Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Ive had my sub for almost 7 months now and I have over 1000 rounds with it. My previous carry was an HK 9 compact and I was quite amazed at the grouping I got with the XD Sub right out of the box.

Anyway, Im looking for a couple things and Ive done some searching on the forum and I figured I would just do one post and get your opinions.

Im in need of:

1. A better holster -- Im a shorts/Jeans T-Shirt guy who lines in the HOT town of Miami ... I like my holsters in my pants up front or to the side. Anyone have any luck with one in particular they like?

2. Sights, I have always had trijicon 3 dot sights. Anything anyone else likes better?

3. Hi Cap Mag ... Somewhere I saw a 15rd mag with what looked like a grip extention on it for a 3" XD9 -- anyone know who sells them ???

4. Grip -- I really need something like the Pachmayr slip-on but the grip saftey is in the way ...

Your help is greatly appreciated ...

PS ... nice board -- hope to continue to participate in the future ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
454 Posts
For holsters -you will get tons of answers... but it is personal preference. The blade tech is a nice holster lots of guys use it on the board.

Sights-TFO's nice sughts you would like them.

15 rnd mag w/sleeve--You can call springfield directly and order them. They can take quite awhile to get though. Mine only took about a week but I ordered at the right time,people have been waiting again. If you can find somewhere that has the mag for the .40 cal sub compact with the sleeve and use that in your 9mm and get 16 or 17 rounds of 9mm into
it.

Grips-The pachmayr or hogue hand all will work but with some trimming around the grip safety. Lots of guys use a peice of bicycle tire tube cut to fit and swear by that. I haven't done it as I have TRU-GRIPS on mine, but the ones I have seen look like they would work great.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
MiamiTJ said:
psss
This is the holster i'm considering (out of stock) :

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=10H

These are the sights im considering:

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=26LS

This is the mag I cant find "in stock" anywhere ...

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=35PA

I have no idea where to even start with a grip solution ...

Im not sure about this one:

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=39PA
I have the pachmyr (sp) grip for my XD40 service model and it works very well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
MiamiTJ said:
...1. A better holster -- Im a shorts/Jeans T-Shirt guy who lines in the HOT town of Miami ... I like my holsters in my pants up front or to the side. Anyone have any luck with one in particular they like?
Check out "the Intimidator" from Pro-tech

http://www.protechoutdoors.com/holsters.htm

I use it in Tampa with shorts and a t-shirt, and it works great, even carries a spare mag. I am also waiting on then Pro-Stealth from Destantis

http://www.desantisholster.com/n87.html

Which is very similar. They also have them without the mag pouch in case you want less bulk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
as for the mags, try gunbroker.com. thats where i bought two for my wife's xd9 subcompact and we love them. 15 round, factory genuine springfield parts with the grip sleeve extensions. paid less than $50 for two, shipped to my door. best deal i've found yet!

fyi - you can use the xd40 mags in the xd9 with no trouble. i've done it with the standard 12 cap mags for the 40, fitting 17 9mm rounds in it! 16 fit comfortably, but 17 will probably fit well with a relaxed spring. if only could buy the grip sleeve on their own, could just use the 40 mags. either which way. as for holster - thats what i'm in search of now!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ill be a the black sheep on this one....

1. For holster, I have a Fist #1 (see my avatar pic) I can hide my gun under just about anything.

2. Magazines, I would carry the sub compact mag and use the 15 round with grip extention as a backup. You bought a sub compact so you can conceal it better, dont handicap it, the grip is the hardest part to conceal..

3. For a grip, I would leave it alone because your clothing wont stick to the grip and tend to ride up or make the gun print.

4. Sights, all of my carry guns have night sights except for my sub XD. In a shooting at night, I probably wont be staring down my sights much, but I do ALOT of point shooting and shoot on average over 1000 rounds a month. I like XS Big Dots for carry sights, they are 24/7 sights and VERY fast to aquire.

Thats my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
33 Posts
My primary carry holster is a comp-tac c-tac. Gunners Alley now lists them but I had mine before that. I ordered mine on a monday or tuesday afternoon. The guy appologized that he didn't think he could get it made and shipped that day. It went out the next and I had it on friday!
Basically it's a tuckable, kydex, adjustable cant holster that uses two loops/hooks for support. It wouldn't surprise me if GA was cheaper.
http://www.comp-tac.com/

My alternate carry holster is a Don Hume JIT belt slide. Got it from GA. Used it as a cross draw for a while and when I don't want to deal with IWB.

Don't forget to use a good belt. A quality belt is worth it. It your comfort that you dealing with.

As far as mags.... I use a short mag as my spare normally. It rides in my left front pocket just fine. When I want more rounds available, I add a 15rd mag in a single mag carrier (Don Hume) on my off side.

I'm still using my factory sights but have been debating changing them. The outline is fine but I tried cleaning them....

So far, the factory grip is fine for me. If I want to change something I'll likely add some thin strips of grip tape and see how it does.

Steelheart

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll second the motion on the CTAC. The newest version can be used with all three barrel lengths as well.

I have never had any trouble with Trijicon three dots. My wife says she loves them because they're... "soothing". I think she means being able to see them on the nightstand at night. This is a nice feature. That said, I have been considering Truglo TFOs. The quality control issues that have been brought up are the only thing holding me back. I wish Trijicon would develop the same type of item.

I would also go with the decal grips. I was suprised by how much of a palm swell they tend to give. For the $8.00 investment, its worth trying. www.pistol-gear.com is awsome.

Good luck in your endeavors!

-MC

·
Registered
33 Posts
Technically there are two versions of the C-TAC. An enclosed muzzle (I think) and a slide version. I have the slide version. Figured just in case I do get a bigger xd I already have a holster.

One drawback to the slide, you get more lint and other crap on/in the end of your gun. Even with the SC. Trust me on this as I end up wiping it off every morning before I holster it. I'd do it at night but the gf is usually already asleep and the lights are out so I can't see. FYI gun sleeps in his own little steel room with a quick access door (children around...).

It also felt right. A plastic gun in a plastic holster. :shock:

I will say, it took me a bit to get used to the kydex. My first (and still primary) iwb holster was for my 1911. Sparks spoils you a bit :lol:

Steelheart

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you go to a gun show, ask every dealer there.. I asked about 7 of them at the last one I went to and got answers from "What is that?" to "You can't find those anywhere".. I finally got the answer I was looking for--"Did you want that in 9mm or 40?".. He had a whole box of them, but they were under his table and out of plain sight.. It's the real deal from SA, and he only wanted 20 bucks for it. I plan on hunting for more at this weekend's show.. If I find someone, I'll see if they have a website where you can get them an I'll post a link here.

--CG--

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will also be the black sheep and say that i am not a fan of kydex or plastic holsters...but its all your personal preference. I just purchased (yesterday) a holster from a guy at BGGK show who took one of his leather ITWB holsters and soaked it in hot water then fit it to my gun perfectly...IT IS AMAZING...he runs www.holstersrus.com...real nice guy and excellent price for a high quality leather ITWB holster...he may or may not fit the holsters that he ships.
Good luk, a fine holster completes the pair for a fine gun!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just recently bought the new Bianchi Carrylok for my XD 40 sub and love it! It is leather with an open top with auto retention. All you do is sweep your middle finger over the latch on the draw. Simple and sweet! I think the model number is 82. Give it a run guys its worth it for CCW.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts