Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new XD40 Sub-Compact out for it's maiden voyage. All in all, I was very impressed. It's very accurate and easy to shoot. However, I did have two failures to fire. One from a 100 count box of Winchester "White Box," FMJ, and one from a 100 count box of Remington "Green Box" HP. Both were new boxes from Walmart. Each time I rechambered the round and it fired.

I have shot lots of both brands of ammo and have never had any problems with hard primers. I think I may have a weak hammer spring or something. I'm curious if any of you have had a similar problem?

I'd like to use my XP40 as a carry weapon, but need to work out this issue first. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Stove

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Was this a new or used pistol?

Change ammo and or try a couple hundred more rounds to sheck reliability. Check the firing pin hole and see if anything is stick in there. Take the slide off and look at the bottom of the slide. Push the firing pin safty down (the oval looking thing with the steps) push it all the way in and pish the firing pin forward until the tip sticks out. It should be a round pin. See if its broke or looks odd.

If new you can get a extra power firing pin spring but it only comes with the wolff guide rods and thats for the service model.

get a new firing pin spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought the xd-40 sub-compact, and have had a few problems
feeding the ammo. I shot Winchester and Remington hp, and same
problem with both. I also have noticed that if your thumb is a hair to high
on the grip, your thumb tends to catch the lock on the slide while firing.
Other than that, great gun.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
tightlines said:
I just bought the xd-40 sub-compact, and have had a few problems
feeding the ammo. I shot Winchester and Remington hp, and same
problem with both. I also have noticed that if your thumb is a hair to high
on the grip, your thumb tends to catch the lock on the slide while firing.
Other than that, great gun.
Sounds like limpwrist and be sure to keep your thumb down a small piece off skate tape in the notch helps and or decal grips.If you have big hands the rubber decals help a ton 8) http://www.xd-hs2000.com/grips.html
Also look at these pics you will have to trim
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=21789
Firing pin should look like this
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/slidedisassembly2.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Fella's.

Thanks for the replys!

Ajamesp51, I checked out the firing pin and it looked a-okay. It's a nice little rounded tip. Nothing seems out of alignment and no gunk or debris fowling the works.

I have shot tons of both the White and Green box ammo in other firearms and never had a problem. And I've never heard of either having hard primers. So I'm starting to think its a weak firing pin spring. I guess I the one in a million guy to get a bum spring - I wonder if SA will send me one or if I'll have to find an authorized gunsmith, or send it back to the factory for repair?

Tightlines, Have you had failure to fire problems with other ammo as well? Or just the white and green box?

R/T, Thanks for the great links!! The way I talk, a picture is worth 10,000 words! - I feel my grip is fine. I haven't had any problems with stovepiping.

Stove

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the Tip R/T, will look into the grips. Also, I was considering polishing my barrel with a dremmel and a brass polish brush. What are the advantages of polishing the barrel? I live on the west coast of florida where the humidity is 90% or better every day, do you know of any chemicals that I could use on the barrel to prevent rusting? :?:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
tightlines said:
Thanks for the Tip R/T, will look into the grips. Also, I was considering polishing my barrel with a dremmel and a brass polish brush. What are the advantages of polishing the barrel? I live on the west coast of florida where the humidity is 90% or better every day, do you know of any chemicals that I could use on the barrel to prevent rusting? :?:
No real advantage but bling factor .The hood gets all scuffed any way.
I have a small dual action sander I stripped mine whith and than polished it with mothers mag polish and a wool pad.Then coated with blue amordillo
No rust and it been pretty humid here.It's a high quailty piece of steel.
Their is a bunch of threads on this here is one
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=22538&highlight=barrel+polish
Contact for that service work on you firing pin spring.I would think they would just mail you one.
[email protected]
This is Megan E-mail and she is the best rep. they have and was very helpful when I had my service amory coated
Also thanks Ajames he put up that dissasmble
I used it to polish the ridges off my triggers and it makes a world of differnce in feel and control

·
Registered
415 Posts
Did you check for a dimple on the primer before retrying to fire the cartridge?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Nogoa, R/T,

Yes, I did check for a dimple on the unfired round and didn't see one. The other spent casings seemed to have a healthy ding in them.

I e-mailed Springfield Armory late last night and received a reply from Megan by 10:00AM (I'm impressed!!) She suggested I check / clean for oil or grease around the firing pin and retry. She say's the firing pin should be kept un-lubed, otherwise light primer strikes can occur. If problems persist, say's I'll need to return the whole pistol to SA for service (I'm not impressed, especially with so many top notch gun smiths all over the country.)

I inspected the pin and found a nominal amount of fouling, but (surely) not enough to impair a quality pistol. - I will do a thorough degreasing of the firing pin mechanism, and shoot another 2-300 rounds and see what happens.

How many of you remove your firing pin mechanism when doing a detailed clean? - Is it typically a high maintenance area?

Stove

·
Registered
5 Posts
R/T Performance said:
tightlines said:
No real advantage but bling factor .The hood gets all scuffed any way.
I have a small dual action sander I stripped mine whith and than polished it with mothers mag polish and a wool pad.Then coated with blue amordillo
No rust and it been pretty humid here.It's a high quailty piece of steel.
Well, I polished my barrel with steel wool and mothers. Also used burchwood bluing remover. Damn thing almost looks like a mirror.
On another note, went out to the range that same day, and got to shoot fully auto ar-15, and ak....wahoo!!! Thanks for all the tips R/T. :)

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
oops

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
stovepipe said:
Hi Nogoa, R/T,

Yes, I did check for a dimple on the unfired round and didn't see one. The other spent casings seemed to have a healthy ding in them.

I e-mailed Springfield Armory late last night and received a reply from Megan by 10:00AM (I'm impressed!!) She suggested I check / clean for oil or grease around the firing pin and retry. She say's the firing pin should be kept un-lubed, otherwise light primer strikes can occur. If problems persist, say's I'll need to return the whole pistol to SA for service (I'm not impressed, especially with so many top notch gun smiths all over the country.)

I inspected the pin and found a nominal amount of fouling, but (surely) not enough to impair a quality pistol. - I will do a thorough degreasing of the firing pin mechanism, and shoot another 2-300 rounds and see what happens.

How many of you remove your firing pin mechanism when doing a detailed clean? - Is it typically a high maintenance area?

Stove
I remove the firing pins from my guns and my wifes gun for a throuough cleaning after about every 3000 rounds. I have never had a light primer strike to date but I have had maybe a couple of "fail to fires" in about 5000 rounds due to bad primers or maybe the primers were not seated fully. They were hard hits but no bang.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts