preference. Even then I don't notice much with my XD9s ( both actually HS2K gen 1), but like the heavy spring in my XD40.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. that explains why i can't find any. although your guide rod looks so much nicer (i'm getting a bi-tone), and springs are cheaper than the whole assembly. ah well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts